Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   S60 D3 2011 losing power (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319379)

wusta Aug 21st, 2021 11:46

S60 D3 2011 losing power

Hi everyone new to the forum and seeking advice. Had the car about 4 months and done around 4k miles recently when driving(around town in all instances) the car suddenly loses all power and all dash lights come on.
On pulling over and attempting to restart the engine will crank fine but refuse to start. However if I turn off the engine remove the fob lock and unlock the doors it starts first time and off I go. I have tried bumping it when coasting along but it refuses to start

It has done this once a week for the last 3 weeks

My assumption is that it is a fuel supply problem but what is causing it?

TIA

Deck1ng Aug 21st, 2021 12:17

It sounds more an electrical fault than fuel. Any warning lights?

wusta Aug 21st, 2021 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deck1ng (Post 2764167)
It sounds more an electrical fault than fuel. Any warning lights?

no not once i restart it. When I attempt a restart without locking unlocking doors every light on the dash is on

Max2ksr Aug 21st, 2021 18:59

By "power" do you mean propulsive power, or electrical power to the car?
Have you noticed it anything triggers it - weather, driving style, turning a corner, accelerating/decelerating?

wusta Aug 21st, 2021 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max2ksr (Post 2764276)
By "power" do you mean propulsive power, or electrical power to the car?
Have you noticed it anything triggers it - weather, driving style, turning a corner, accelerating/decelerating?

i mean propulsive power, no throtle respose at all engine is dead and i have to coast to a stop and go through the 'reboot' procedure
Nothing at all specific about when it happens iirc always on a straight

Max2ksr Aug 21st, 2021 19:24

Interesting then. Does it happen only when the engine is warm? Or after you've been driving it for a certain period of time? What about weather -only in the wet?

wusta Aug 21st, 2021 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max2ksr (Post 2764284)
Interesting then. Does it happen only when the engine is warm? Or after you've been driving it for a certain period of time? What about weather -only in the wet?

no pattern at all(if it were only so simple) on the way to work x1 on the way back x2 no rain on any ocaision. Hasnt happened at speed always between 20 and 30 mph in town

Max2ksr Aug 21st, 2021 19:56

Thanks for answering the questions - sorry if they seemed a bit simple or silly. I've found that sometimes the cause can be something as innocuous as a loose wire that is only affected when it's at a certain temperature, or when the air flow affects it in a certain way.

As for your issue, it sounds definitely electrical, and possibly a wire or lose contact that's only affected in specific circumstances. Other than that, I'm at a loss, sorry.

Deck1ng Aug 21st, 2021 19:57

I read it that, as all dash lights where on immediately after the event, it was the engine cutting out without switching off.

wusta Aug 21st, 2021 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max2ksr (Post 2764293)
Thanks for answering the questions - sorry if they seemed a bit simple or silly. I've found that sometimes the cause can be something as innocuous as a loose wire that is only affected when it's at a certain temperature, or when the air flow affects it in a certain way.

As for your issue, it sounds definitely electrical, and possibly a wire or lose contact that's only affected in specific circumstances. Other than that, I'm at a loss, sorry.

not simple or silly Ive asked them myself