Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   d5 mpg (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221320)

dylan5084 Jan 9th, 2015 08:14

d5 mpg

I'm only getting 320 miles to a tank on the beast, which I figured to be about 22-23mpg, is this normal? Its not due a service till May, and it got a fuel filter at the last service, what can I do to improve mpg? What is everyone else getting mpg wise?

Could there be error codes on it causing poor economy

My most common drive is too and from work which is only 8 miles, 3 of which is a back road, but I should be getting better mpg than that surely?

What improvements can I expect to see remapping it? Is it beneficial to remove the dpf? Or egr valve?

cars The 163bhp 2003 d5 model, Thanks Dylan.

rich1068 Jan 9th, 2015 09:28

I have to admit that I think these cars are extremely thirsty. With my mix of driving (around town, a few A roads, the odd motorway blast) I get sub-25mpg. But even though my car is brand new it's old tech, it's heavy and the gearbox is a bit of a clunker.

That said, currently I wouldn't swap it for anything so it's forgiven :)

AB-UK Jan 9th, 2015 09:54

I had a 380 miles round trip the other week, and the ave mpg read 29.9.
However, when I refilled my tank and did a manual calculation, it was 35mpg.

I think the only reliable method is a brim-to-brim check of actual fuel used.

Ducklakeview Jan 9th, 2015 10:29

I drive mine HARD, and I average 28mpg over mixed use...

Mike

Beavis Jan 9th, 2015 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by dylan5084 (Post 1821743)
I'm only getting 320 miles to a tank on the beast, which I figured to be about 22-23mpg, is this normal? Its not due a service till May, and it got a fuel filter at the last service, what can I do to improve mpg? What is everyone else getting mpg wise?

My most common drive is too and from work which is only 8 miles, 3 of which is a back road, but I should be getting better mpg than that surely?

What improvements can I expect to see remapping it? Is it beneficial to remove the dpf? Or egr valve?

mines an 06 185 version. i get c.23-25. mainly short town trips (most under 3-4 miles start to end), with occasional weekend trip to parents - 30 miles round trip. i've had an MTE remap which boosts power, but under my driving conditions did not make difference to economy. it did help on long motorway trips at c.60-70 when i saw a return of 33mpg, compared to 29 previously. mine is serviced as per spec and i run nokian tyres (high resistance i think) at 39psi.

Colger23 Jan 9th, 2015 12:13

My XC90 is 2010 D5 SE - overall fuel consumption since I purchased the car , which was in August 2013 is 26.559113 mpg - I always fill brim to brim and record the result together with mileage etc (sad I know). My best fuel consumption was on a motorway journey keeping the speed below 70 (between 50 and 60) when the car achieved 35.78665 mpg - the lowest consumption is around 23 mpg, in particular when towing a twin axle caravan.
Fuel consumption isn't one of its strongest assets, but, what the hell, you can't take it with you and its a lovely car for my purpose (just two of us, plenty of space and capable of towing a luxury caravan !!!

Brendan W Jan 9th, 2015 12:58

Quote:

Something wrong there I think. Have the same engine and get at least 45mpg on mixed driving ( brim to brim) in the eight years I've had it. How long between refills on average?
I doubt very much you have a dpf. A 163 D5 should be an E3 unit. Can't see fiddling with the egr making that kind of difference either.
Start with the simple stuff. Tyre pressures, is a wheel getting hot from brake dragging, lots of smoke out the back on acceleration ?
Eight miles is short for a D5. I'd say the temp needle has barely got to mid point in that time. Even so diesels are vey good at part load. Are you auto or manual. I'd expect a cold auto a low speeds in the heavier car to knock 15- 25% off of my 45mpg but not halve it.

DC850 Jan 9th, 2015 12:58

Quote:

Hi Dylan,
I have the model as you, 2003 D5 163BHP, and have a similar commute except town driving. I achieve around 26 on the commute. But had a 350 mile run between Xmas and New year and I was achieving 38.5 mpg these readings are via the trip computer, my brim to brim check did return close figures to these.

DC850 Jan 9th, 2015 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan W (Post 1821852)
Something wrong there I think. Have the same engine and get at least 45mpg on mixed driving ( brim to brim) in the eight years I've had it. How long between refills on average?
I doubt very much you have a dpf. A 163 D5 should be an E3 unit. Can't see fiddling with the egr making that kind of difference either.
Start with the simple stuff. Tyre pressures, is a wheel getting hot from brake dragging, lots of smoke out the back on acceleration ?
Eight miles is short for a D5. I'd say the temp needle has barely got to mid point in that time. Even so diesels are vey good at part load. Are you auto or manual. I'd expect a cold auto a low speeds in the heavier car to knock 15- 25% off of my 45mpg but not halve it.

My wifes V70 D5 achieves 45 MPG but not my XC90

Curly59 Jan 9th, 2015 13:03

41,000 miles in 18 months since purchase average 29 mpg, calculated on brim to brim
25% local, 25% open road, 50% motorway (estimate mix)

Driven hard on the open road, relaxed around town.