Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Parking Sensor Removal? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=323255)

rsymes2k Feb 2nd, 2022 11:42

Parking Sensor Removal?

2004 XC90 D5 - is there a way of removing the parking sensor without removing the bumper?

I know which one is broken, can I pull it out without breaking the tabs etc?

TIA
Rob

Clan Feb 2nd, 2022 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsymes2k (Post 2804729)
2004 XC90 D5 - is there a way of removing the parking sensor without removing the bumper?

I know which one is broken, can I pull it out without breaking the tabs etc?

TIA
Rob

yes you can pull it out if you can get your hand on the back .. get someone to press the centre of it as well whilst you wangle it around and pull .

Tannaton Feb 2nd, 2022 21:28

You can lever them out carefully, you will roughen the edges but they're hinnen by the bezel on the sensor. Or you can drill them and screw a self tapper in and yank it out. I've changed a fair few but never removed the bumper.

gmonag Feb 3rd, 2022 00:00

It is not that difficult to remove the bumper. The trickiest part is pulling and re-attaching the plastic panels.
Probably easier than struggling to get round the back.

rsymes2k Feb 3rd, 2022 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2804881)
You can lever them out carefully, you will roughen the edges but they're hinnen by the bezel on the sensor. Or you can drill them and screw a self tapper in and yank it out. I've changed a fair few but never removed the bumper.

Oh perfect, I'll give it a go, thanks

rsymes2k Feb 3rd, 2022 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2804777)
yes you can pull it out if you can get your hand on the back .. get someone to press the centre of it as well whilst you wangle it around and pull .

Drilled a self tapper in, pulled it out, popped new one in! No damage, took 10 mins max!!! Every video I've seen is a full bumper removal! RESULT!!

Parknest Mar 29th, 2022 14:44

I never thought of that. I did have to remove the rear bumper (not completely) to move the suspected faulty sensor to another position as part of the diagnosis. You probably saw my YouTube video (my forum moniker is also the name of my channel).

cbv8 Mar 31st, 2022 23:54

Quote:

Wish i had known this before as when i removed the complete bumper a couple of the side panel tabs broke off now they don't sit quite flush :sad_smile:

BestGear May 24th, 2022 20:25

Quote:

You can lever them out carefully, you will roughen the edges but they're hidden by the bezel on the sensor. Or you can drill them and screw a self tapper in and yank it out. I've changed a fair few but never removed the bumper.

Hi... this seems a great way...so, just to confirm, you can insert a self tapper from the "outside" - ie from the rear of the car and NOT from behind the bumper and pull them out??!?!

Having changed 3 now, separately, the thought of having to remove the bumper is not attractive to a lazy old git like me!

Lastly - sensor 1 is (UK) nearside, yes? Looking to the rear of the car..?

Thanks guys

Tannaton May 26th, 2022 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestGear (Post 2825842)
Hi... this seems a great way...so, just to confirm, you can insert a self tapper from the "outside" - ie from the rear of the car and NOT from behind the bumper and pull them out??!?!

Having changed 3 now, separately, the thought of having to remove the bumper is not attractive to a lazy old git like me!

Lastly - sensor 1 is (UK) nearside, yes? Looking to the rear of the car..?

Thanks guys

Yes - drill a hole in the centre of the sensor using a HSS drill bit from the rear of the car - match it to the size of self tapper you are using. It's better to use a small screw but screw it 10-15mm into the sensor rather than a large screw which might split the sensor body. This is not the prescribed method and hence no guarantee it will work but I've don't it more times than I can remember and it's worked perfectly every time and chap above was pleased with it.

Use something like a claw hammer to pull the screw and sensor out (but just pull, don't lever as you might damage the paint/bumper)

As for the numbering, up North it's like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t76cbFISdeE