Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Porting Single Carb Manifold (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318679)

Burdekin Jul 26th, 2021 09:50

Porting Single Carb Manifold

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone done any good flow mods on the single carb cast iron manifold?

Clan Jul 26th, 2021 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burdekin (Post 2756782)
Anyone done any good flow mods on the single carb cast iron manifold?

I don't think you would get any benefit as the manifold has very generously sized branches anyway ...

Burdekin Jul 26th, 2021 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2756809)
I don't think you would get any benefit as the manifold has very generously sized branches anyway ...

Thanks. Goals have mainly been trying to increase low to mid torque so assume that's more input velocity so improving any corners, casting defects etc but not really sure if there is much or anything to gain.

Army Jul 26th, 2021 12:05

In the wheezy world of series 2 Land Rovers small improvements like that were often done before the fad of replacing with more modern engines became the norm...

...in a situation where you enjoy playing I say "why not"?

[You'd probably see better benfits in economy from buying energy saving tyres however - I'm guess you're not being a speed demon when asking such questions]

Burdekin Jul 26th, 2021 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Army (Post 2756850)
In the wheezy world of series 2 Land Rovers small improvements like that were often done before the fad of replacing with more modern engines became the norm...

...in a situation where you enjoy playing I say "why not"?

[You'd probably see better benfits in economy from buying energy saving tyres however - I'm guess you're not being a speed demon when asking such questions]

Yeah don't think there would be much max HP gain to be had with the Stromberg but interested in seeing what improvements are there, mainly low to mid range torque. That's the area that the single carb matches up well or maybe even beats the twin SU setup in stock form; B20B. Plenty of mods have been done with SUs but seen nothing for Strombergs that I've seen. I have a spare manifold so will pull it out for a look.

I normally just cruise around but do enjoy giving it a bit of a squirt every now and then. Surprised a few cars when out testing the last couple of weekends. 😁

Army Jul 26th, 2021 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burdekin (Post 2756870)
Yeah don't think there would be much max HP gain to be had with the Stromberg but interested in seeing what improvements are there, mainly low to mid range torque. That's the area that the single carb matches up well or maybe even beats the twin SU setup in stock form; B20B. Plenty of mods have been done with SUs but seen nothing for Strombergs that I've seen. I have a spare manifold so will pull it out for a look.

I normally just cruise around but do enjoy giving it a bit of a squirt every now and then. Surprised a few cars when out testing the last couple of weekends. 😁

Power to weight can indeed surprise some.

If you do have a play I for one will be interested to hear how you get on.

The B20 in my PV has a Weber carb and a matching manifold that was apparently a good period upgrade. I've just got a larger bore exhaust to match. I've got a feeling this will just change the sound though - it is meant to copy the Abarth design - we'll see,,,

Burdekin Jul 26th, 2021 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Army (Post 2756878)
Power to weight can indeed surprise some.

If you do have a play I for one will be interested to hear how you get on.

The B20 in my PV has a Weber carb and a matching manifold that was apparently a good period upgrade. I've just got a larger bore exhaust to match. I've got a feeling this will just change the sound though - it is meant to copy the Abarth design - we'll see,,,

Will do.

I have the two inch exhaust fitted, think it made a little difference.

blueosprey90 Jul 26th, 2021 14:01

This article is not for Volvo, and it is not for an intake, but it might give you some ideas.

http://www.diyporting.com/thread.html

Clan Jul 26th, 2021 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burdekin (Post 2756826)
Thanks. Goals have mainly been trying to increase low to mid torque so assume that's more input velocity so improving any corners, casting defects etc but not really sure if there is much or anything to gain.

But if you increase the inlet port sizes you SLOW the air flow , small is better for torque ... a little turbocharger would achieve what you are looking for :-)

Burdekin Jul 26th, 2021 15:25

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2756917)
But if you increase the inlet port sizes you SLOW the air flow , small is better for torque ... a little turbocharger would achieve what you are looking for :-)

Not necessarily; if the casting has sharp turns, sharp edges, casting defects and things like that I would imagine they slow the flow of air so removing those would increase the velocity or maybe better put there will be fewer obstacles to slow it down. Of course volume is removed in these localised areas but at this stage I'm not thinking of increasing the port sizes unless they are undersized at the moment.

The same design of stub stack I added to the carb intake was flow tested by David Vizard and it increased flow by 5.8%. It did this by having a large radius and eliminating the sharp edge. So that's the sort of thing maybe could be done inside the intake, giving the air an easier path.

I'm looking at a supercharger for another project but this one is staying original, or looking original.