Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   V40 XC Entertainment - USB connection to smart phone (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=192170)

RobSay Nov 6th, 2013 15:41

V40 XC Entertainment - USB connection to smart phone

Afternoon - I've recently picked up a really rather nice V40 Cross Country and everything has worked like a dream ... with one minor exception.

Within the in-car system (HTC & Samsung phones)
- Bluetooth for phone works fine
- Bluetooth for streaming works fine
- USB for charging works fine
- USB as a media device only works for HTC and does not work for the Samsung phone.

Samsung Galaxy phone reports successfully connected as media device but the in-car systems just stays on 'connecting'

Anybody played with any of this and have any insight or comparisons?

thanks

Rob

cumbrianmale Nov 6th, 2013 17:40

Hi Rob

I have a V40 and a Samsung Galaxy S4. I have only usb bluetooth connection but will try usb tomorrow and report back.

cumbrianmale Nov 7th, 2013 22:57

Right then, my phone streams music over Bluetooth without issue. I have only ever used the USB for charging, but tried to use it as a USB device. Car tries to connect and I get an error message on the phone to say no software found XP service pack 3 and to download Kies Air. So looks like its a Samsung issue rather than a Volvo issue.

RobSay Nov 8th, 2013 16:26

V40 XC Entertainment - USB connection to smart phone

Quote:

Originally Posted by cumbrianmale (Post 1514848)
Right then ...So looks like its a Samsung issue rather than a Volvo issue.

Thanks for that - confirms what I was seeing. I followed this issue up elsewhere as well and it does look to be related to how a modern Android device thinks it should behave when connected to another media system.
(HTC was running v2, Samsung is v4)

* Samsung Android invokes the Media Transfer Protocol when connecting to another device. It's means you can keep using your phone.
* Volvo Ents expects device to be connected as USB Mass Storage device (which would disable other functions on the phone)

So I guess I'll just get a massive USB stick and drop all my music on to that, leave the phone on bluetooth and away we go.

(Don't have time to start messing with the Phone OS)

cumbrianmale Nov 13th, 2013 22:50

Have you tried audio output mode in accessories? What about PTP instead of MTP connection? I will try to see if I can get anywhere with these tomorrow. Phone just updated from Andriod 4.2.2 to 4.3

cumbrianmale Nov 14th, 2013 20:33

No joy with either of these either. Is it Samsung or Android that's the problem? My old HTC Desire Z had the choices of charge only, media device or disc drive when connected to USB, it was on gingerbread until I installed the dev rom of jelly bean. Have you had a look for a solution on xdadevelopers forum?

sprout99 Nov 21st, 2013 11:58

For info - the ipod works through the USB without any problems.

Likewise i'll have to invest in a suitable USB stick