Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Poweflex Rear Trailing Arm Bushes (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=321486)

Org Nov 15th, 2021 07:16

Poweflex Rear Trailing Arm Bushes

I now need to replace the rear trailing arm bushes on my 2011 S80 and have been looking at a couple of options first option is the Powerflex bushes, has anybody used them and what are the results and your thoughts, how easy are they to fit compared to the original type, as this is my second option either to use genuine bushes or Lemforder any thoughts please .

JJD1 Nov 15th, 2021 08:18

Changed a few bushes on my old D5 . On my current 2.4 Petrol There are some also . I think its worth doing some due to the speed they wear out ! But let no one tell you they dont alter the comfort of the car at times etc . They do ! So going from a worn out bush to a good original spec is going to be a big difference anyway .Its down to you to decide if you want the extra life time that comes with a slightly harsher ride (depending on which bushes etc etc etc )

ferg55 Nov 18th, 2021 20:49

Bear in mind Org, your Executive will have softer bushes than standard S80's, so if you want to maintain that comfort level you'll need the correct Volvo parts.

Chrispynuts Nov 18th, 2021 21:00

Hi have fitted the powerflex bushes to my xc60, the powerflex bushes can be fitted without removing the suspension arm by hand but you need strong fingers to press the parts together also they are about three to four times more expensive but good

Org Nov 19th, 2021 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferg55 (Post 2786401)
Bear in mind Org, your Executive will have softer bushes than standard S80's, so if you want to maintain that comfort level you'll need the correct Volvo parts.

I wondered about that but find no difference in part numbers according to the dealer so it looks like the bushes are the same throughout the model range the biggest impact on ride comfort is the wheel and tyre package, as it runs on 245 40 18s the ride comfort is somewhat hard, I tried some 17s from a neighbour and found a remarkable difference in comfort, I would imagine if it were on 16s the comfort would be incredible but at the compromise of looks and that's if they fitted over the brakes as the 17s were slightly close and would need some 5mm spacers to be comfortable

Org Nov 19th, 2021 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrispynuts (Post 2786407)
Hi have fitted the powerflex bushes to my xc60, the powerflex bushes can be fitted without removing the suspension arm by hand but you need strong fingers to press the parts together also they are about three to four times more expensive but good

Powerflex are selling the bushes for £155 at the moment and Volvo want around £120 for the pair of bushes then there is the cost of the tool which I can get for around £100 from ebay , I have a discount code for GSF and the bushes work out around £50 for the pair for Lemforder, and I believe they are the same quality as the original. How do you find the ride comfort with the Powerflex as I already have a firm riding car due to the tyre and wheel package

Kev0607 Nov 23rd, 2021 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Org (Post 2786474)
I wondered about that but find no difference in part numbers according to the dealer so it looks like the bushes are the same throughout the model range the biggest impact on ride comfort is the wheel and tyre package, as it runs on 245 40 18s the ride comfort is somewhat hard, I tried some 17s from a neighbour and found a remarkable difference in comfort, I would imagine if it were on 16s the comfort would be incredible but at the compromise of looks and that's if they fitted over the brakes as the 17s were slightly close and would need some 5mm spacers to be comfortable

No spacers required & providing you buy original Volvo alloys that were an original option for your car, then they should fit straight on. I changed from 18’s to 17’s & they fit fine.

An 18” wheel has a 55mm offset & 16” is 50mm (17” is also 50mm), so there’s very little in the difference in that sense. Obviously, you’d need new tyres & a set of 16” or 17” alloys!

Org Nov 30th, 2021 11:54

I decided to go with the Lemforder bushes, so set about finding a garage to do the job. I found a garage able to do the job due to the special tool needed to press the original type of bush into the trailing arm, booked the car in, but when they went to do the job the bushes were OK, I had been told previously buy a different garage ( that didn't have the correct tool) that they showed signs of failing, so they have been left for the time being, good result for now more beer tokens for xmas:teeth_smile:

ferg55 Nov 30th, 2021 21:36

an interesting article on the subject:

http://casestudies.atlanticmotorcar....orrect-repair/