Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   MY22 order cancelled (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=323088)

Obz331 Jan 26th, 2022 17:19

MY22 order cancelled

Well, after placing my order through our Fleet management team on 15th Nov for a V60 Recharge and getting confirmation of the order placed with Volvo I've now been informed, 3 months later that there are no longer any build slots for MY22. Instead I have to re-order a MY23 instead so it will be the Plus Dark edition and hopefully I can go for the part leather along with the dark roof lining (our fleet guys are very strict on ordering options, even no cost ones)
On the plus side I now get 19" wheels along with heated steering wheel, two options I would have added if I could. I have reservation on the Google infotainment but we'll see how that pans out.
Current expected delivery is July/August

distantvoice May 3rd, 2022 14:23

Order Cancelled

So I placed my XC40 order in October. I have had a few updates pushing it back a couple of weeks. Its due in three weeks. Today I got the call- its cancelled!

Second-hand a year old, if I could find the same spec, would cost £5000 more. Volvo are offering a token discount off the new model. The new model has inferior specs to mine and will cost a few thousand more, which I don't have.

Where do I stand? I contracted with Volvo. They took my deposit and have at the last minute failed to honour our contract. They are still in business and still making cars so this is a business decision.

If I want to but the 2022/2023 model I will have to pay considerably more and there is no guarantee that I won't go to the back of the queue.

Morally they should provide a similar spec car for the same price, morally for a bit less, as it won't be what they contracted to supply. Is there a legal requirement though? I feel as if there should be, in contract law.

Rocinante May 3rd, 2022 15:58

I would think it would entirely depend on the contract, and the stipulations therein for cancelation by either party. A contract could have written that either party can cancel with no notice, or that it could be heavy fines are imposed for cancelling, or anywhere in-between.

However, even if the contract is not in your favour, you may be able to push Volvo for some more goodwill.

Dohnut May 3rd, 2022 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by distantvoice (Post 2822421)
So I placed my XC40 order in October. I have had a few updates pushing it back a couple of weeks. Its due in three weeks. Today I got the call- its cancelled!

Why? What reason did they give?

techwatcher May 3rd, 2022 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by distantvoice (Post 2822421)

Where do I stand? I contracted with Volvo. They took my deposit and have at the last minute failed to honour our contract. They are still in business and still making cars so this is a business decision.

Morally they should provide a similar spec car for the same price, morally for a bit less, as it won't be what they contracted to supply. Is there a legal requirement though? I feel as if there should be, in contract law.

Unfortunately business tends to trump morals in circumstances like these.

I reviewed Volvo's Terms and Conditions of Sales from when we bought our last car. Essentially Volvo can cancel the agreement in certain circumstances. If they do they will return your deposit and 'shall have no further liability to you'.

So it seems that there is no legal requirement for Volvo to provide a similar spec car for the same price.

I would ask for a bit more goodwill from them.

distantvoice May 4th, 2022 08:33

No reason given. Called Volvo Uk and they asked me to call the dealer as it was a 'dealer issue'. The dealer seemed genuine enough. They wanted to sell a number of cars that had just been cancelled on them and had only just been told by Volvo.

Dohnut May 4th, 2022 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by distantvoice (Post 2822520)
No reason given. Called Volvo Uk and they asked me to call the dealer as it was a 'dealer issue'. The dealer seemed genuine enough. They wanted to sell a number of cars that had just been cancelled on them and had only just been told by Volvo.

I would certainly push your dealer for a reason. Something has clearly gone wrong here and "dealer issue" reads like Volvo UK think the issue lies with them.

Rocinante May 4th, 2022 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dohnut (Post 2822529)
I would certainly push your dealer for a reason. Something has clearly gone wrong here and "dealer issue" reads like Volvo UK think the issue lies with them.

They actually seem to be pointing the finger at each other, VolvoUK are saying "dealer issue", and the dealer are saying Volvo cancelled the order, or are Volvo trying to say they cancelled the order because of something the dealer did.

I don't supposed it matters which, if you're contract allows them to do so. All you can hope to do is raise the matter up the chain and hope customer service wins out, but with such long wait lists for cars, I'm not sure how desperate the car companies are for sales at the minute.

distantvoice May 4th, 2022 20:11

I believe the dealer. The salesman told me he had the whole day ahead of him repeating the news he gave to me. Volvo have just cut out a month or so of waiting orders and offered to sell a new spec at a much inflated price. Its almost unbelievable. Volvo just say that the contract is with the dealer and that I need to liaise with them. They have no information from Volvo. Its just an exercise to increase revenue in a difficult market. Commitment and brand reputation seem to have gone out of the window

amdvol May 4th, 2022 20:11

Volvo cacelling

My local dealer told me that Volvo UK cancelled 20+ new car orders with them last week, advised customers to opt for MY23 and reorder at the back of the queue despite some orders being five months old.
There have been numerous people on Facebook forums stating the same cancelled orders.
It appears anyone who placed an order from mid October which was I believe for a MY22.5 until the MY23 orders started have had them cancelled by Volvo. It’s the dealers responsibility to then inform the customer and take the backlash.

DoaM May 4th, 2022 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by amdvol (Post 2822666)
My local dealer told me that Volvo UK cancelled 20+ new car orders with them last week, advised customers to opt for MY23 and reorder at the back of the queue despite some orders being five months old.
There have been numerous people on Facebook forums stating the same cancelled orders.
It appears anyone who placed an order from mid October which was I believe for a MY22.5 until the MY23 orders started have had them cancelled by Volvo. It’s the dealers responsibility to then inform the customer and take the backlash.

I haven't had any such notification yet - and mine was ordered in October, albeit my order may have been early October. I know my colleague tried to order his a week or so later and the original model was no longer available so he had to select a MY23 version.

(Company cars so options are limited).

Volvoscot May 4th, 2022 21:35

Cancelled orders

I was told today that all model year 22 car orders for Hybrid cars have had to be cancelled because they cannot get the correct components to make these cars. The factories are now lined up to start MY 23 cars and these will start production in July. I ordered a car in February which will be a MY23 car and is scheduled for delivery around October. The price and discount i received will still be honoured on this order. The person did add that there is no guarantee on this delivery time.

RB1992 May 4th, 2022 21:41

I am actually surprised some dealers are only notifying customers now. My V60 was ordered in November and got the 'cancel or accept MY2023' call in January.

It's old news by now and if your dealer is informing you now, that means your dealer simply doesn't care. They have known about it for a long time now.

Dohnut May 4th, 2022 21:51

I was informed 20th April my 30th October order had been scheduled for build 27th April and was due at the dealer 13th May.

I’ve Not heard anything since.

smithsc May 5th, 2022 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvoscot (Post 2822687)
I was told today that all model year 22 car orders for Hybrid cars have had to be cancelled because they cannot get the correct components to make these cars. The factories are now lined up to start MY 23 cars and these will start production in July. I ordered a car in February which will be a MY23 car and is scheduled for delivery around October. The price and discount i received will still be honoured on this order. The person did add that there is no guarantee on this delivery time.

How is this right as on the MY23 the drivetrain is exactly the same so if they can't get the components for the MY22 they can't get them for the MY23?

I ordered mine beginning of Oct, having read this i've spoke to my dealer who HAVE had to phone and cancel some orders but mine so far hasn't been one so fingers crossed

distantvoice May 5th, 2022 11:04

You may be the last through the door but call now. Mine was due next week and was cancelled yesterday. Option given was to pay a lot more and go to back of queue...that was it

distantvoice May 5th, 2022 11:09

The new specs have all of the attributes of my R design, but the menu has shifted between models. I have legal expenses through my house insurance to £50,000 so have nothing to lose by starting an action. There is a clause for the dealer if the car isn't available, but Volvo are still making XC40s with all of the attributes of my car but in a higher model, so I believe there is a flaw in their contract defence. I could still be supplied if Volvo chose to. I can point a barrister at them at no cost to me so shall. Never bought Volvo before and just never considered they would treat customers with complete disdain, its not the brand image they put out

Dohnut May 5th, 2022 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by distantvoice (Post 2822747)
The new specs have all of the attributes of my R design, but the menu has shifted between models. I have legal expenses through my house insurance to £50,000 so have nothing to lose by starting an action. There is a clause for the dealer if the car isn't available, but Volvo are still making XC40s with all of the attributes of my car but in a higher model, so I believe there is a flaw in their contract defence. I could still be supplied if Volvo chose to. I can point a barrister at them at no cost to me so shall. Never bought Volvo before and just never considered they would treat customers with complete disdain, its not the brand image they put out

Good to hear you are challenging this and remember to keep this thread updated. Might be helpful to others in a similar position.

smithsc May 5th, 2022 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dohnut (Post 2822750)
Good to hear you are challenging this and remember to keep this thread updated. Might be helpful to others in a similar position.

Everywhere I've read seems to point to XC40's and C40's being cancelled hopefully ours will come as I remember yours is coming soon

smithsc May 6th, 2022 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by distantvoice (Post 2822746)
You may be the last through the door but call now. Mine was due next week and was cancelled yesterday. Option given was to pay a lot more and go to back of queue...that was it

What did you order? seems strange yours was due next week and just cancelled surely they knew 3-4 weeks ago when it hadn't been built and put on a transporter?

distantvoice May 9th, 2022 10:25

XC40 R design T4 with Karman and climate pack. Just about to order the new Qashqai. £12k cheaper, has more toys, Bose, head up display, autoparking etc, with me in 5 months. I liked the look of the Volvo but sometimes when you are treated so poorly it grates giving your money to a supplier , especially when they want even more of it. Also if there are any issues downtrack, its clear that Volvo will make the customer pick up the collateral damage, so there it would be folly I believe to trust any delivery forecasts.

Rocinante May 9th, 2022 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by distantvoice (Post 2823337)
XC40 R design T4 with Karman and climate pack. Just about to order the new Qashqai. £12k cheaper, has more toys, Bose, head up display, autoparking etc, with me in 5 months. I liked the look of the Volvo but sometimes when you are treated so poorly it grates giving your money to a supplier , especially when they want even more of it. Also if there are any issues downtrack, its clear that Volvo will make the customer pick up the collateral damage, so there it would be folly I believe to trust any delivery forecasts.

If you're ordering a Quashqui, and no longer interested in purchasing a Volvo, are you still proceeding with the legal case ?
Presumably, if you won, you would be entitled to either your losses, which you won't have incurred, as they have returned your deposit, and you aren't buying a newer spec Volvo, at an inflated cost, or Volvo would be forced to fulfil your original contract, which it sounds like you no longer want.

distantvoice May 10th, 2022 12:05

I have taken the pragmatic/stress free option. Fallen out of love with the Volvo brand, who as it happens still haven't returned my deposit. Next time I see those trusty adverts with wise old men with gravelly voices, my mind will instead think Micky Pearce in disguise. For me, the price increases in a looming recession make the XC40 very overpriced, as good as it is.

Mick JS Jun 1st, 2022 13:45

XC90 cancelled

Ordered Oct 21, xc90 Inscription Pro, to replace my V90. Ticked all boxes for every extra. Paid dealer deposit. In February was given a build of early May and delivery of 26th May.
Emailed dealer week before delivery to ask for invoice so it could be paid ready for collection. Rang me back 10 mins later to say the car is cancelled, nothing they can do. They still have my deposit and ignoring my emails.
What makes them think they can retain my business after such poor customer relations, I've still to get my deposit returned

Giles11 Jun 1st, 2022 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick JS (Post 2827116)
Ordered Oct 21, xc90 Inscription Pro, to replace my V90. Ticked all boxes for every extra. Paid dealer deposit. In February was given a build of early May and delivery of 26th May.
Emailed dealer week before delivery to ask for invoice so it could be paid ready for collection. Rang me back 10 mins later to say the car is cancelled, nothing they can do. They still have my deposit and ignoring my emails.
What makes them think they can retain my business after such poor customer relations, I've still to get my deposit returned

This is shocking service. Assuming your deposit is no more than 10k I would start a claim in the small claims court.

TaffyJerseyBean Jun 1st, 2022 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick JS (Post 2827116)

Volvo dealers are having a torrid time of it at the moment as 1) they get no warning from Volvo themselves until an order is physically cancelled by the factory, 2) this is happening a lot right now and 3) its left to the salesperson to share the news neither they nor the customer want to hear so be mindful of the grief they are experiencing left, right and centre when complaining to them. The cancellation really isn't their fault.

Having said that, how they choose to deal with the matter is down to them and its not good if they are not returning your mails. Volvo have failed to honour the contract of sale brokered by your dealer and you are entitled to your deposit back.

I would call and ask to speak to the sales manager or dealer principal. Offer to stay on hold until they are free or give them an hour to call back. Also, open a complaint with Volvo UK. You could mention you will take your case to the motoring or consumer press if your mails continue to go unanswered.

With regards refunds, depending on the method of payment and which clearing company the dealer uses it can take anything from 3 to 10 working days to appear back on your credit card or bank account. If you paid by credit card you could also open a case with the card company if you don't get anywhere.

Good luck!

DoaM Jun 1st, 2022 15:42

Looks like my order has been cancelled by Volvo UK. 🙄

(Mine's a new company car, so no deposit paid by me).

smithsc Jun 1st, 2022 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoaM (Post 2827134)
Looks like my order has been cancelled by Volvo UK. 🙄

(Mine's a new company car, so no deposit paid by me).

Oh god all these cancellations, I had an email from my dealer yesterday to say my S60 PE is due to be built next week... Hopefully it will still get built!

Tony H Jun 2nd, 2022 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by distantvoice (Post 2823520)
For me, the price increases in a looming recession make the XC40 very overpriced, as good as it is.

The XC40 has been overpriced from day one - to say it was supposed to be a replacement for the V40. Having a starting price circa 10k more than the V40 was just silly.

Then when it came to the electric C40 I can't fathom how they priced it higher than a Polestar 2 even though they are essentially the same vehicle (and the Polestar had more toys as well)

smithsc Jun 29th, 2022 16:37

Had a phone call from my dealer this week to say my MY22 S60 PE has a VIN number and will be completed this week :)

I just have to wait the 7 or so weeks for it to come from America now

SnineT Jun 30th, 2022 12:46

The thing is with all cars right now is the chains are broken, a lot of the materials are born where there's currently war, you have round 3 of covid to come later this year in addition to the school yard mentality sanctions that are being placed tit fer tat without any real thought,

If I'm reading it right the lack of a new car will be the least of our worries come October, I hope I'm wrong but I don't see things improving any time soon tbh,

To justify that whenever there's a break in things it takes 3x as long to get back to where you were prior, we currently have a 2.5 year hole and increasing right now so as I said I don't expect normal to return if the crazy world stops today for another 3-5 years,

Those that get their order through ok will be the lucky ones and those being shifted up a year expect that to carry on as you wait, if it's as bad as I think it is some of you who ordered a MY22 and didn't get it will end up with a MY25 by the time the dust settles,

I notice some have dropped their order (I would've as well) and ordered a Nissan, I've seen nothing good about that brand since Renault took them over, having worked for them when they were Datsun they were a really good brand whose product kept getting better, having worked also for Renault theirs never was nor will be any good, for those thinking Q named model I would first go see if I could score a Rav 4 instead myself.