Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   C30 Electrics : C30 - boot won't open (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=339602)

RPhoboS Apr 23rd, 2024 14:44

C30 - boot won't open

1 Attachment(s)
Ah the gift that keeps on giving....:angry_smile:

My boot won't open at all, when I press the release button I can hear it trying but more like whining. In the weeks leading up to the eventual death of it, I noticed it wouldn't open when the car was running :confused_smile:

I've found other posts for other models, and I'm guessing the c30 is different, 'special' :rolleyes: if you will.
I've removed the upper part of plastic trim but I've no idea what I'm looking at as the other threads didn't attach any useful photos (that I've spotted so far).

I've tried pressing down/pulling up - wedging trim removers from inside/outside.

Appreciate any assistance on this, MOT is due damn soon as well.
:speechless-smiley-5

My C30 is a 2007.

RPhoboS Apr 23rd, 2024 19:12

1 Attachment(s)
I managed to get it open, not really sure how (was after a drive) - and took off the plastic surrounds to see if anything was obvious.
It seems more likely that it's the motor, as you hear it trying to unlock the first press, then after 2 or 3 more times it doesn't make a sound at all. If you wait 10-20 seconds and try again, it'll try and do the same thing.

I removed it, wiped up the plethora of grease and grime, put the latch in the lock position and watched what it tried to do when you press the button on the hatch. I can see it basically doesn't get enough power to unlatch, so I'm guessing that means the little motor is toast ?
(I can see 2 screws holding it in but I imagine there's not a huge amount I can do to it)
But perhaps the whole mechanism needs replacing?
p/n 30784739

IainG Apr 23rd, 2024 19:17

Hi
I believe some of these cars have issues with the wiring loom. The constant twisting of the loom by the area of the hinge causes breaks or partial breaks in the wires or some of the wires. Worth a check??
That could explain your symptoms? Can you measure the voltage at the lock as you try to operate it. If the voltage is low it could point to the loom??

RPhoboS Apr 25th, 2024 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by IainG (Post 2946869)
Hi
I believe some of these cars have issues with the wiring loom. The constant twisting of the loom by the area of the hinge causes breaks or partial breaks in the wires or some of the wires. Worth a check??
That could explain your symptoms? Can you measure the voltage at the lock as you try to operate it. If the voltage is low it could point to the loom??

The other latch should arrive tomorrow, so when it comes I'll test out the wiring and see what it reports.
Not sure of the part number for it, any idea ?

RPhoboS Apr 26th, 2024 20:15

Fixed with the used part for £10.