Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   S60 2.0T 2005 automatic - transmission fault? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=328090)

MRkSTL Oct 6th, 2022 08:40

S60 2.0T 2005 automatic - transmission fault?

Hi,

I started to have an intermittent fault with the transmission. It happened 3 times since last week and basically what happens is that when I stop I change gear to P, there is a loud noise, like a hammer drill, and the gear selector vibrates a bit. It stops when I press the brake pedal (clutch) and it doesn't do it on Neutral, Drive, Reverse etc. Any ideas what it is? Is the clutch nearly done? Or some kind of mechanical fault with the transmission?

I will upload a video on YT and post the link bit later. However if anyone had similar problem, any help would be much appreciated.

I'm booked in for diagnostics on Monday, but I guess their computer won't find anything if it's a mechanical problem.

Thanks

MRkSTL Oct 6th, 2022 19:18

https://youtu.be/XtV4MSYsH3U a video of the issue

barrybritcher Oct 6th, 2022 23:52

probably the convertor dead

MRkSTL Oct 7th, 2022 07:25

if it's the torque converter, there is no point to fix it, is it? It's going to cost the price of the car...

SnineT Oct 7th, 2022 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRkSTL (Post 2849245)
if it's the torque converter, there is no point to fix it, is it? It's going to cost the price of the car...

The pedal is taking up slack somewhere, when a TC goes bad it's normally seen by it slipping like a burned out clutch in a manual.

As the brake pedal shuts it up it has to be something on the hydraulic circuit but what I don't know, it could still be a TC fault but I'd have thought it would do it in N as well if it was. I'd be looking at the selector linkage but that doesn't explain why the brake pedal shuts it up.

You might with a bit of help get the car up in the air safely jacked and standed one side at a time get someone to do the brake pedal while you observe the driveshafts and the condition of the rubber boots on them, the pedal might be enough to dampen the vibes that may be coming out of the box and along the shafts, if it is that it's going to be a new box time which as you say unless you can find a cheap second hand one makes the car razor blades and Chum tins.

b1mcp Oct 8th, 2022 08:15

I don't think you have a problem with the transmission.

I don't know the model specifically, but on all automatics there is usually a relay and solenoid that prevents the lever moving out of Park unless the brake pedal is pressed.

It sounds like that relay/solenoid is opening and closing repeatedly so some kind of electrical gremlin.

When you press the brake pedal it fully opens the solenoid and the noise stops.

That would be my best guess.

VOLVOBOY Oct 8th, 2022 12:00

Hi

1 Attachment(s)
Agree with previous post.
Check the PNP switch adjustment first . Done with the shifter in "Park" . The long axis of the shaft should align between the two marks on the housing . Also the hex nut should be nipped up but not over tightened.

VOLVOBOY Oct 8th, 2022 15:27

As b1mcp says...
With ign on and trans in park...
Press the brake pedal and you should hear the faint click by the shift lever of the release solenoid.
This solenoid is operated by a switch mounted above and operated by the pedal arm . Your description doesn`t sound like switch failure but the switch may have dislodged from its mounting bracket . You have to remove the lower dash panel , move the seat back and get your head into the footwell to see it .
May also be worth checking the two wires /spade ends on the solenoid . Could be something shorting/grounding out.

Moomoo Oct 8th, 2022 16:20

Is any vacuum in involved in the transmission at all?

Sounds like a pump over working possibly?🤔

stuart bowes Oct 8th, 2022 18:25

I don't believe so, going by the 'hammer drill' description, the solenoid suggestion sounds most likely to me as well, and as already stated it seems to be only in situations which involve the latching mechanism