Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Volvo xc90 chip's (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=98437)

BroadstairsMatt Jun 20th, 2010 11:21

Volvo xc90 chip's

I have been looking on E Bay and seen that there are quite a few of these chips that inprove MPG and power. They vary from around 75 up to say 350 pounds. Has anyone used any of these and if so what have you found. I am tempted to try one of the cheaper ones to see how it goes.Matt

BroadstairsMatt Jun 20th, 2010 11:29

Sorry I put this in the wrong place.Doh!

adonis kebab Jun 21st, 2010 13:23

Hi, Matt. Ive put a £90 chip into my d5 163bhp manual xc90 and it flies. Massive difference in performance. Has effected mpg but only because my right foot is very heavy (as is the rest of me!). No problems with engine system. has been fitted for one year now and i won't be taking it out anytime soon! Just be careful on insurance though.

BroadstairsMatt Jun 21st, 2010 23:01

Cheers for the reply. Where abouts did you buy it from?

adonis kebab Jun 23rd, 2010 12:04

Ebay, believe it was dtuk but can't remember

chrisnjulie Jun 23rd, 2010 22:32

I have one of those plug-in boxes, a Panoramiq DTK, which I paid nearly £300 for. Made a hell of a difference to throttle response when fitted, and mpg was marginally better, but I took it off because Direct Line won't insure a car with any mods (unhelpful to$$ers).
I might be persuaded to part with it........................... PM me if you're interested and make me an offer, it's been tried & tested on a 185 D5 and it certainly works.

Chris N Jun 24th, 2010 07:36

Hi Chris, did you do much research in to these "boxes" before you picked this one?

yeoman Jun 24th, 2010 11:32

Chip and Direct line insurance

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisnjulie (Post 693137)
I have one of those plug-in boxes, a Panoramiq DTK, which I paid nearly £300 for. Made a hell of a difference to throttle response when fitted, and mpg was marginally better, but I took it off because Direct Line won't insure a car with any mods (unhelpful to$$ers).
I might be persuaded to part with it........................... PM me if you're interested and make me an offer, it's been tried & tested on a 185 D5 and it certainly works.

Hi, I am really surprised Direct line refused to insure your car because they happily insured mine with the diesel tuner chip I fitted.(and have done for 3 yrs now!!)The lady whom I last spoke to in Direct line seemed very chilled about it and only wanted to know the % increase in power output. She said that was what determined the size of the increase in the premium.My premiium went up by about 12% to 475 quid.
Did you try calling again and speaking to a different representative? Im my experience, some of the people who man the phones are blissfully ignorant !

chrisnjulie Jun 24th, 2010 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris N (Post 693273)
Hi Chris, did you do much research in to these "boxes" before you picked this one?

Only to the extent of checking reviews and they were quite good for this one. I think you might have to be more careful with some of the cheap & cheerful generic ones on good ol' fleabay.

chrisnjulie Jun 24th, 2010 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeoman (Post 693352)
Hi, I am really surprised Direct line refused to insure your car because they happily insured mine with the diesel tuner chip I fitted.(and have done for 3 yrs now!!)The lady whom I last spoke to in Direct line seemed very chilled about it and only wanted to know the % increase in power output. She said that was what determined the size of the increase in the premium.My premiium went up by about 12% to 475 quid.
Did you try calling again and speaking to a different representative? Im my experience, some of the people who man the phones are blissfully ignorant !

They used to cover them, but won't any more. When was your last renewal? I was told that the new rules were brought in on April 1st (how I wish it was a joke) this year, and it was just after that I asked (bluddy typical or what).

It may be that if you have been with them for a long time and had previously declared the mod they will cover it, but they won't accept any new policies if you have any engine mods of any kind. barstewards.