Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Volvo V90 D4 Valve cover gasket replacement (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=311519)

KarolisG Nov 6th, 2020 18:05

Volvo V90 D4 Valve cover gasket replacement

Hey guys,

So I noticed my car had some horrible burning oil/diesel smell coming from engine bay, I thought it might be egr failing but on closer inspection I noticed it has a leaking valve cover gasket and its spitting oil on exhaust manifold and it smokes, so I decided to give a ring to Volvo dealer to see what price they would ask to fix it.
Volvo being Volvo quote me £788 for it.
My initial reaction was they can suck a bag of *****, I will do it myself.
Im not complete noob and usually fix cars by myself if I have workshop manual handy, but as you probably know Post 2014 Volvo does not offer Workshop manuals to customers and only offer subscription based plan/manuals, as its another way of ripping off customers.
So any advice from you guys would be beneficial.
Thanks
Karl

Whippy Nov 7th, 2020 10:21

Out of curiosity, how old is the car?

KarolisG Nov 7th, 2020 20:31

Hi,
It's 2017 Volvo V90 D4 "d4204t14"

techwatcher Nov 8th, 2020 17:49

IMO a three year old car should not leak oil.

I suggest asking the dealer to ask Volvo for a contribution towards the cost.

Volvo are normally pretty good in these type of situations - it's certainly worth asking.

KarolisG Nov 8th, 2020 21:55

Hi,
I forgot to mention car already has 120k miles on the clock so I'm not sure if Volvo would contribute to anything :D

Clan Nov 8th, 2020 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarolisG (Post 2679860)
Hi,
I forgot to mention car already has 120k miles on the clock so I'm not sure if Volvo would contribute to anything :D

you are writing yourself off before you start .. try them .. its not high crankcase pressure forcing oil out is it?

m2srt Nov 9th, 2020 13:38

My wife's XC60 B4 had the same issue at 10k! Covered under warranty but the dealer (Clive Brook Huddersfield) said that it was the 2nd one they had that week! Revised gasket seems to be holding up ok 7k miles in. As it's a known issue I would contact Volvo and ask to get it repaired under 'good faith'.

KarolisG Nov 9th, 2020 17:48

Thank you guys,

I had a chat to Volvo and they advised me to take car to Volvo garage for inspection and I quote "If the issue is a manufacturer’s fault for example, or should not have happened, especially this early on, they will discuss this further with the goodwill team"
So I will call them tomorrow and see what they say. But I'm very sceptical about it, as I said car have doubled warranty miles and currently just over 120k so I'm not putting my hopes up. Lets see what Volvo have to say.
Cheers

DriverDen Mar 30th, 2021 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarolisG (Post 2680092)
Lets see what Volvo have to say.

What did Volvo say?

KarolisG Apr 5th, 2021 23:13

So I phoned other dealer here in Kent and was actually surprised how prices are different from each other, in Canterbury they quoted me £788 and Maidstone £600 so obviously I end up going to Maidstone. Long story short I did asked good will team to contribute towards repair cost and surprise surprise they did 😲 so total I paid £300