Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   300/66 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   B200K Temperature Sensor Wiring (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=314076)

Joseph Martin Feb 7th, 2021 00:38

B200K Temperature Sensor Wiring

Shortly before taking my car off the road before its MoT expiring in late November I noticed that my temperature gauge had dropped to 'cold' and the red coolant warning light was on. The car showed no signs of overheating and no loss of coolant, cold hoses or cold air through the vents. I thought this would be the coolant temperature sensor below no. 2 cylinder on the intake manifold side, so I ordered one up. Only when I went to fit it today did I discover that a) I've ordered the wrong one as the one on my car is a spade connector, and b) the wiring itself was actually disconnected and the end of the plug was broken, likely due to the heat exposure and 33 year old plastic. It seemed a bit of a 'stretch' to the coolant temp sensor but it wouldn't plug back in anyway due to it being broken. Do I stand a chance of getting one of these to replace it? And if so, where would it plug in at the other end? A Scottish winter day today meant I didn't spend too long under the bonnet to investigate. Thanks in advance.

360beast Feb 7th, 2021 08:13

Have you got a photo? I can't picture what you're saying properly.

Joseph Martin Feb 7th, 2021 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by 360beast (Post 2707603)

I'll try and get one today, it's rather buried under the inlet manifold but will see what I can do!

Joseph Martin Feb 10th, 2021 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by 360beast (Post 2707603)

Been trying to upload the pic last night but to no success, I may try another way but a pic is coming!

Laird Scooby Feb 11th, 2021 00:27

I think he's looking for the wiring colour code for the temp guage sensor Luke, sounds like the sensor he ordered was the ECU sensor for EFi models and not the guage one.

Joseph Martin Feb 11th, 2021 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2708900)
I think he's looking for the wiring colour code for the temp guage sensor Luke, sounds like the sensor he ordered was the ECU sensor for EFi models and not the guage one.

Ah I see, sounds like I have the wrong sensor then.

If anyone wants an EFI sensor then let me know!

Laird Scooby Feb 11th, 2021 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Martin (Post 2708988)
Ah I see, sounds like I have the wrong sensor then.

If anyone wants an EFI sensor then let me know!

What's the make and part number of the sensor you've got? Also which car/year/fueling is it?

Joseph Martin Feb 11th, 2021 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2709001)
What's the make and part number of the sensor you've got? Also which car/year/fueling is it?

I'll check the invoice for the part number etc, the pin is definitely different to the one on my car. My car is a 1988 360 GLE with the B200K, and it's the incorrect part. As I say, the wiring on my car is knackered it seems, so the sensor may be fine. Sensor I bought has a blue electrical connector at the end.

Thanks,

Joseph

Laird Scooby Feb 11th, 2021 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Martin (Post 2709014)
I'll check the invoice for the part number etc, the pin is definitely different to the one on my car. My car is a 1988 360 GLE with the B200K, and it's the incorrect part. As I say, the wiring on my car is knackered it seems, so the sensor may be fine. Sensor I bought has a blue electrical connector at the end.

Thanks,

Joseph

That's the carb engine then? Is there only one terminal on the sensor you bought? Can you put a photo of the strange blue connector up?

Laird Scooby Oct 23rd, 2021 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by broodieMoha (Post 2779400)
How about putting this wire in one branch of a Wheatstone bridge? The resistance of the wire depends on its temperature so you can balance the bridge at 120C.

At room temperature this wire will have a resistance of approx 0.1 Ohm. At 120C it will be around 0.14 Ohm.

What you say is correct but given the ECU temp sensor is 2500 +/-12% at 20C, 0.04 Ohms difference in the wires to/from it won't make a significant amount of difference. Even at 80C it's in the order of 290-364 Ohms so again, 0.04 Ohms won't make any real difference.

Simple fact is the supplied sensor was for the engine management ECUs, it should have been for the instrument in the dash which uses a different sensor.

Also the broken wiring to the gauge sensor would give exactly the symptoms the OP described.