Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   V60 Recharge Ultimate (my23) - Google Automotive is awful (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=327906)

ma42 Sep 25th, 2022 23:17

V60 Recharge Ultimate (my23) - Google Automotive is awful

After a 9 month wait, collected my new V60 4 days ago. Drives well and very comfortable but very disappointed with the Google control & entertainment system. My last Volvo, an xc70 (2015-2018), had the Sensus system that was well designed and easy to use. I could plug-in a USB memory stick with mp3s or stream from a mobile phone easily. The Android system will not play from a USB memory stick, and I can only play music from my phone if I initiate playing tracks on the phone (not legal if driving). There are very few apps, and what choice exists are no use to me. It looks like a rush job, badly designed, poorly executed and not user friendly.

The Volvo mobile app is laughable. It looks amateurish and does very little that is useful. There is no map to locate the car and no record of journeys. Almost completely useless. I part exchanged a Merc E class, although I don't miss the car (it was hopeless in winter), the app was well designed and full of useful features and information.

Anybody out there knows how to get a USB port able to read a memory stick of mp3s? I've tried all the different formats, FAT, exFAT and NTFS.

giftgrub100 Sep 26th, 2022 08:53

Nice review of the system, some useful feedback for Volvo.

You can use USB stick, need to download audiowagon, details on link below.

https://moleman1024.github.io/audiowagon/

For bluetooth streaming, it will normally pick up from what was last played on your phone (does with mine ,Apple phone) you just need to press the play button the centre screen if it does not play automatically, (i just have playlists and it plays from that)

Do agree that the Volvo app is not great and a big backward step, hopefully will improve in the future.

ma42 Sep 26th, 2022 09:08

thanks giftgrub ..... audiowagon looks like an excellent solution. The only problem is that when I go into Play Store on the V60 it is not shown as an install option. Do you know any way I can install via a USB stick?

giftgrub100 Sep 26th, 2022 11:51

Audiowagon should be in the play store, go to the search option and search Audio it comes up.

Just checked our car and its available as an option on the screen.

Also Spotify / Radio Online / Pocketcast should all be available to install.

smithsc Sep 26th, 2022 12:13

"The Volvo mobile app is laughable. It looks amateurish and does very little that is useful. There is no map to locate the car and no record of journeys. Almost completely useless"

Are you sure you can't see the map to locate the vehicle or record journeys as I can see both on my app (22 plate S60 Polestar).

You need to enable driving journal to show record of journals.

ma42 Sep 26th, 2022 14:10

thx again giftgrub ... found app & installed it but unfortunately when I insert a USB stick, I get an error message "This USB device is not supported". I'm going to contact the dealer and see what they have to say. The radio stopped working today and the centre console went blank & the system re-booted while I was driving ..... a bit disconcerting.

ccfcforever1987 Sep 26th, 2022 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ma42 (Post 2847180)
thx again giftgrub ... found app & installed it but unfortunately when I insert a USB stick, I get an error message "This USB device is not supported". I'm going to contact the dealer and see what they have to say. The radio stopped working today and the centre console went blank & the system re-booted while I was driving ..... a bit disconcerting.

I have had that a few times on my '19' plate V60 with Sensus. That may not be an AAOS fault.

I am reading these comments with interest though as I will be looking to change mine in the near future and maybe I am wrong but the consensus (from this and other threads) appears to be that the AAOS is a step backwards from the previosu Sensus system.

ma42 Sep 26th, 2022 14:15

Hi smithsc .... I can't see a map. The app version is 5.18.1

ma42 Sep 26th, 2022 14:17

1 Attachment(s)
smithsc

pic of app main screen attached:

ma42 Sep 26th, 2022 14:35

hi ccfcforever,
I'm retired from the computer industry and spent a number of years working in software companies or as a consultant reviewing applications. AAOS is not as good as Sensus by any means but then Sensus matured over a number of years and many iterations. AAOS has the feel of an App rushed to market ahead of its time, poorly implemented and designed by people who did not bother spending time with the target marketplace. The mobile phone app is even worse especially compared to the Merc app. The Merc app is a shining example of good programming design and execution.

The car is great and better than the Merc I part-exed. I'm really impressed with the way hybrid mode works but the mileage from the new larger battery is a bit disappointing. At best I'm getting about 30-35 miles from a full charge compared to the WLTP figure of 57miles.