Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   D4 VEA EGR Problems (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=237346)

scottnye2015 Nov 26th, 2015 11:36

is this also occurring on D3 VEA engines?

Ninja59 Dec 5th, 2015 18:48

It is any VEA engine as the overall unit is highly similar only real change is the tuning.

Rooster Dec 5th, 2015 22:19

Seen a couple of VEA's that have done over 40k with there original valves still fitted,

My parents have a VEA xc60, 15 months old and 8500 miles and no EGR problems as yet but he isn't a MPG chaser and told him to make sure he stretchs its legs occasionally and at moment it seems to be doing the trick,

Its short journeys and MPG chasers that seem to be having the most problems

Marc01 Dec 6th, 2015 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 2022036)
Seen a couple of VEA's that have done over 40k with there original valves still fitted,

Its short journeys and MPG chasers that seem to be having the most problems

Where do you base this information on? Please follow thread, I see no evidence of driving style being the cause of this issue.

And are you really removing engine covers to inspect originality of egr parts, the valves are also not the problem these are actually pretty reliable.

Rooster Dec 6th, 2015 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc01 (Post 2022159)
Where do you base this information on? Please follow thread, I see no evidence of driving style being the cause of this issue.

And are you really removing engine covers to inspect originality of egr parts, the valves are also not the problem these are actually pretty reliable.

Just my personal opinion of the 50 or so valves and coolers I have replaced over the last year or so and the mileages and mpg figures on these cars,

You are right it isn't the valves that are the issue really its the coolers clogging, the coolers have actually just be modified again so hopefully this time will be the cure to the whole egr saga,

Clan Dec 6th, 2015 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 2022201)
Just my personal opinion of the 50 or so valves and coolers I have replaced over the last year or so and the mileages and mpg figures on these cars,

You are right it isn't the valves that are the issue really its the coolers clogging, the coolers have actually just be modified again so hopefully this time will be the cure to the whole egr saga,

what have they actually done to the cooler apart from alter a couple of threaded holes ?

Marc01 Dec 6th, 2015 12:39

Rooster I hope you did not read any hostility in my reply, I am just frustrated.

I did a bit of research before buying my V40 D4 it was one of a few cars on short list, a bit of research online seemed to imply on a whole Volvo V40 were reliable obviously the new D4 was early days but there were already reports from S/V/XC60 owners where the D4 first found service of egr issues, these seemed to come at 6k miles on average. I put this down to just a small sample of unhappy owners and it would not happen to me.

I drive on average 18-20k a year, long journeys albeit mostly A roads. I do not drive for economy otherwise I would of bought a D2, I choose the D4 for its 190hp and claimed 0-60 of 7 seconds, I went through my first set of front tyres at 10.5k then at 11k I hit the wall, as in limp mode and engine light.

After a botched first repair, the second repair seemed to go alright, it has now taken a further 4 months and only 5.5k before that egr failed also.

I only use premium fuel and I like to stretch the legs of my 2.0l 190hp engine be damned with mpg, I've said it many times here before who buys a brand new car for good economy anyway the depreciation hit as soon as I drove of the forecourt could of bought me several second hand motors.

My average mpg is 45mpg by the way.

Rooster Dec 6th, 2015 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2022295)
what have they actually done to the cooler apart from alter a couple of threaded holes ?

I don't know yet ill tell when they come off back order and start to arrive middle of jan

Marc01 Dec 6th, 2015 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2022295)

Apparently they have altered the routing entirely of gas flow through the cooler, along with revisions to software to fine tune egr function.

Although again all the little things I remember that wind me up, the technician who attended my vehicle couldn't tell my car had already had a new egr valve and cooler. When I spoke to the dealer who fitted my egr and cooler they didn't even know which one I had or what software I was running?

How can you run diagnosis like this and get to be route of the problem?

Rooster Dec 8th, 2015 19:37

The coolers physically look the same and apart from a green dot on later ones there is no way really to tell them apart,

The software versions we are not made aware of, vida15 now tells us if the car is upto date or not,