Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   XC90 and upgrading radio (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316287)

d00gs Apr 23rd, 2021 14:03

XC90 and upgrading radio

Hi,
New to the forum.
I've just bought a 2007 XC90 (will get it in about a week) and am already thinking ahead to upgrading the standard radio to one that has apple carplay.
Can anyone point me in the direction of such a unit and potentially youtube video of how easy (or otherwise) it is to swap out the existing unit?

I've tried searching on the forum and on youtube to no avail so far.

Thanks
Doogs.

john langrick Apr 24th, 2021 19:44

Hi, most xc90 have excellent sound systems, I suggest you wait and see before planning to change.

Also, does your new car have sat nav, park sensors, phone and even a sub woofer.

The standard xc90 is not just a radio, but a set of separate modules connected by a most infra red bus. If you disconnect what you think is the radio, you lose the information control module' (icm) which integrates many components. Also remember there are controls for the icm on the steering wheel.

If you want to integrate your music short term, just use an fm/bluetooth transmitter from ebay, less than £20 anc super simple to use.

You will see threads on this topic by members who want an aux port or din ports, you can search on that too.

Hope this helps.

John l

PsYcHe Apr 24th, 2021 19:55

There are kits to put standard stereos in there, I've done it with mine, as have a few others. You need to keep the PCB from the radio connected, and you can use the steering wheel controls. Check out connects2.

drjarmin Apr 25th, 2021 02:16

I installed the Legend XC90 system which is quite simple to do. It is basically a 9" Android touchscreen. It keeps steering wheel control and added advantage as it supports a rear reversing camera.

d00gs Apr 26th, 2021 11:15

Thanks for the replies - gives me some pointers for further research!

Cheers,
Doogs

Bagnall Apr 30th, 2021 06:34

It is possible to solder directly to the AM radio input on the circuit board.

I connected an aux cable directly for yourself or those with xc90s without aux input.

SwissXC90 Apr 30th, 2021 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by john langrick (Post 2731334)
Also, does your new car have sat nav, park sensors, phone and even a sub woofer.

You forgot the PAC Parking Assist Camera, otherwise known as the reverse camera, and the RSE Rear Seat Entertainment system

Mine has radio, phone, navigation, parking sensors, reverse camera, and rear seat entertainment.

All are integrated into the vehicle audio system.

OK, reverse camera has no audio, it just displays on the nav screen.

john langrick Apr 30th, 2021 13:25

Thanks swiss, but my point is to suggest the op tries the car before spending money on integrating proprietary audio devices.

I guess on an 07 car there may be more pressing expenses!

John l

d00gs Apr 30th, 2021 14:59

I pick up the car tomorrow - has just had a new mot and full service.
I will investigate the sound system /connectivity it comes with and re-assess from there. Ideally I want to get the following capability: DAB radio, play music from my iphone and, ultimately have apple carplay (although I accept that would be a new unit).

gumboots Jan 21st, 2022 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjarmin (Post 2731386)
I installed the Legend XC90 system which is quite simple to do. It is basically a 9" Android touchscreen. It keeps steering wheel control and added advantage as it supports a rear reversing camera.

Does it only keep steering wheel control for audio or do the buttons still control the phone?