Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Euro 4 D5 Block mod (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319559)

totalguy Aug 31st, 2021 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by camturbo (Post 2766792)
265mm brakes ain't going to stop you with that alleged power. With an attitude like yours why even bother to ask the forum in the first place. You obviously know everything about the d5's apparently. Carry on your own then, achieve your pie in the sky goal. In fact I'm not sure why I'm even replying

:thinking: :butt:

cheshired5 Aug 31st, 2021 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by totalguy (Post 2766777)
265mm diameter brakes

So you're fitting smaller diameter brakes?
The less is more approach.

You really are a unique thinker..... I like that.

camturbo Aug 31st, 2021 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2766812)

The op obviously knows what he is talking about and the Info that he has gathered allegedly. Maybe fitting smaller brakes will give you more power lol. What ever next. Think I will keep my little 185bhp on 305mm brakes.

totalguy Aug 31st, 2021 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2766812)

i meant 365

:thinking::butt:

totalguy Aug 31st, 2021 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by camturbo (Post 2766842)
The op obviously knows what he is talking about and the Info that he has gathered allegedly. Maybe fitting smaller brakes will give you more power lol. What ever next. Think I will keep my little 185bhp on 305mm brakes.

:thinking: :butt:

cheshired5 Aug 31st, 2021 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by totalguy (Post 2766894)
i meant 365

Oh right..... From what car?
Can you post a link to an example of the calipers and discs you're using please?

Also which wheels will you be using?

totalguy Sep 1st, 2021 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2766902)
Oh right..... From what car?
Can you post a link to an example of the calipers and discs you're using please?

Also which wheels will you be using?

they are range rover calipers that will require modifications to make them fit right. wheels not sure depends on what ones will go over the calipers i suspect 18s minimum

cheshired5 Sep 1st, 2021 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by totalguy (Post 2767193)
they are range rover calipers that will require modifications to make them fit right. wheels not sure depends on what ones will go over the calipers i suspect 18s minimum

I suspect 19s minimum if you're clearing 365mm discs.
As you're not sure, would it not be better to know if it's even possible before buying and modifying Range Rover calipers and associated hardware?
Is there an example of anyone doing exactly what you are proposing?

totalguy Sep 2nd, 2021 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2767227)
I suspect 19s minimum if you're clearing 365mm discs.
As you're not sure, would it not be better to know if it's even possible before buying and modifying Range Rover calipers and associated hardware?
Is there an example of anyone doing exactly what you are proposing?

i got access to wheels to try no point buying a set only to find out they wont fit when i got access to some for testing clearance :regular_smile:

100K+ Sep 2nd, 2021 14:24

...what about....????

Just come to this somewhat fractious thread but a suggestion for the OP to his original question ...
P2 V70 R and Ford Focus (2.5 litre) has history of cracking cylinder liners if you flog engine or over stress it.
The standard so called fix is to shim the block, even using mundane metal as feeler gauges...I don't know if the D5 block is similar to the 2.5 petrol but shimming is shimming so to speak,and if the engine is in bits already the time/expense may add a degree or so of improved reliability.. Doubt it could hurt... Worth further investigation perhaps???

Cheers Bob