Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   Spotted: S60 T5 AutoTrader (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316523)

Cwgt93 May 3rd, 2021 13:40

Spotted: S60 T5 AutoTrader

Noticed this car for sale on AutoTrader, I nearly bought it a few months ago from the previous owner for £3700.

Thought against it at the time because of the auto box, kinda regret it now!

What do we think of it?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-deta...?atmobcid=soc3

T5R92011 May 3rd, 2021 16:02

To be 100% honest I think the autoboxes suit these Volvos very nicely regardless of engine. With an autobox it makes life in these cars even more comfortable than it already was.

Prior to the start of this year, I have only ever owned manual volvos and was very dismissive of the autos, but having acquired a V70 2.4 auto at the start of the year as a companion for my manual D5, driving the auto feels like a special treat. I have never been so relaxed behind the wheel of any vehicle (including other autos).

To save money, I always try to drive the D5 wherever possible. But sometimes (especially now with traffic) I just can't be bothered to sit in traffic in a manual, and the autobox instantly removes the stress, turning an irritating journey, into a comfortable, hassle free journey.

I'm definitely one of those people would buy the torque limited 5 speed auto S60/V70R and just drive it as a luxury barge.

Cwgt93 May 3rd, 2021 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by T5R92011 (Post 2733816)
To be 100% honest I think the autoboxes suit these Volvos very nicely regardless of engine. With an autobox it makes life in these cars even more comfortable than it already was.

Prior to the start of this year, I have only ever owned manual volvos and was very dismissive of the autos, but having acquired a V70 2.4 auto at the start of the year as a companion for my manual D5, driving the auto feels like a special treat. I have never been so relaxed behind the wheel of any vehicle (including other autos).

To save money, I always try to drive the D5 wherever possible. But sometimes (especially now with traffic) I just can't be bothered to sit in traffic in a manual, and the autobox instantly removes the stress, turning an irritating journey, into a comfortable, hassle free journey.

I'm definitely one of those people would buy the torque limited 5 speed auto S60/V70R and just drive it as a luxury barge.

I don't dislike the auto as a rule, had a D5 last year which was auto, and like you say a pleasure to drive. I'm just more concerned on reliability and longevity. I'd like to keep my next T5 for a while and heard horror stories in regards to the box.

Bonefishblues May 3rd, 2021 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cwgt93 (Post 2733823)
I don't dislike the auto as a rule, had a D5 last year which was auto, and like you say a pleasure to drive. I'm just more concerned on reliability and longevity. I'd like to keep my next T5 for a while and heard horror stories in regards to the box.

... because Forums (horror stories, that is). Yet a clutch & dmf change costs the thick end of a grand on a manual, which is autobox rebuild-type money.

Cwgt93 May 3rd, 2021 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonefishblues (Post 2733855)
... because Forums (horror stories, that is). Yet a clutch & dmf change costs the thick end of a grand on a manual, which is autobox rebuild-type money.

Ah okay, that's manageable. The way people talk I was thinking thousands and thousands to fix a knackered auto. Different scenarios and associated costs though I guess.

Bonefishblues May 3rd, 2021 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cwgt93 (Post 2733865)
Ah okay, that's manageable. The way people talk I was thinking thousands and thousands to fix a knackered auto. Different scenarios and associated costs though I guess.

They're easy to check pre purchase, and predictable to service/keep in good fettle is my point - and even in extremis are either fixable or replaceable. I do think that the autobox issues are sometimes rather overblown.

Cwgt93 May 3rd, 2021 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonefishblues (Post 2733893)
They're easy to check pre purchase, and predictable to service/keep in good fettle is my point - and even in extremis are either fixable or replaceable. I do think that the autobox issues are sometimes rather overblown.

Gotcha. What are the signs to look out for? Just the obvious harsh gear changes?

Bonefishblues May 3rd, 2021 20:12

Long test drive. Properly long, so 20 mins+ to get the 'box up to temperature and then close attention to the shifts, yes.

Cwgt93 May 3rd, 2021 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonefishblues (Post 2733905)
Long test drive. Properly long, so 20 mins+ to get the 'box up to temperature and then close attention to the shifts, yes.

Nice one, cheers.

XC90Mk1 May 3rd, 2021 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cwgt93 (Post 2733782)
Noticed this car for sale on AutoTrader, I nearly bought it a few months ago from the previous owner for £3700.

Thought against it at the time because of the auto box, kinda regret it now!

What do we think of it?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-deta...?atmobcid=soc3

You turned that down at £3,700! What were you thinking!