Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   C70 Mk2 clutch position sensor, where is it ! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=326716)

Lancee Jul 25th, 2022 10:34

C70 Mk2 clutch position sensor, where is it !

Anyone have a clear picture/photo' of where the clutch position sensor is on a C70 Mk 2 ?

I have changed these on a V70 before, and that's some contorted fun, but I can't seem to even see where the sensor is located on a C70 (Mk 2). I have trawled the net but most info' seems to be for the Mk1.

I have the faulty sensor code, no cruise and engine service required message symptoms.

Lancee Jul 26th, 2022 15:13

Disappointed in you lot ! 51 views and nobody knows ? What a let down !

I have changed a couple of V70 Mk 3 sensors before, but it seems from what I can ascertain so far the ones for the C70 Mk2 are physically different, and not surprisingly more expensive.

Car goes into Volvo on Thursday then perhaps it will all become apparent.

markt1 Jul 26th, 2022 17:35

That's c70 owners for ya :regular_smile:
Have you crawled under the dash and looked for it....it must be there somewhere

Lancee Jul 26th, 2022 20:16

markt1, accept my sincere apologies, for I have recently further swelled the C70 ownership herd. But of course because I want something from someone I am still communicating !

Indeed, I have thoroughly grovelled whilst adopting a painfully contorted posture, one far exceeding the effort required to find the earlier V70 Mk 3 offending item/s. All to no avail.

Also something akin to a gynaecological skill set some how springs to mind.

Clan Jul 26th, 2022 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancee (Post 2836112)
Anyone have a clear picture/photo' of where the clutch position sensor is on a C70 Mk 2 ?

I have changed these on a V70 before, and that's some contorted fun, but I can't seem to even see where the sensor is located on a C70 (Mk 2). I have trawled the net but most info' seems to be for the Mk1.

I have the faulty sensor code, no cruise and engine service required message symptoms.

It is clipped to the body of the clutch master cylinder a rectangular black plastic housing with a wire plugged in .

Lancee Jul 26th, 2022 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2836403)
It is clipped to the body of the clutch master cylinder a rectangular black plastic housing with a wire plugged in .

Further to; it's been discovered ! Under the bonnet apparently attached to the side of the clutch master cylinder. All that grovelling under the dashboard!

Looks like access might be a challenge. I assume it's just clipped in place ? Might be useful to have some idea of the technique for removal if anyone knows ? It all looks plastic in there and the heavy handed breaking of a retaining clip on the master cylinder might result in the need for removal/replacement of same, a complex and costly procedure from what I can ascertain and one to be avoided.

Is the position sensor a mechanical device, or is it by induction/magnetic ?

Thanks Clan.

markt1 Jul 27th, 2022 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancee (Post 2836392)
markt1, accept my sincere apologies, for I have recently further swelled the C70 ownership herd. But of course because I want something from someone I am still communicating !

Indeed, I have thoroughly grovelled whilst adopting a painfully contorted posture, one far exceeding the effort required to find the earlier V70 Mk 3 offending item/s. All to no avail.

Also something akin to a gynaecological skill set some how springs to mind.

It's on the master cylinder then, ha ha no problem mate....I remember doing one on a van, I ended up like a slinky.

C70InSuffolk Apr 28th, 2024 19:01

C70 clutch position sensor location

It's actually easy to find, but you have to be a bit acrobatic.

Remove the grey panel under the steering wheel, held in place by one screw and a push fit. There is a lighting wire on the right hand side as well, so don't forget to pop the plug out instead of just yanking it.

You are going to need a head torch. Push the seat as far back as it will go and lie on your back. With your head under the clutch you should be able to now just look up and see the sensor.

It is very easy to remove - just pop the two ends off and unclip the electric plug. Fitting is the opposite - plug it in and pop the two ends back on.

My old one was soaking wet after 19 years and 94,000 miles. Clutch fluid. Someone else here has suggested wrapping a food bag around it. I think it's a good idea.

Lancee Apr 28th, 2024 19:21

An update to/follow up from my original post/s, and herin lies madness;

Largely/likely relevant to ECM-9320 Clutch pedal sensor, signal outside its permitted range.

To quote from VIDA;" The Engine control module (ECM) receives information about the clutch pedal position via a position sensor and a position switch. The position switch indicates that the clutch pedal has passed 75% of its possible movement. The diagnostic trouble code is generated if the engine control module (ECM) detects that the signal from the position sensor is faulty."

Therefore there is a sensor on the master cylinder under the bonnet AND a switch under the dash on the clutch pedal assembly.

The sensor under the bonnet is relatively (ha ha!) accessible, the switch on the clutch pedal box is not (it's an absolute b*stard !). I now know from experience.