Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Engine: D5: Limp mode rectified (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=183831)

norfolk5 Jul 3rd, 2013 19:09

Limp mode rectified

Hi all,
thought I would post this info,had limp mode problem since xmas and tried several garages to sort the problem to no avail.But at last after all manner of remedies had failed I took the car to Saracens in Fakenham Norfolk,their technicians went over the car and diagnosed pipe to turbo,fitted new pipe and problem sorted,cannot thank them enough.Trevor and his team certainly know what they are doing. Any one with Volvo problems in Central Norfolk cannot go wrong seeking there no nonsense approach,just thought I would share my appreciation of them,

Tim.

L7DDO Jul 3rd, 2013 19:55

Ive missed your threads, BUT, was your issue the same as mine??

2005 S60 D5 (163) when going on full throttle up to 3.5k revs all ok, then just after that the engine service light comes on and then I have no turbo, i.e limp mode. This lasts for about 5 mins, the service light goes out and then i have full power again (till i boot it again)

Im thinking its the fuel filter being blocked, as the dealer let it run down to 10 miles left on the computer before i picked it up??? Maybe, maybe not. Im getting mine serviced next week so I'll post my findings.

Cheers

LJD Jul 3rd, 2013 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by L7DDO (Post 1444415)

2005 S60 D5 (163) when going on full throttle up to 3.5k revs all ok, then just after that the engine service light comes on and then I have no turbo, i.e limp mode. This lasts for about 5 mins, the service light goes out and then i have full power again (till i boot it again)

Im thinking its the fuel filter being blocked, as the dealer let it run down to 10 miles left on the computer before i picked it up??? Maybe, maybe not. Im getting mine serviced next week so I'll post my findings.

Cheers

Firstly

I am shocked no other garage looked at that pipe !! its a very obvious one to check

100% swap the filter over .It was a problem for my car as i had trusted the fuel gauge too much !

norfolk5 Jul 3rd, 2013 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by L7DDO (Post 1444415)

Cheers

Hi, Mine would go into limp mode on a gradient mostly between 2500 & 3500 rpm sometimes it would go back but more often than not I had to stop and restart until it happened again.Two garages assured me it was not the Turbo pipe,but the technicians at Saracens picked it up straight away and removed the headache it was causing me.If anybody has any Volvo problems in central Norfolk I cannot recommend them highly enough,I have put their contact details on here as I am so impressed with there service.I also had been told to replace the fuel filter by the other garages which I did with no effect.As this problem has been with me since I acquired the car in November last year it now drives as it should,well done Saracens.

http://saracensgroup.co.uk/#/contact-us/4566361139

L7DDO Jul 4th, 2013 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by norfolk5 (Post 1444618)
Hi, Mine would go into limp mode on a gradient mostly between 2500 & 3500 rpm sometimes it would go back but more often than not I had to stop and restart until it happened again.Two garages assured me it was not the Turbo pipe,but the technicians at Saracens picked it up straight away and removed the headache it was causing me.

Dont suppose someone can post a picture of this pipe and where it is and the part number???

Cheers

RAN60 Jul 4th, 2013 12:14

Could have saved yourself a few £££'s if you had read up on forum and had a go yourself.

Theres plenty of knowledge floating about on these topics from many of us on here and plenty of How To's. Dont be affraid to ask first :thumbs_up:

Still great to hear there are some garages trust worthy out there!!

Just out of curiosity how much did they charge for the repair/parts etc?

Rich

norfolk5 Jul 4th, 2013 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by L7DDO (Post 1444792)
Don't suppose someone can post a picture of this pipe and where it is and the part number???

Cheers

Part number 30680445. Just Google it as Volvo part number in images.I think it is at the back of the engine.

fogster Jul 4th, 2013 15:18

Link to the pipe location

Mad - I have just 30 minutes ago written this up and posted it!

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...9&postcount=39

Hope it helps! :D

norfolk5 Jul 7th, 2013 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAN60 (Post 1444801)
Could have saved yourself a few £££'s if you had read up on forum and had a go yourself.

Theres plenty of knowledge floating about on these topics from many of us on here and plenty of How To's. Dont be affraid to ask first :thumbs_up:

Still great to hear there are some garages trust worthy out there!!

Just out of curiosity how much did they charge for the repair/parts etc?

Rich

I had been on the forum with this problem and had many helpful replies which I had relayed to others but had been told that the Turbo pipes were perfectly OK,which I had taken to be so as I am not technically ofay and rely on their professional EXPERTIES.However it was sorted by Saracens and now runs as it has never done before.As a matter of interest would it impede the running if the pipe is starting to go soft and does not trigger LIMP MODE?.

outnumbered Jul 7th, 2013 13:49

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2811183801...84.m1436.l2649