Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Difference between the Nivomat and standard spring (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325921)

galiiiva Jun 10th, 2022 16:03

Difference between the Nivomat and standard spring

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all well?

My car is Volvo XC90 2011 2.4 AWD 185 BHP

One of my rear shock absorbers has leaked oil and it appears that this is a Nivomat shock absorber (I know that they are different to the standard shocks).

I have been looking online for a replacement and it appears that those are very costly to replace especially when you want to replace both which is the right thing to do.

I have tried to purchase 2 separate shocks SACHS 317 350 but have been told that they do not match the vehicle and the seller refused to sell them to me.

I have found that kit (not affiliated or trying to advertise them at all - just to point as a reference) - https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...oducts_id=9981. It looks like the shocks are the same as above?

I am struggling to understand why I have to replace the springs as well.

Looking at my springs and the ones in the kit I cannot find any difference and also when I spoke with the company they said the kit only include 2 shocks and 2 springs - no rubber mountings, beds, washer etc.

I'd appreciate if someone has gone through the same trouble and have replaced the rear shocks to explain/advise what is the difference.

I am interested not because I don't want to spend the money but the job will take way more time than if I replace the shocks only and at the moment I just don't have it.

I am not using the car under heavy load and probably have 7 passengers - 4 of them children only once a year for a birthday party - but that is all.

Any comments appreciated

Regards

Dancake Jun 10th, 2022 16:17

The springs fitted with Nivomats are basically softer than those fitted with standard dampers. This is because the Nivomats take some of the load. If you replace the Nivomats with standard dampers but don't replace the springs with standard springs, the back end of the car will feel very bouncy and will roll excessively through corners.

XC90Mk1 Jun 10th, 2022 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by galiiiva (Post 2828534)
Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all well?

My car is Volvo XC90 2010 2.4 AWD 185 BHP

One of my rear shock absorbers has leaked oil and it appears that this is a Nivomat shock absorber (I know that they are different to the standard shocks).

I have been looking online for a replacement and it appears that those are very costly to replace especially when you want to replace both which is the right thing to do.

I have tried to purchase 2 separate shocks SACHS 317 350 but have been told that they do not match the vehicle and the seller refused to sell them to me.

I have found that kit (not affiliated or trying to advertise them at all - just to point as a reference) - https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...oducts_id=9981. It looks like the shocks are the same as above?

I am struggling to understand why I have to replace the springs as well.

Looking at my springs and the ones in the kit I cannot find any difference and also when I spoke with the company they said the kit only include 2 shocks and 2 springs - no rubber mountings, beds, washer etc.

I'd appreciate if someone has gone through the same trouble and have replaced the rear shocks to explain/advise what is the difference.

I am interested not because I don't want to spend the money but the job will take way more time than if I replace the shocks only and at the moment I just don't have it.

I am not using the car under heavy load and probably have 7 passengers - 4 of them children only once a year for a birthday party - but that is all.

Any comments appreciated

Regards

The one observation I would have is that Volvo do not recommend replacing in pairs (some one correct me if wrong).

The is not another Volvo more pampered than mine and I would not hesitate to replace a single Nivomat based on my understanding.

Naturally mine has 4 matching tyres which I rotate, I only use Volvo parts even at 120k and the auto box fluid, Haldex fluid etc etc has all been changed. But even I would change individually.

Also…. This discussion may hVe merit on a V70. However the 90 was never available without Nivomats so now we are into the realm of replacing it with cross referenced parts.

Honestly, bite the bullet and purchase a single one and replace it would be my advice.

galiiiva Jun 10th, 2022 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancake (Post 2828538)
The springs fitted with Nivomats are basically softer than those fitted with standard dampers. This is because the Nivomats take some of the load. If you replace the Nivomats with standard dampers but don't replace the springs with standard springs, the back end of the car will feel very bouncy and will roll excessively through corners.

Thank you Dancake, I thought that might be the case but never anticipated it will be as bad as it sounds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2828564)
The one observation I would have is that Volvo do not recommend replacing in pairs (some one correct me if wrong).

The is not another Volvo more pampered than mine and I would not hesitate to replace a single Nivomat based on my understanding.

Thanks XC90Mk1. I have always so far replaced most parts and especially shocks and tyres in pairs. My understanding is that while the other shock is still ok and performing, it is the original one and very likely the years have left its mark on it. This is why I am trying to understand the difference between the springs and will it be as bad as it sounds :) but I assume it might be

XC90Mk1 Jun 10th, 2022 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by galiiiva (Post 2828568)
Thank you Dancake, I thought that might be the case but never anticipated it will be as bad as it sounds.

Thanks XC90Mk1. I have always so far replaced most parts and especially shocks and tyres in pairs. My understanding is that while the other shock is still ok and performing, it is the original one and very likely the years have left its mark on it. This is why I am trying to understand the difference between the springs and will it be as bad as it sounds :) but I assume it might be

I have always replaced in axle sets, tyres, shocks, springs, discs etc.

And I would replace the front shocks and front and rear springs in axle sets. But I understand there never was a requirement to do nivomats in pars.

The quality of nivomis high and end of life for one doesn’t mean end for other. They also don’t degrade as such. They simply work or don’t.

TruckbusUK Jun 10th, 2022 21:14

Re the Nivomat springs vs the std non self levelling suspension, I believe the Nivomat compatible springs are much softer and a different length, so are totally incompatible with non Nivomat suspension setup, and vice versa.

Also don't rely on internet threads from American forums, many of the US spec'd cars didn't have Nivomat setup. All UK cars were 7 seat and supplied with Nivomat self-levelling suspension.

I also concur that there is no reason to replace both Nivomats if only one has failed. Second hand from a breaker should be fine, but remember the non-UK upgrade kit had 2 x springs and 2 x Nivomats for about £450 from a Volvo dealer, should the need arise (much cheaper than buying a single new Nivomat.)

Hope it helps :regular_smile:

Clan Jun 10th, 2022 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2828564)

Naturally mine has 4 matching tyres which I rotate, I only use Volvo parts even at 120k and the auto box fluid, Haldex fluid etc etc has all been changed. But even I would change individually.

Also…. This discussion may hVe merit on a V70. However the 90 was never available without Nivomats so now we are into the realm of replacing it with cross referenced parts.

Honestly, bite the bullet and purchase a single one and replace it would be my advice.

Yes that is correct , they dont seem to wear out but something fails in one or the other so replacing just one is fine.

galiiiva Jun 14th, 2022 20:08

Thank you all, appreciate your feedback.
I have ordered today a conversion kit and what I will do is will try to fit the shocks first to see if there is a difference in ride height and also will see if there is any difference in the softness of the springs.

I didn't want to go for 1 nivomat only.

XC90Mk1 Jun 14th, 2022 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by galiiiva (Post 2829247)
Thank you all, appreciate your feedback.
I have ordered today a conversion kit and what I will do is will try to fit the shocks first to see if there is a difference in ride height and also will see if there is any difference in the softness of the springs.

I didn't want to go for 1 nivomat only.

That’s interesting to hear. It’s not a route I will take as I use mine for load carrying but I would be interested to hear how you get on.

I imagine the springs will be stiffer and dampers suppler.

In theory, given the way the nivomats work it will be less ride height and more ride stability, I.e if you lod very heavy the nivomat will remain usual height where non novo shall drop.

Good luck with the install.

Simmy Jun 14th, 2022 20:38

nivo mat shocks carry abt 20per cent of the weight of the car .you will need the springs aswell. your car will sit abt 4in low at the rear without the correct springs. . ask me how i know i also tried what you are thinking on an 850 it made the car look like a speed boat