Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   960 Crankcase breather system (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51362)

m0bzy Jan 16th, 2008 21:49

960 Crankcase breather system

MOT time again , passed with a new set of indicator bulbs. I asked the garage to locate an oil leak that has appeared , they reckon the breather system is blocked.That must be the only system I havn't checked since purchase
I have searched for a diagram of said system , without success , I have also checked online parts suppliers and non seem to stock parts for 960's.
I am off to the main dealer on Saturday and it would be nice to know what I need.Car is a 1996 3 liter.
I had considered having a run up to the Scotish mini meet , but I don't fancy blowing a sump full of oil over the M6
Any advice appreciated

Regards

Mike

CTCNetwork Jan 16th, 2008 23:00

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Attached is the breather system for the V90. Should be the same for the most part to that on the 960.
Ohhh, yes. It is mostly hidden under the inlet manifold, so you need to be very dexterous!!

Parts you can get from GSF or partsforvolvos and Nordic (discount for VOC members)..

Des. . . ;)

niloc Jan 17th, 2008 00:28

The oil separator box (oil trap - item 1 in the pic) will be virtually impossible to get off/back on with the inlet system in place. I had a look at my old engine when it was off - the oil trap has a small pipe between it and the block held by jubilee clips (or was it those crimp on clips)

Paris6282 Jan 17th, 2008 01:31

960 crankcase breather

Pipes to oil seperator box get very brittle and tend to leak with higher miles you will need new seal from crankcase to box these tend to be prime leak point inlet manifold needs to be removed to carry out this work NOTE none volvo boxes are not as good quality (where hoses join box nozzles are lot shorter)

rogerb Jan 17th, 2008 23:41

I changed the seals for the breather box on my 1996 3.0l 960 and both seals were of a difrent desine to the orignal.
To do the job right you need to remove the inlet manifold , and probley you will find the gaskit leaking/broken any way. The box on my car was fine with just a clean (others may be blocked) , but the pipes had gone very hard ,and the main problem was the flame trap was blocked (also clean the part it fits in to as that has a restritor in it.
Regards Roger

m0bzy Jan 18th, 2008 11:18

Thank you all,I had intended to clean the throttle body etc,so it would seem a good time.

Mike

Peter 62 Feb 8th, 2008 10:48

Just about to do mine as well (improved oil breathing being the main objective). Thought I'd do the lot today but have changed my mind due to extra bits that I may need to order. (I only have the flame trap/shield at the moment).

Have you done yours yet Mike? Any advice on other 'bits' I may need? From the notes I have read it looks a possibility that I may need some rubber hose clamps for the inlet manifold mating flange (purely based on what I have read so far). Once I start the job may find a shortcut or two, but then of course may need to do things that not even thought about!!

Any advice much appreciated. (Another thought, if you have done it, how long did the job take end to end?)

Thanks, Peter

m0bzy Feb 8th, 2008 19:30

Still waiting

No , but I will make another attempt to-morrow Sat'.

mike

Peter 62 Feb 8th, 2008 20:25

Cheers Mike, let me know how you get on.

Had a quick look today. The replacement flame trap did not have the 'tea bag' bit. Spoke with GSF (whose flame trap kit does nor have the 'tea bag') and the theory was that that was potentialy a problem in causing blockages. I fully agree with this. What is the risk of 'our' engines catching fire against breathing better?

So, maybe we don't need new flame traps (Just clean out the old ones and discard the 'filter bit'). So, I've got the new bit at that end and will fit it.

The connecting 'pipes' (small ones, apx. 3mm bore) are totally clogged. Clean these thoroughly (or replace) and clean (or replace) the oil breather box, plus replace any other cracked pipes as necessary and we should be there?????

Quick glance at the inlet manifold connections suggest to me that these are reusable (hose clips). Concern for me now is gaskets and any 'cracked gaskets/'O' rings.

m0bzy Feb 9th, 2008 12:27

Inlet manifold removal of.

I can see the six hoses on the manifold but I cannot find any mounting bolts,I know my eyes are not too clever so I removed the throttle butterfly to give better sight,but still nothing.Anyone know if the fuel rail has to be removed first?
Worrying thing is that A) I can see a gasket lying behind the manifold.
B) Blowing down the largest hose proves there is no free passage of air,although the smaller hoses seem clear.
I wonder if Des has a Vadis diagramme of the inlet manifold??

Mike