Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   S60 D5 Engine Maintenece (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=312746)

James2k2 Dec 23rd, 2020 11:58

S60 D5 Engine Maintenece

Hi all,

Just a real quick one hopefully. My MY2014 S60 runs pretty well, and is still returning me high 50's MPG, if not over 60 so it's in decent shape I'd say.

However after 118K miles, it doesn't quite sound as smooth as it once did when idling, and equally starts aren't quite as smooth. They're still fairly quick but when it starts you can tell there's more effort being required.

It's had services each year, and it recently had the cambelt done so I'd say I've done the 'norm' for servicing.

My question: Is there any other not so 'norm' that can be recommended to bring it back to the silky smooth it once had? Or even just to keep it as good as can be. I intend to keep it for a further 2 years at least so want it to serve me well. I do a daily commute of around 150mi round trip.

Cheers!

Easington Dec 23rd, 2020 13:23

Try some injector cleaner and perhaps your glow plugs are on the way out?

Sotosound Dec 23rd, 2020 21:35

Does it still have the original battery?

James2k2 Dec 24th, 2020 11:36

Thanks for the advice. Any particular injector cleaner you'd recommend? I'll have a look into glow plugs.

I believe it's still on the original battery. It's never once had an issue starting and even after 2 weeks or so of no movement during the Lockdown earlier this year it still started fine. It did take a while before auto stop/start worked though.

Cheers!

Drunk Dec 25th, 2020 22:56

don't believe in all those cleaning agents, if you dont have any smoke, rough idle or serious consumption issues your injectors are fine. It's probably the intake manifold and the egr system that's getting clogged up, a good clean would definitely help somewhat, thats for bringing the power back. If it starts slowly it might be the battery or the glow plugs, or both

Easington Dec 27th, 2020 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by James2k2 (Post 2691938)
Thanks for the advice. Any particular injector cleaner you'd recommend? I'll have a look into glow plugs.

I believe it's still on the original battery. It's never once had an issue starting and even after 2 weeks or so of no movement during the Lockdown earlier this year it still started fine. It did take a while before auto stop/start worked though.

Cheers!

Some folk believe in them, some don't. The internet will show research for both answers. I always buy whatever is on offer in Asda. For about £2 a bottle every couple of months it doesn't do any harm

James2k2 Dec 27th, 2020 14:30

Great, thanks. I definitely don't have issue with performance, or consumption. It's just the idle is a little noisier than it used to be, but definitely not rough. Like you don't feel any abnormal vibrating from the vehicle or anything.

With the advice given then, perhaps I'll look at glow plugs or battery (or both). I do occasionally get 'please wait, starting' or something to that effect on the screen.

@easington, can I just ask (off topic apologies) did the Polestar upgrade change much MPG wise, how much did you pay and was it worth it?

Cheers!

Easington Dec 29th, 2020 16:06

[QUOTE=

@easington, can I just ask (off topic apologies) did the Polestar upgrade change much MPG wise, how much did you pay and was it worth it?

Cheers![/QUOTE]

No noticeable difference on MPG. Volvo had an offer on recently so I paid £374 for it which I think was worth it. If I'd paid full price I would have been disappointed though. It makes the car sharper and more responsive. Being the auto you need to be careful with remaps not to exceed the torque limits of the gearbox

Bonefishblues Dec 29th, 2020 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easington (Post 2693114)
No noticeable difference on MPG. Volvo had an offer on recently so I paid £374 for it which I think was worth it. If I'd paid full price I would have been disappointed though. It makes the car sharper and more responsive. Being the auto you need to be careful with remaps not to exceed the torque limits of the gearbox

Not an issue with an OEM Polestar map, of course. (TF80's limit is 440 NM btw)

Buckshot61 Dec 29th, 2020 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easington (Post 2693114)
Being the auto you need to be careful with remaps not to exceed the torque limits of the gearbox

BSR limits the torque on low gears