Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   So, I bought something that isn't a Volvo! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221764)

Volvo2002 Jan 14th, 2015 20:59

So, I bought something that isn't a Volvo!

Yeah I bought another car. Before I get chased by pitchforks lol, it's due to the price of said car coming up at what I consider a good bit of timing, or so I thought!

So the car in question is a 1999 Nissan Almera 1.4 with 86hp! The car cost me £350! It comes with a years MOT, has only done 47,450 miles!

Recently when starting my car I heard the unquestionable sound of a Dual Mass Flywheel rattling! Honestly my heart sunk! Sort of put me in a downer when I realised the cost of a new flywheel! The costs to replace my clutch and the labour on top! So the Nissan seemed like a good bet! Cheaper than the repair, reliable motoring for my commute to work, what could go wrong?

Well the Nissan handles well! It is reasonably good on fuel, though much to my surprise isn't much better than my Volvo! It also has an overly sharp throttle response and the seats are pretty poor tbh!

Getting to the point, the Volvo is a FAR better car to drive! I guess as you lot will agree, you are spoiled by Volvos! Not much else really feels good enough afterwards to sit in and drive! I guess I learnt me lesson! Might be biting the bullet and forking out the costs to keep goldie at her best! The noise is intermittent.

First post in here in ages as well! ha. Hope everyone else is enjoying their cars. Goldie is now on 103,500 miles as well :)

kieran40 Jan 14th, 2015 21:38

Right Thomas off with youre head lol, no in all hounesty nissan's are good, hope you enjoy youre new car mate :)

DXMachina Jan 14th, 2015 21:44

One of my housemates has an Almera 1.5,which I periodically drive, usually after servicing it to check everything works

Not bad little things. I particularly like the fact it has 4 ignition coils, like a proper performance motor..

Volvo2002 Jan 14th, 2015 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by DXMachina (Post 1827075)
One of my housemates has an Almera 1.5,which I periodically drive, usually after servicing it to check everything works

Not bad little things. I particularly like the fact it has 4 ignition coils, like a proper performance motor..

That's the newer version of mine! Does it have a CD player? mine doesn't lol

It's 96.7 West FM for work lol

gatos Jan 14th, 2015 22:03

Traitor....:). lol

Volvo2002 Jan 14th, 2015 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatos (Post 1827091)
Traitor....:). lol

Still have the Volvo, shall never leave you lot lol! I'm cursed to keep mine until I die :P

Matt86 Jan 14th, 2015 22:27

I still have the tino version of the Almera. 2001 lovely cars. Prefer timing chains over the belts any day lol

kieran40 Jan 14th, 2015 22:35

Timing belts are much better lot less hassle you need too frequently change youre oil too stop the chains getting full of crud.

Dancake Jan 14th, 2015 22:35

Nissan make good cars. Part of my learning to drive was in a Nissan Almera Tino. I called it the big green bubble :) Even done my test in a Micra lol. At £350 with that mileage you've done well.

stephend Jan 14th, 2015 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo2002 (Post 1827111)
Still have the Volvo, shall never leave you lot lol! I'm cursed to keep mine until I die :P

Make sure you take her out for a spin from time to time, keep everything freed up and working properly! :thumbs_up: