Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   C70: OMG what else. 2001 C70 coverable crank no start"HELP" (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338587)

Stjamesi1981 Mar 5th, 2024 19:40

OMG what else. 2001 C70 coverable crank no start"HELP"

**Troubleshooting a 2001 Volvo C70 Convertible

I recently inherited a 2001 Volvo C70 convertible with 80,000 miles, but unfortunately, it refuses to start. I'm reaching out to the community for help in diagnosing and resolving this issue.

## **Symptoms**
1. **No Dash Lights**: There are no lights on the dashboard—neither in the front nor the back.
2. **Brake Lights**: The brake lights work, but that's about it.
3. **Top Malfunction**: The convertible top doesn't respond.
4. **Fuel Pressure**: I've confirmed gas up front, and there seems to be pressure on the fuel rail.
5. **Fuel Pump**: However, I can't hear the fuel pump.

## **Diagnostic Steps Taken**
1. **Scanner Check**: I scanned the car using an efficient scanner, but it didn't yield any codes except for two related to modules:
- One indicated a lack of signal to the immobilizer (code 327).
- The other was related to tire pressure.
2. **Convertible Top Incident**: Apparently, someone tried to lower the top before I acquired the car, resulting in a spark. Since then, the car hasn't sta
## **Seeking Help**Bad
I'm open to any pointers, suggestions, or prayers from fellow enthusiasts. If you've encountered similar issues or have expertise in Volvo diagnostics, please share your insights. Let's get this sharp Volvo C70 back on the road for the love.

---

Feel free to share this blog entry with others who might be able to assist. Thanks for your support! 🚗💨

Moose Test Mar 5th, 2024 20:13

The first and most obvious things to do would seem to be:
a) check the battery condition
b) check the condition of all the fuses - get a copy of the C70 wiring diagram, so you know how many fuse boxes there are and their locations.

It may be a spurious historical code but if not, any issue with the immobilizer is a potential source of a failure to start the engine, wouldn't you think? Once you know the fuses and supply are correct, scan with a tool that can reset and clear any currently stored codes and then scan again after trying to start.

john.wigley Mar 5th, 2024 20:18

Hi 'Stjamesi1981', and welcome to the forum - there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on here that you can tap into.

My first thoughts are that you may have a flat battery, especially if the car had been standing unused for an extended period prior to your inheriting it. My condolences if it was a recent loss.

If you are unsure of the battery's condition, I would substitute a new or known good one and go from there. The 70 series cars are very intolerant of a less than fully charged battery.

Regards, John.

Edit: Typed before I had seen 'Moose Test's reply, above. J.

ITSv40 Mar 6th, 2024 07:57

Investigate the immobiliser first - these are known to be an issue.

Unless the US spec is different to the UK, I don't understand how you are getting a tyre pressure code as these cars don't have tyre pressure monitoring.

Tannaton Mar 6th, 2024 08:06

You need to deal with the issues one by one, but be minded they are likely related. I would leave the convertible top to last.

Start with the power and the dashboard lights, until you get the car powered up correctly and starting, little else matters...

As said already, check the battery, if that okay then check the earthing points in the engine bay (near the battery) and the positive connections, including to the alternator and starter.

The fuel pumps are very quiet on these, so I wouldn't be concerned you can't here it.

As our learned friend above said, the immobiliser can be an issue on these cars but that would result in cranking but non start - it wouldn't be the cause of no dashboard lights.