Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   240 General: Refurbishing alloys (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=34898)

146ken Mar 31st, 2007 12:31

Refurbishing alloys

Hi
the alloys on my 240GLT are in need of attention. One in particular is slowly losing pressure. I know nothing about alloys and so would like advice between replacing and refurbishment.
Is refurbishment a stop gap or long term fix? What should I expect to pay?
The current ones are the standard GLT 5 spoke, fitted with 185/65/15 s.
cheers

Jaytee-ex480 Mar 31st, 2007 12:43

is it really the alloy that leaks I had what I thought was a similar problem
well at 1st I thought it was a slow puncture but after having the tyre changed and finding the tyre still losing pressure I found that the old filler valve was faulty and that the tyre place had charged for but not changed the valve.
thieving gits !!!!

jacksonb123 Mar 31st, 2007 16:50

Provided your wheel is not damaged then having it professionally refurbished is a long term solution.

I've refinished a set of Virgo/GLT alloys myself with paint stripper/simoniz primer/silver/laquer & it is a tough job due to the nooks & crannies of this type of wheel, it is however cheap if you have the time to do it.

However, provided you have the cash I'd recommend taking them somewhere to have it done professionally. Seems to be about 30-50 quid a wheel & I'd expect it to be more hard wearing than respraying it yourself.
Ben

Mike_Brace Mar 31st, 2007 22:01

If the tyre is loosing pressure it is often through a build up of corrosion on the sealing lip. This is easily rectified - take to your local tyre dealer they will remove tyre clean the corrosion off and this will often enable it to seal - otherwise some bead selaer round the edge will seal it. You'd be looking at £5-10 per wheel that needs it (normally charegd at same price as punctur repair.

Mike

jetronic63 Apr 1st, 2007 09:16

I have heard that the alloy can become porous over time resulting in the tyre deflating. On one of my other cars (Lancia - yes I know, sorry) it is an often quoted problem.

Ignoring the fact that Lancias are the motoring equivalent of a soluble aspirin, does anyone know if this has any basis in science or is it just bollox. :o)

Steve

146ken Apr 1st, 2007 15:54

I took the car into local tyre shop and they said the alloy had become porous and was causing the airleak, at least on two wheels, and the other two were also poor. I have found a local metal finishers, so off there tomorrow to get a quote.
thanks for advice so far.

Outwardly the wheels look ok, ie there is no obvious damage, though the surface is rough and pitted in a couple of places.

Peter D Apr 2nd, 2007 16:30

Bead Blasted and Powder coat is the answer. Regards Peter

146ken Apr 3rd, 2007 14:09

I've been quoted £110 +Vat to blast clean and powder coat four wheels. Does that seem about the right rate?

Roger Jennings Apr 6th, 2007 10:26

From the quotes I received I would say that is a very good price. I was quoted upwards from £140 for all four.

Roger

jacksonb123 Apr 8th, 2007 11:39

+1 on the price.
If you're happy with the work they do would you let us know the name of the company. I'd have my next set done properly at that price.
Ben