Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   £3.00 charge to enter ULEZ zone for ALL cars (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=321813)

JJD1 Nov 30th, 2021 21:33

£3.00 charge to enter ULEZ zone for ALL cars

Its floating around on the net that Sadiq Khan is bringing in this charge and that will be on top of ANY UlEZ and Congestion if applicable . Does not matter what car . Its to help Transport for london who are bust !

kiloran Dec 1st, 2021 09:41

Awesome, bring it on. Driving privilege needs to end, it's way too cheap and easy to drive in this country.

Wagon Sailor Dec 1st, 2021 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloran (Post 2789525)
Awesome, bring it on. Driving privilege needs to end, it's way too cheap and easy to drive in this country.

So you'd make freedom of movement available only to the rich?

Moomoo Dec 1st, 2021 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloran (Post 2789525)

Really! For whom?

kiloran Dec 1st, 2021 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor (Post 2789526)
So you'd make freedom of movement available only to the rich?

Movement isn't free. It's really only the last 100 years where people have been freely moving around the country, and the last 50 where the majority have been doing that in private transport. Society sees it as a purely positive thing - live where you want, work where you want, go where you want, see who you want, and do all that when you want. The externalities are huge - car production and storage, fuel production, transport, and storage. As is the opportunity cost - if you didn't run a car could you work less, or spend the money on something else that's more beneficial to you? It's a not insignificant amount - powered private transport is a regressive tax on the poor but seen as essential as a phone contract or entertainment subscriptions. If you're on £10 an hour you're spending on average around 20 hours pay per month (pre-tax) on running a car.

Moomoo Dec 1st, 2021 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloran (Post 2789560)
Movement isn't free. It's really only the last 100 years where people have been freely moving around the country, and the last 50 where the majority have been doing that in private transport. Society sees it as a purely positive thing - live where you want, work where you want, go where you want, see who you want, and do all that when you want. The externalities are huge - car production and storage, fuel production, transport, and storage. As is the opportunity cost - if you didn't run a car could you work less, or spend the money on something else that's more beneficial to you? It's a not insignificant amount - powered private transport is a regressive tax on the poor but seen as essential as a phone contract or entertainment subscriptions. If you're on £10 an hour you're spending on average around 20 hours pay per month (pre-tax) on running a car.

I don't think anyone suggested movement was free! Freedom of movement is something very different.

kiloran Dec 1st, 2021 11:49

Indeed. But there was an assumption in Wagon Sailor's reply that road pricing restricts freedom to the rich, which is what I was responding to.
We've structured society to build reliance on private transport by making public transport so utterly bobbins and expensive/difficult to access. If the proposed charge is indeed going to TfL to improve public transport it seems fair to me.

Moomoo Dec 1st, 2021 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloran (Post 2789565)
Indeed. But there was an assumption in Wagon Sailor's reply that road pricing restricts freedom to the rich, which is what I was responding to.
We've structured society to build reliance on private transport by making public transport so utterly bobbins and expensive/difficult to access. If the proposed charge is indeed going to TfL to improve public transport it seems fair to me.

The problem is , not everyone has the alternative of , on demand public transport.
There isn't a bus stop and tube station easily accessed for a great deal of us!
My car is taxed enough , thank you!

pinballdave Dec 1st, 2021 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moomoo (Post 2789569)
The problem is , not everyone has the alternative of , on demand public transport.
There isn't a bus stop and tube station easily accessed for a great deal of us!
My car is taxed enough , thank you!

I agree that road pricing such as this is not fair if there is no alternative public transport.

But is it not fair that if you're driving into an area that has pretty much the best public transport in the country, you make a small donation for that privilege?

Moomoo Dec 1st, 2021 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinballdave (Post 2789580)
I agree that road pricing such as this is not fair if there is no alternative public transport.

But is it not fair that if you're driving into an area that has pretty much the best public transport in the country, you make a small donation for that privilege?

Yes, I’ll take that!👍