Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   C70 S70 V70 Cars: The sound of water sloshing in the bulkhead (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=109788)

ElMagnifico Nov 22nd, 2010 07:14

The sound of water sloshing in the bulkhead

Hello everyone.

Re V70
I wonder can you advise me?

Over the past week or so, whenever I've turned left or right I've heard the sound of water moving across the bulkhead (when turning left it moves from left to right and vice versa).

There are no wanrinig lights displayed and no sign of leaking anywhere that I can see.

Has any one come across this? If so, what do I do.

Grateful for any advice or guidance.

E.M.

mattn388gfc Nov 22nd, 2010 07:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElMagnifico (Post 782277)
Hello everyone.

Re V70
I wonder can you advise me?

Over the past week or so, whenever I've turned left or right I've heard the sound of water moving across the bulkhead (when turning left it moves from left to right and vice versa).

There are no wanrinig lights displayed and no sign of leaking anywhere that I can see.

Has any one come across this? If so, what do I do.

Grateful for any advice or guidance.

E.M.

how old is it

jeff.warner Nov 22nd, 2010 08:27

Hi.
Is it from where the wipers live? because either end of that tray are'nt there drain holes, they may be blocked causing rainwater to build up and consequently slosh about, maybe I'm wrong!

JimDay Nov 22nd, 2010 11:12

Like Jeff W said there are drain holes in the wiper scuttle probably full of leaves or pine needles & other crap. If you look in the corners down behind the inner wheel arches you will see 2 rubber hoses attached to metal tubes (not the ones attached to the plastic scuttle cover) these are the ones that are probably blocked to do the job properly you will need to remove the plastic scuttle cover & clean out all the debris oh & while your in there check out your pollen filter on the passenger side of the scuttle under a black plastic cover

HTH
Jim

The Hitcher Nov 22nd, 2010 12:07

Sure it will be the the drain pipes, i recently had to replace the wiper motor on my Clio due to these blocking up, which was bloody annoying i can tell you! I think on the volvo' you get a warning like you have had or a wet floor before the real damage occurs
French cars! :loser:

JamesV70R Nov 22nd, 2010 12:19

Only other escape route for the water is down the air intakes ... so the car might get a bit humid!

Anyone know if there are drains from the bottom of those air intakes behind the bonnet?

julienhoulton Nov 22nd, 2010 13:27

plenums

IJulien (VLV70)

Paul Wildsmith Nov 22nd, 2010 17:50

I had this on my new S80 last year - required a drain hole to be created, but also ended up need to refit windscreen as clearly water was both getting in (exactly where I don't know) and not getting out easily. Volvo have a bulletin on the subject so your dealer knows what to do ..

john d Nov 22nd, 2010 18:20

If you should find that the rainwater drains aren't the cause of the problem, you might want to check the drain from the bottom of the heater/air con unit.

I have had symptoms similar to yours on my 1998 V70 - sloshing water when going round bends. I found it was due to a build-up of water in the bottom of the heater/air con unit, either due to the ingress of rain water, or more probably because of a build up of condensate from the cooling coil. As far as I can tell, the problem occurred because the drain connection was blocked, or was air locked.

From memory, to get to the drain, you need to remove the plastic trim panel from the side of the passenger foot-well, then lift the carpet and foam backing out of the way. You will find a cranked rubber drain pipe running from the bottom of the heater to a connection discharging through the bottom of the car. Pull the discharge connection off and by sealing a length of tubing (wide bore electrical earth sleeve and insulating tape should do it) to the rubber drain, suck/siphon the collected water out.

Good luck.

John

ElMagnifico Nov 22nd, 2010 21:07

Thanks for all the advice folks. I'll have a look when it's light in the morning.

mattn388gfc; it's 2001.

Fingers crossed.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

E.M.