Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Battery replacement (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=339421)

Philip Fisher Apr 15th, 2024 19:14

Battery replacement

Hi there

We have a 2016 V60. Had it from new and has about 56k miles on it. Car does a reasonably large number of short journeys (and probably quite a bit of sitting in the car waiting with the radio on).

For about the last 3 years we have got the low battery warning. Usually me taking it for an Italian tune up on my 95 mile round trip to work would make it go away. I eventually bought a smart charger and a full AGM recon charge would usually make it go away for maybe 2-3 months.

However, lately, the interval between a charge using the smart charger and the warning coming back is becoming shorter and shorter. Now down to about 2 weeks.

So I am going to replace the battery, just a couple of questions:-

- Does the warning relate to the main battery, or the small battery, or both?
- Is it coded to the car or can I just swap it?
- Any hints and tips or brands recommended?

Thanks in advance

Philip

Broadbandylegs Apr 15th, 2024 22:21

I have a 2013 V60 that had the same issue. As I understand it, the warning is for the main battery.

I went for these from Battery Group

Exide EK700 Start-Stop AGM 12V 70Ah 760A car battery
Article-No: 9882403

I also bought an auxiliary battery, as the car is 11 years old, so thought it would be worth it while I had the trim loosened.

EXIDE EK091 AGM AUXILIARY CAR BATTERY
Article-No: 61105

Minor tweaking of vent pipe needed, but nothing too challenging.

Everything fine after the swap.

scissors Apr 16th, 2024 10:01

1 Attachment(s)
I had the same issues and replaced the main battery a couple of years ago and everything has been fine since.

I bought a Type Varta Silver Dynamic 096 AGM 70Ah 760CCA but check your actual battery as they can differ.

I used the guide as attached, not sure where I got it from now.

I also reset the BMS using the procedure below:

1. Switch on ignition (do not start engine)
2. Switch on dipped beam
3. Press the rear fog light button six times (on-off-on-off-on-off)
4. Press the hazard lights button three times (on-off-on)
5. The battery symbol on the dash should flash quickly three times.

It sounds slightly ridiculous but it works.

Lancee Apr 16th, 2024 11:24

One from your main dealer will be the right one, and they are usually competitively priced.

Clan Apr 16th, 2024 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancee (Post 2945811)
One from your main dealer will be the right one, and they are usually competitively priced.

indeed, first port of call 👍

kdst5 Apr 16th, 2024 13:14

Not sure the dealers are competitively priced anymore for batteries. I replaced mine last year and phoned the dealer as in the past on a previous Volvo it was competitively priced. However this time was about 50% more than the same Bosch S5 from Tayna and that was delivered which, saved me a 26 mile round trip to the dealer as well.

GMcL Apr 16th, 2024 13:48

I will not buy batteries remotely via the internet. If there is a fault you cannot return them by post.
https://www.parcelforce.com/help-and...0bubble%20wrap.

scbamber Apr 16th, 2024 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMcL (Post 2945830)
I will not buy batteries remotely via the internet. If there is a fault you cannot return them by post.
https://www.parcelforce.com/help-and...0bubble%20wrap.

...but large suppliers have a big turnover and no stale batteries that have sat on a shelf for ages. Tayna for example send out batteries by courier for next day. Furthermore they accept returns with a very fair and clear policy, and send a Returns slip for the courier to take the battery back to them for testing; the small deposit for that Return is refunded

Kev0607 Apr 16th, 2024 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdst5 (Post 2945819)
Not sure the dealers are competitively priced anymore for batteries. I replaced mine last year and phoned the dealer as in the past on a previous Volvo it was competitively priced. However this time was about 50% more than the same Bosch S5 from Tayna and that was delivered which, saved me a 26 mile round trip to the dealer as well.

I don't think dealers are competitively priced for anything. Highly inflated and often way over the odds.

I do try getting a price from the dealer, but rarely buy from them because its too dear.

Clan Apr 16th, 2024 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by scbamber (Post 2945836)
...but large suppliers have a big turnover and no stale batteries that have sat on a shelf for ages. Tayna for example send out batteries by courier for next day. Furthermore they accept returns with a very fair and clear policy, and send a Returns slip for the courier to take the battery back to them for testing; the small deposit for that Return is refunded

If you are buying remotely then ask them what the terminal voltage is before they send it.. should be 12.7v minimum for a new one. if under 12.5 v its weak or been standing around and might not recover