Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   245 Rust Issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=331964)

mrredwards Apr 7th, 2023 08:53

245 Rust Issues

There is a 245 Estate for sale on Car and Classic.Does anybody know of any history PFC 406T. Its rather expensive £9250.Emailed the owner and he's only had it 6 months and in that time he's had it resprayed??Asked about any welding and to his knowledge it has not had any??Is that possible.What do you think of the price? Regards Ron

Burdekin Apr 7th, 2023 09:03

Ask for photos of when it was getting resprayed. There’s a lot of scope for an excellent job to a very poor job. How good was the prep and if you can get photos of it sanded before filler would be ideal. Did they take the glass out and panels off? If they don’t have pics I’d be very careful.

Moomoo Apr 7th, 2023 09:15

If you view it, take weak magnet with to check for filler. I’d be very cautious at that money. As Burdekin says, and believe me, he knows, history backed up with photographic evidence is paramount.
A super bodge and flash over can become regret pretty quickly.

Good luck!👍🤨

john.wigley Apr 7th, 2023 09:28

Our 1978 (S) 245DL, which we owned from 1992 to 1995, showed evidence of previous rust repairs on purchase and it was again breaking through when we sold it three years on. It was, however, much better than the early 1975 (N) 244DL, which we had for four years from 1984. The tops of the front wings (no liners on the very early cars) corroded right through on that! It might be apocryphal, but I believe Volvo may have used some rather inferior steel in the late '70s.

As 'Burdekin' says, do be careful! Take a magnet on your pre-purchase checks, malbe?! :regular_smile:

As to the price: as you say, it does seem steep. I'm no expert, but I would think around half of the advertised price nearer the mark. And why is this chap selling it on after only six months ... ? As always, caveat emptor.

Regards, John.

Edit: Typed before I read 'Moomoo's excellent advice, above. J.

Moomoo Apr 7th, 2023 09:37

This green 245 last changed hands in February this year.

The description says it LOOKS good, I’m always cautious of language, it used to be my profession.

It’s too expensive, for a mystery motor.

There’ll be another.🤔

mrredwards Apr 7th, 2023 09:44

245 Rust Issues

I did ask the seller why are you selling so soon after buying the car?No reply.I think he's just flipping it.I think its impossible that an old Volvo doesn't have a rust problem.He's just after a quick buck.Ron.

Lucien Apr 7th, 2023 10:40

The MOT history shows corrosion all over the place, oh and the odometer broken since at least 2007 so definitely not a 50,000 mile car.

https://car-check.co.uk/check/PFC406T

I would avoid, I don't think the advert is an honest description.

mrredwards Apr 7th, 2023 16:41

245 Rust Issues

Hi.Thanks for your time and effect finding the information on the old banger.I just don't believe the front of some people how can somebody be so deceptive and what about he's conscious.He basically doesn't give a toss.

Moomoo Apr 7th, 2023 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrredwards (Post 2889032)
Hi.Thanks for your time and effect finding the information on the old banger.I just don't believe the front of some people how can somebody be so deceptive and what about he's conscious.He basically doesn't give a toss.

Money, young man , money!

Nasty , necessary stuff!

Othen Apr 7th, 2023 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrredwards (Post 2889032)

What a valuable forum this is. In just a day it has uncovered a motor car you were interested in as nothing like as described.

For nearly 10 grand a 245 would have to be immaculato and have a good provenance. This motor car is not that.

Steer away!

:speechless-smiley-5