Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   300/66 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   340 tyres (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=1174)

dumfuck83 Jun 15th, 2002 10:34

340 tyres

hello I have a 340 with 14 inch 5 spokes.
My question is has anyone on hear ever tried fitting 195 tyres?...or whats the lowest profile i could get away with on 185's?
Also does anyone know where i can get a lowering kit for this car?..I know they are available but do not know where, all help much appreciated.

foggyjames Jun 16th, 2002 13:01

RE: 340 tyres

There is much debate regarding the profile and its implications on speedo mis-reading. 195s will fit, but its worth checking it...just in case. I have also seen 205s fitted, but this will probabaly cause problems unless the wings are 'altered' :)

Dave Slater can get you the lowering kit - he's lurking here somewhere.

cheers

james

ps: There seems to be a lot of interest here in the UK now about tuning / modding 300s - maybe because yoofs like myself are now getting their hands on these cars cos theyre so cheap - and cos they are far from perfect, so good fodder for tuning.

So how about someone starts up a site cataloging the cars / giving info / etc. I plan to put up some articles on my own site in the near future, but a dedicated UK 300 tuning site seems like a cool idea.

pps: dunno about the rules re: acceptable usernames, but that seems a bit inappropriate.

dumfuck83 Jun 17th, 2002 09:21

cheers the reply...yeah apologies for the username didn't realise it would be shown on screen, I will be back as someone else soon.

davebslater(uk) Jun 17th, 2002 09:52

Lurking somewhere thats me , front lowering springs are available and lowering blocks for the back . 195s should be ok .

foggyjames Jun 17th, 2002 09:53

No worries - im not too fussed, but there's some folk on here who probably wouldnt like it :)

Dave Slater's site is at www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk and im sure you can get his contact details from there. he can also advise you re: tyre sizes. I forget the cost of the lowering gear, but its something like £40 for the blocks for the rear.

cheers

james

foggyjames Jun 17th, 2002 10:02

Beat me to it Dave :)

cheers

james

scott340 Jun 17th, 2002 15:34

nice one guys, it's me by the way with a new name, apologies to anyone who found the previous name offensive.
Well looks like I will be giving you a call then Dave.
195's it it is.
My car is a G reg 340 1.7GL.
Now for the big question: is it true you can bolt on a turbo to this unit, if so has anyone done it on here?...my engine has done 65,000 genuine, will it cope with a turbo and would i have to cut a hole in the bonnet and scoop it up?

davebslater(uk) Jun 17th, 2002 16:00

Yes one that comes out of 480 or 440/460 turbo . Need the complete engine as pistons etc are different , you could get round the problem by having a thicker head gasket , that means you have to strip engine anyway . You may have some clearance issues with the turbo , Its all there for you to research . If you do it , add a manual boost controller and 150 hp is yours !!

foggyjames Jun 17th, 2002 23:00

go on Scott! i wanna see this beast! i have been told a renault 5 turbo engine fits (i guess the standard block is similar) - is it true Dave?

cheers

james

davebslater(uk) Jun 18th, 2002 20:15

Both 1.4 and 1.7 engines have been turbocharged but only 1.7 exists in volvo family . stick with volvo 1.7 turbo and youll have a blast.
Of course if you had a two litre a 7 series turbo would fit and you definitely would be getting serious then .