Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   940 spark plug gap (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=37143)

bgmtel May 13th, 2007 13:36

940 spark plug gap

Hi,this is my first post.I have a 1996 940 classic estate which I have had for three months,and has done 70,000 miles.I am going to change the spark plugs and was hoping someone could tell me the gap on them and what are the best ones to use.The engine is a B230FK.Thanks in advance.
Brian

CTCNetwork May 13th, 2007 13:44

Hi,

Most spark plugs are pre gapped.
From memory, the gap on my 940 was .7
But you should be able to happily fit new plugs without setting the gap..

BTW: Welcome to the forums and enjoy your time here..
Look after that 940, won't you.. :)

Des. . . ;)

lee enfield May 13th, 2007 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTCNetwork (Post 237989)
Hi,

Most spark plugs are pre gapped.
From memory, the gap on my 940 was .7
But you should be able to happily fit new plugs without setting the gap..

Des. . . ;)

I would cough up and buy a haynes manual it wont break the bank, dont fit the plugs without gapping them, its pointless ,they need to be right, when you do fit them put a smear of never seez or similar on the threads, and torque them to 25nm, no more

baggy798 May 13th, 2007 14:11

I would recommend either NGK BPR6ES or BP7ES. The 'R' stands for resistor but if you have got good HT leads you probably won't need them.

You can gap them if you wish, but the tool is an extra fiver. Having said that, ones that I have purchased have not been out by a vast margin. (we are talking 0.1-2mm - certainly nothing that would make ANY difference)

Don't grease the threads.

EDIT: CTC is right - factory gap is 0.7mm

lee enfield May 13th, 2007 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggy798 (Post 237997)
I would recommend either NGK BPR6ES or BP7ES. The 'R' stands for resistor but if you have got good HT leads you probably won't need them.

You can gap them if you wish, but the tool is an extra fiver. Having said that, ones that I have purchased have not been out by a vast margin. (we are talking 0.1-2mm - certainly nothing that would make ANY difference)

no dont grease them, use a touch of anti seize compound ,you dont need a tool to gap them use a set of feeler gauges

baggy798 May 13th, 2007 14:23

Yeah, you can also use feeler gauges - although I think they're the same price from Halfrauds.

Wouldn't applying anti-seize change the torque factor?

Either way, the NGK's have a crush-washer, so when the plug touches the cylinder head I turn it another 1/2 to 3/4 turn.

CTCNetwork May 13th, 2007 14:30

Hi,

I usually us NGK Copper core plugs.

Some plugs now come with multiple electrodes. Thats 2 or 3 of them.
What the position is regarding gapping them I don't know but a feeler used with a 3 electrode plug is a lost cause.. :)

Des. . . ;)

CTCNetwork May 13th, 2007 14:37

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by baggy798 (Post 237997)

EDIT: CTC is right - factory gap is 0.7mm

Phew.. My memory isn't completely **** then!!! :lol:

And no, I have never applied either greese or copper ease etc to the plug thread.
The dry connection keept the plug in place, and correctly torqued should not be an issue for removal..

Des. . . ;)

lee enfield May 13th, 2007 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggy798 (Post 238007)
Yeah, you can also use feeler gauges - although I think they're the same price from Halfrauds.

Wouldn't applying anti-seize change the torque factor?

Either way, the NGK's have a crush-washer, so when the plug touches the cylinder head I turn it another 1/2 to 3/4 turn.

For all intents and puposes it wont matter, however it may well matter when 30k miles down the line the anti seize has prevented disimiliar metal corrosion from making removal a nightmare .

CTCNetwork May 13th, 2007 15:01

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by lee enfield (Post 238022)
For all intents and puposes it wont matter, however it may well matter when 30k miles down the line the anti seize has prevented disimiliar metal corrosion from making removal a nightmare .

Simple: Change them at 20K... :D

Des. . . ;)