Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Servicing a V90 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318500)

Nippy Jul 19th, 2021 17:10

Servicing a V90

Next question for a newbie with a used V90

How much are Volvo services? I have been offered the first three for £599 which I think is very good value for dealer servicing.

Thanks for any input!

techwatcher Jul 19th, 2021 17:47

First service will be around £300, second service around £500, third service £300 again.

The discounted service packages are excellent value for money.

Nippy Jul 19th, 2021 18:03

Perfect that's what I was thinking, just had to convince Mrs H :regular_smile:

Terra1 Jul 19th, 2021 18:48

Out of interest, which dealer is offering this? I ask as I'm about to buy another XC90 (2020) and from what I've seen, the £599 is for new cars only?

Thanks!

Nippy Jul 19th, 2021 18:56

Parkside in Orpington.

Terra1 Jul 19th, 2021 20:09

Many thanks, and definitely offered on a used v90? If so, will be going back to my dealer to ask! :regular_smile:

Nippy Jul 19th, 2021 20:34

Yep called me today. He said it was for an ex demo one I think. Will confirm that tomorrow morning if you like.....

Terra1 Jul 19th, 2021 22:41

Many Thanks!

Nippy Jul 22nd, 2021 14:48

I haven't forgotten you! I am speaking to the dealer tomorrow.

Nippy Jul 24th, 2021 13:57

So I phoned the dealer yesterday to 'do the deal' re the service plan they offered. He stated that it was for ex demo vehicles only.

Anyway, disappointingly, when they tried to set it up, the offer had gone from £599 for the first three services (saving £475) to £699 for the first two (saving about £75) and they couldn't work out why that would be. Anyway, they are looking into it for me....

Nippy Jul 26th, 2021 14:19

Further call to the dealer today, apparently this offer is for post march 2021 cars. To say that I am disappointed to be offered the deal then not get it is an understatement.

Terra1 Jul 26th, 2021 20:21

Sorry to hear that, very poor to have offered it and then go back on this. I didn't even bother asking about it for my recent purchase.

Wabby Jul 27th, 2021 06:59

Last time I checked (Car was just under 1 year old and had just been serviced) my 2020 V90 was showing as £475 for the second service.

The 'service plan' I was offered saved me £2 over three years so naturally I told them where to put that.

Just logged onto the Digital Service this morning and its now showing £275 for the 2 year, 36k service on my D4. Confused, buy very happy if thats the case.

Wabby Jul 27th, 2021 07:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wabby (Post 2757115)
Last time I checked (Car was just under 1 year old and had just been serviced) my 2020 V90 was showing as £475 for the second service.

The 'service plan' I was offered saved me £2 over three years so naturally I told them where to put that.

Just logged onto the Digital Service this morning and its now showing £275 for the 2 year, 36k service on my D4. Confused, buy very happy if thats the case.

Just checked again and now its showing £470 .....

Wabby Jul 28th, 2021 08:09

Rang them and as it has less than 36k on, the fuel filter and air filter are not required according to them so the service is £325 ....

eternal optimist Jul 28th, 2021 09:09

Why would you avoid changing the filters just to save a few pounds?

Wabby Jul 31st, 2021 07:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by eternal optimist (Post 2757442)
Why would you avoid changing the filters just to save a few pounds?

I wouldn't. The main dealer told me as it has less than 36k that neither of those filters require changing, which revised the price for the 'standard' servicing.

Given that they want £150 to change a fuel and air filter leads to me believe that they are infact worse than Dick Turpin .... as at least he wore a mask!!

VOLVOL0VER Aug 1st, 2021 01:57

people buy Volvos and then don't want to spend the money. i understand that we all want to save the most we can, but volvos are expensive cars with expensive maintenance. we have to inform ourselves before buying a car in order to know if maintenance of that brand in particular is expensive or not.

Nippy Aug 1st, 2021 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER (Post 2758548)
people buy Volvos and then don't want to spend the money. i understand that we all want to save the most we can, but volvos are expensive cars with expensive maintenance. we have to inform ourselves before buying a car in order to know if maintenance of that brand in particular is expensive or not.

I am fully aware that Volvo's are expensive to maintain, we have had the V40 for the last four years. I also checked the servicing prices on Volvo's website before I purchased the car. That said, to be offered a servicing deal that was then withdrawn is very annoying indeed.

Familyman 90 Aug 1st, 2021 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER (Post 2758548)

Exactly this! People buy big, expensive, complex cars, and then try to run them on a shoe string. Look at the number of threads on here from folk who've tried to be clever and used an independent for diagnosis and repair, and then had to give in and take it to a dealer anyway, thus doubling what they would have spent if they'd done that in the first place.

All of mine have been to the dealer since day one, and all still do. It's not cheap, but it's not eye-watering either (we had an X5 and a Lexus RX beforehand, and they were expensive dealers).

Best of all it means no messing, genuine parts with lifetime warranty, and there's never any quibble if something isn't quite right, which is rare.

As a result the entire fleet has been supreme. Nothing has failed on any of them, not so much as a bulb, which means in the long run the maintenance regime has been very good value, which is a very different thing to simply being cheap.

You can either afford to run such a car, or you can't.

Still and all, I do have empathy with the OP. Moral of the story - if you're offered something worth having, don't procrastinate, have it then and there before the situation changes.

Nippy Aug 1st, 2021 23:17

I don’t think it would have gone through the system anyway. It only came to light when they tried to set it up.

Nippy Aug 5th, 2021 06:25

As an aside, just booked Mrs H’s V40 into Marshall, they now charge £30+ for a loan car.