Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Swirl valves replaced now car wont start (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=336942)

andythepandy Dec 13th, 2023 12:46

Swirl valves replaced now car wont start

Hi all as the title suggests I have recently replaced the swirl valves and now the car wont start.

I had all the injectors out cleaned them and reinstalled them, fuel filter has been replaced too

The engine will crank but not fire up. I have checked the low pressure fuel hose to the fuel pressure pump and that primes just fine. I have tried undoing the fuel unions going into the injectors to bleed any air out whilst cranking the engine a few times to no avail. There seems to be fuel going into the injectors but it just won't fire up.

Does an one have any ideas what I can check to try to get the car going.

It was working fine before and since everything has been apart it doesn't want to start

Simmy Dec 13th, 2023 16:25

as you have done multiple thing to your car its hard to catch a guess at the fault a small thing for future reference is to do one thing at a time then when a problem appears you can work back with what could have gone wrong i know its easy to be wise after the event . but a code read may indicate where the problem lies double check all electrical plugs are connected it easy to miss one if the car has been apart for a long time

Tannaton Dec 14th, 2023 07:34

Non starting diesel is usually very simple to diagnose…. It’s either low fuel pressure in the common rail or no injector pulse.

You need an appropriate code reader - check the fuel rail pressure on cranking, and camshaft/crankshaft position sensor signals.

Assuming the fuel system has been bled okay (both for the filter change and high pressure side strip down) I bet it’s an electrical connector left off or not seated.

How did you bleed the system following filter change etc?

ian ferguson Dec 18th, 2023 11:46

When i did mine. it wouldn't start. after checking fuel etc, I cranked the engine constantly for about 30 to 45 seconds and it started. worth a try if you haven't already tried this. Ian

Tannaton Dec 18th, 2023 11:51

^^^^^ Prior to that I would switch the ignition on for 5 seconds, then off, repeat 10 times. This should fill the filter & bowl.

When you turn the ignition on, the electric fuel pump in the tank runs for a few seconds to make sure the system is primed.

You could also try a bit of Easy Start into the air filter housing.

Clan Dec 18th, 2023 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by andythepandy (Post 2926974)
Hi all as the title suggests I have recently replaced the swirl valves and now the car wont start.

I had all the injectors out cleaned them and reinstalled them, fuel filter has been replaced too

The engine will crank but not fire up. I have checked the low pressure fuel hose to the fuel pressure pump and that primes just fine. I have tried undoing the fuel unions going into the injectors to bleed any air out whilst cranking the engine a few times to no avail. There seems to be fuel going into the injectors but it just won't fire up.

Does an one have any ideas what I can check to try to get the car going.

It was working fine before and since everything has been apart it doesn't want to start

Have you checked the leak back flows from the injector return pipes? Disturbing the injectors may have put the death on one weak injector leaking all the diesel back to the tank not building up pressure.

andythepandy Dec 26th, 2023 11:58

Cheers all thank you for the advice. I was having trouble with my diagnostics kit not communicating with VIDA so thought I would investigate a few other bits and found that I was getting leak back from injectors 1 & 2!
Hallelujah!
Got the car started now but getting a 'SOOT FILTER FULL' message since the works done. I'm guessing this will either mean the DPF needs replacing or a regen needs doing?
I had originally done this work as I have an 'ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED' message. Would this message be caused by the DPF being full seeing as this message came before the Soot filter full message or not?

S60D5-185 Dec 27th, 2023 08:57

What car do you have?

Tannaton Dec 27th, 2023 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by andythepandy (Post 2928650)
Cheers all thank you for the advice. I was having trouble with my diagnostics kit not communicating with VIDA so thought I would investigate a few other bits and found that I was getting leak back from injectors 1 & 2!
Hallelujah!
Got the car started now but getting a 'SOOT FILTER FULL' message since the works done. I'm guessing this will either mean the DPF needs replacing or a regen needs doing?
I had originally done this work as I have an 'ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED' message. Would this message be caused by the DPF being full seeing as this message came before the Soot filter full message or not?

Personally I would remove the dpf and clean it, usually on a d5 to get that message there is something else wrong which is causing over fuelling - maybe a boost leak.

andythepandy Dec 27th, 2023 09:55

Car is a 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 185

Ok I'll stick that on the to do list

It would make sense that I now have this as the original issue I was trying to fix was a boost issue, or I assumed it was as I was getting an overboost and underboost error code along with a MAF code. This displayed as an ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE message on the dash
I have checked all the inlet pipework and there are no leaks I can see. I have replaced the resonator pipe and pressure tested the intercooler which seems to hold pressure. I queried it being the VNT and took it for a quick blast to see if I could free it off. During the drive I completely lost boost and it has not come back at all.
I'm a bit stumped now. Where would you look next?