Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   D4204T Double drain plug washer (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=324432)

mboros Mar 26th, 2022 18:11

Double drain plug washer

Today i changed the oil on my XC60 D4 and later realized i made a very dumb mistake.... Accidentally left the washer on the sump and put a new one on the plug. :shocked:

This is not my first oil change by any means and never happened similar. Can it cause a problem in the future? Can the plug loosen or leak oil?

I torqued it well and felt the washer is tightening completely.

I don't want to drain the expensive Liqui Moly oil if the 2 washers doesn't cause problem. I will keep my eye on the plug btw.

Any comment is appreciated :_:

Mrbrown Mar 26th, 2022 20:57

I have done this before on my 240. Never leaked. Can’t say for sure yours won’t but as long as it’s tightened good you shouldn’t worry. My 2 cents.

5cilinder Mar 27th, 2022 06:26

Even if it would leak(which i doubt)....it would be no more then a few drops a week.
Normal oil checking with the dipstick and or oillevel sensor should be preventing any (remote) trouble

passenger Apr 20th, 2022 08:29

Next oil change dont use 3 😁

Parknest Apr 20th, 2022 12:22

I nearly did this on my last oil change. Fortunately, I spotted this in time. I used a genuine Volvo oil filter which came with a new sump plug washer.

passenger Apr 20th, 2022 17:04

When do mechanic, I always sort all parts what I need. Never know..

mboros May 12th, 2022 21:34

Thank you all the replies!

I checked the drain plug every weekend and fortunately there was no leak at all.
I have a super organised workshop and all my tools have a exact position in order to eliminate missing tools and accidents (torx bit in engine cyl, microfibre towel in fan shroud etc..).
I always work per my own check lists and Volvo workshop manual.
But of course this is not my main job only a hobby and now i made a small mistake by applying double washers. Lesson learned.:_:

Thanks again all answers helped me to sleep well after this thing. :regular_smile:

TeamG May 13th, 2022 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by mboros (Post 2823949)
Thank you all the replies!

I checked the drain plug every weekend and fortunately there was no leak at all.
I have a super organised workshop and all my tools have a exact position in order to eliminate missing tools and accidents (torx bit in engine cyl, microfibre towel in fan shroud etc..).
I always work per my own check lists and Volvo workshop manual.
But of course this is not my main job only a hobby and now i made a small mistake by applying double washers. Lesson learned.:_:

Thanks again all answers helped me to sleep well after this thing. :regular_smile:

Sounds like my own level of OCD.

5cilinder May 15th, 2022 09:22

Dont forget to make 1000 i shall never sin prayers at the volvo altar:tongwink:

mboros Mar 27th, 2023 13:10

Just a quick follow up, yesterday i changed the oil and inspected the "famous" double washer.
There was only a very small oil leak but no drips. :cool:
Btw i was careful this time and removed the old washers. :tounge_smile:

Thank you again the support!