Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Looking to buy a diesel V40 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=323631)

PC2CV Feb 16th, 2022 23:06

Looking to buy a diesel V40

Hi all
I am looking to buy a V40, but on the fence about what engine to get.

I have come from a long line of french cars, 406 2.0 HDi was old faithful for 10 years and then i drove a Berlingo 1.6 8v HDi until very recently when it got wrote off.

What has drawn me to the V40 was it has the same DV6 engine as my berlingo, an engine im fairly familiar with in the french applications having done many a timing belt and service in Berlingo, 307, 308, C4 etc. I generally consider them to be reliable if serviced. However i see threads over here in volvo land discussing cracked blocks.

How common a problem is a cracked block on a D2 engine? Is it just the usual forum thing of problems getting complained about more than good cars? Did volvo do anything different to this engine to make it at risk of cracking the block.

My thoughts on the other engines. The 5 pot D3/D4 would tempt me, but i can just as easily start searching through forums to see threads of cracked blocks for that engine, and im after something more for economy than out and out power.

The VED 2.0 4 pot engine is in much fresher cars out of my budget, and i suppose hard to know yet how reliable they are as they age.

Tannaton Feb 16th, 2022 23:24

In the pre 2015 model year D2 cars it’s the same 4 pot 1.6 diesel as the Citroens, Peugeots also BMW Mini, some Fords etc. and looked after properly you can expect it to be reliable.

The majority of V40 models of those years had this engine as it was the cheapest diesel and lowest running costs - consequently it’s the one most likely to be bought by people on a budget who may scrimp maintenance and the one you’re most likely to read about as there is so many more of them in use.

The real issue is the Volvo engines set a very high bar in terms of longevity and reliability so in comparison the 1.6 looks bad even though it’s not.

A well maintained 1.6d should make 180k +. I don’t think anyone has ever worn out a D3/D4 Engine in a V40….

The 1.6 d used to get complimented by the motoring press but the Volvo engines are superb and suit the car so well, I prefer the Volvo gearbox also. Cracked blocks are virtually unheard of, it’s not something you should worry about.

gmonag Feb 17th, 2022 11:52

The engine is not the issue but the D2 gearbox is a Ford unit, using dry clutches. The D3/D4 have a conventional torque converter. Test drive to make your own opinion.
(Spoiler - I did, and rejected the D2. I bought a D3)

Tannaton Feb 17th, 2022 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmonag (Post 2808302)
The engine is not the issue but the D2 gearbox is a Ford unit, using dry clutches. The D3/D4 have a conventional torque converter. Test drive to make your own opinion.
(Spoiler - I did, and rejected the D2. I bought a D3)

Up to MY 2015:

The D2 Auto (powershift) is a Ford "DSG alike" unit and you do hear of problems, often due to lack of oil changes.

The D2 manual has a Ford MMT gearbox which is okay. The D3/D4 have the Volvo M66 which is superb....