Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   General: £4k 1999 t5 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315808)

Jamesdc Apr 5th, 2021 22:07

£4k 1999 t5

Seen this on the bay...

£4K, 213k. Seems very well looked after given the history files - previously owned by a couple forum members and LPG converted which is cool.

A good buy? How much would you pay?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-Volv....m46890.l49286

XC90Mk1 Apr 5th, 2021 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesdc (Post 2725932)
Seen this on the bay...

£4K, 213k. Seems very well looked after given the history files - previously owned by a couple forum members and LPG converted which is cool.

It sure looks lovely but with those miles 4K is not a bargain. I would be looking at 2.5K max. Absolute max.

T5R92011 Apr 5th, 2021 22:33

I'd be wanting C70 jewel headlamps fitting to that for a 4k price tag.

Fitted some to my V70 recently. Was genuinely amazed at how bright they are and the span of light produced. Best OEM halogen headlights I've had in any car.

Jamesdc Apr 5th, 2021 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2725937)
It sure looks lovely but with those miles 4K is not a bargain. I would be looking at 2.5K max. Absolute max.

Do you reckon it’s got much more life in it? I quite fancy one on lpg! If the PCV is in good health and the common ABS, steering rack, suspension knocks and turbo have been done the motor should be good for a good few more miles with the service history?

I do agree though - £4k is too steep.

Jamesdc Apr 5th, 2021 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by T5R92011 (Post 2725946)
I'd be wanting C70 jewel headlamps fitting to that for a 4k price tag.

Fitted some to my V70 recently. Was genuinely amazed at how bright they are and the span of light produced. Best OEM halogen headlights I've had in any car.

Ever tried the aftermarket projector type ones? I have them in my v70, wonder how they compare...

griston64 Apr 5th, 2021 22:48

Quote:

Seen this on the bay...

I could be wrong but I think it sold on here a couple of years ago for £500:shocked:

Jamesdc Apr 5th, 2021 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2725954)
I could be wrong but I think it sold on here a couple of years ago for £500:shocked:

I think so too... with a bunch of spares. It’s had some work done since I believe but surely can’t be worth 8 times that :shocked:

griston64 Apr 5th, 2021 22:55

I found it but I don't know how to do the link thing. It was sold in Jan 2020 for £500. It only had 204k then:shocked:

Jamesdc Apr 5th, 2021 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2725957)
I found it but I don't know how to do the link thing. It was sold in Jan 2020 for £500. It only had 204k then:shocked:

Oof. To be fair, £500 was probably cheaper than it should have been?

griston64 Apr 5th, 2021 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesdc (Post 2725959)
Oof. To be fair, £500 was probably cheaper than it should have been?

Started at £950 but had no interest. That was probably about right though.

Think it was up for sale towards the end of last year or beginning of this year at £3k

Jamesdc Apr 5th, 2021 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2725963)
Started at £950 but had no interest. That was probably about right though.

Think it was up for sale towards the end of last year or beginning of this year at £3k

Yeah just looked. Guy selling it now isn’t the same guy. Fella who bought it for £500 and sold it for ~£3k must be laughing...

Annoying thing is I still want to own it :shocked:

Talk me down!!

XC90Mk1 Apr 6th, 2021 03:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesdc (Post 2725949)
Do you reckon it’s got much more life in it? I quite fancy one on lpg! If the PCV is in good health and the common ABS, steering rack, suspension knocks and turbo have been done the motor should be good for a good few more miles with the service history?

I do agree though - £4k is too steep.

If you are a very good competent mechanic then yes it will have a lot of life left potentially. Things like bore wear are now largely things of the past. But at that milage (and lower - I talk as someone running cars to 140-160k) you will now need to budget wheel bearings, bush’s throughout, Idlers, altenators and such like. All these rotating masses and perishables will be at end of life.

A new set of bearings for some cars (don’t know on the Volvo) are 40 per side or less. And the bushes are not too costly either.

If you are not a very competent home mechanic then I personally would budget a regular flow of £300 as the garages will change these £40 parts but will want a couple of hours labour.

I also think it’s well wel overpriced and will sit unsold for some time.

griston64 Apr 6th, 2021 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesdc (Post 2725977)
Yeah just looked. Guy selling it now isn’t the same guy. Fella who bought it for £500 and sold it for ~£3k must be laughing...

Talk me down!!

Not sure if it sold for 3k before this one as it was removed from sale.

It's a nice looking car but it's not worth £4k.

ITSv40 Apr 6th, 2021 16:38

A T5 with a Pistonheads sticker on the boot - time to walk away.

XCR Apr 6th, 2021 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITSv40 (Post 2726179)
A T5 with a Pistonheads sticker on the boot - time to walk away.

Get a grip.

Jamesdc Apr 6th, 2021 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR (Post 2726213)
Get a grip.

You owned this lovely barge before, didn't you? Is she worth a punt nearer to 3k? Appreciate you don't own it now but I know you did some work on it during your ownership.

Mkengineering Apr 7th, 2021 19:24

James

Walk away from it. Unless your can get it for 1k or under then possibly. But that car isnt worth 4k! No where near that.

I believe another member on here was looking at this same car aswell.

But for the money you can find alot better.

XCR Apr 7th, 2021 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mkengineering (Post 2726642)
James

Walk away from it. Unless your can get it for 1k or under then possibly. But that car isnt worth 4k! No where near that.

I believe another member on here was looking at this same car aswell.

But for the money you can find alot better.

You'll not be a fan of this then ?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...c-f160b55fae40

Mkengineering Apr 8th, 2021 02:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR (Post 2726751)

Yes you're right I dont like that at all.

I genuinely think people have lost the plot with pricing cars. For 5k there are plenty of decent cars that can be had.

I myself ( as you already know) wouldn't even consider paying that. Rather buy myself a hot hatch like a clio 182 or a ep3 type r ect.

This is just my opinion and I very well know that the majority of volvo lads will burn me alive for saying that, but honestly for 5k I wouldnt even consider that.

XC90Mk1 Apr 8th, 2021 07:28

The thing that astonishes me with all these vehicles is that they just do not sell, they don’t.

As always the saying is a car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. If someone wants to pay £8,000 for a 1994 Volvo 960 then clearly the seller will ask it and good luck to him.

However I see the same vehicles online that were online at lockdown a year ago plus! It’s crazy.

4x4 Apr 8th, 2021 07:45

On the subject of expensive 850s what about this? CLICK

Gonzobard Apr 8th, 2021 09:17

Whilst virtually everyone who views that car thinks it is expensive it only takes one person to think it is reasonable and buy it. Dealers who ask ‘top dollar’ understand cars such as these will take time to sell, they are obviously happy to sit on them for long periods of time. If they wanted a quick sale they would price accordingly. Their choice.

XCR Apr 8th, 2021 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2726768)
The thing that astonishes me with all these vehicles is that they just do not sell, they don’t.

Erm, they do. I sold it in January.
Within 6 hours of the ad going live I had six VERY interested parties.
Unseen, and on the strength of one phone call the guy transferred the agreed sum into my account.
You see just how wrong you can be ?
The thing that astonishes me is the sweeping generalisations and negative attitudes on this forum.

XC90Mk1 Apr 8th, 2021 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR (Post 2726826)
Erm, they do. I sold it in January.
Within 6 hours of the ad going live I had six VERY interested parties.
Unseen, and on the strength of one phone call the guy transferred the agreed sum into my account.
You see just how wrong you can be ?
The thing that astonishes me is the sweeping generalisations and negative attitudes on this forum.

You sold the brown v90 at £4,995 is that right?

Interesting to hear, perhaps I am out of touch yes. 🙂

DSK Apr 8th, 2021 11:26

To be honest, for that sort of money and a little more, I'd be looking at a R model be it in the form of an 850 or S/V70, with strong history, low owners in nigh on standard form.

JohnM 855 T5R Apr 8th, 2021 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4 (Post 2726772)
On the subject of expensive 850s what about this? CLICK

I'm of the opinion that this will make it's money. £9K for what is essentially a "new" Volvo 850 will strongly appeal to the right sort of collector, irrespective of whether its a 2.5, T5, R, GLT or CD. It's a real automotive rarity. Yes, it might take time to sell but someone out there will want it.

Now, where's me chequebook lol.

John

XCR Apr 8th, 2021 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2726831)
You sold the brown v90 at £4,995 is that right?

Interesting to hear, perhaps I am out of touch yes. 🙂

Nope. Try to keep up at the back.

Mkengineering Apr 8th, 2021 15:22

Everyone should calm down Haha. Its become abit bitchy 😅.

But as mentioned before it all depends on,what the new potential owner would want to pay really.

Obviously everyone knows what I think, that I think its absolutely stupid to pay pay that sort of money. But there are people who are willing to do that.

XCR Apr 8th, 2021 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mkengineering (Post 2726888)
Everyone should calm down Haha. Its become abit bitchy 😅.

But as mentioned before it all depends on,what the new potential owner would want to pay really.

Obviously everyone knows what I think, that I think its absolutely stupid to pay pay that sort of money. But there are people who are willing to do that.

Not a bit.
I'm laughing my head off at some of the expert spouting...and the stating of the bloody obvious....

Its like when you are a bit lost and you stop someone for directions. Never will you get 'nope, sorry, ask someone else' instead you get the village idiot who umms and arr's and gazes at the sky as they have a bash at 'helping you out....'

XC90Mk1 Apr 8th, 2021 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR (Post 2726886)
Nope. Try to keep up at the back.

I don’t actually know what you are talking about? You make no address from the posts as to what you sold.

I am not trying to be ‘funny’ but if you don’t want to tell me what you sold for what then clearly you don’t have to.

I am currently in the market for a 960 and would rather pay a decent price for a decent car than ‘cheap out’ and pay 2k for moon miles. In my opinion some are just a little too high priced.

XC90Mk1 Apr 8th, 2021 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR (Post 2726892)
Not a bit.
I'm laughing my head off at some of the expert spouting...and the stating of the bloody obvious....

Its like when you are a bit lost and you stop someone for directions. Never will you get 'nope, sorry, ask someone else' instead you get the village idiot who umms and arr's and gazes at the sky as they have a bash at 'helping you out....'

If you are a trader you will get a lot further educating people than coming onto the Volvo owners forum and mocking people.

I am open to hearing why a cars background makes it worth something however not from someone that just wants to take the pee.

XCR Apr 8th, 2021 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2726897)
If you are a trader you will get a lot further educating people than coming onto the Volvo owners forum and mocking people.

I am open to hearing why a cars background makes it worth something however not from someone that just wants to take the pee.

1. I'm not.

2. Its hard not to when the hard of thinking espouse their advice.

XC90Mk1 Apr 8th, 2021 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR (Post 2726926)
1. I'm not.

2. Its hard not to when the hard of thinking espouse their advice.

Fair enough,

Let’s agree to disagree and go out own seperate ways 🙂

Best Regards

andrewc1267 Apr 8th, 2021 19:56

Price

Quote:

Seen this on the bay...

I have a 1999 v70r I'm glad that these cars are going up in value they are not exactly the cheapest car to run or maintain I think good ones should be demanding a decent price now the 850s have been going up in value now is the time for the v70

andrewc1267 Apr 8th, 2021 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesdc (Post 2725977)

Talk me down!!

If you like it and are prepared to pay what is asked then buy it and enjoy it

XCR Apr 8th, 2021 20:14

Certainly :) (to XC90 Mk1)

I chatted with the OP yesterday and gave him a frank appraisal of the car I sold.
Hopefully he will buy it and it will receive the same level of excellent care its been accustomed to and it will continue to look and drive beautifully for many years yet...
The alternative for our cars is that they're picked up cheap by some fool who will abuse, neglect and ultimately scrap it...is that really what we want ?
Mine by the way was a genuine reason to sell. An XC70 came up with great spec at a great price...a Christmas bargain ! Unable to keep two big Volvo's and planning to tour Europe with dog/family/bikes etc when this farce is over, I had a difficult decision to make.
The current owner was very keen but as I understand it, has a very good reason to sell. The chap I bought it from owned it for 8 years, spent a very well considered small fortune and is a member here. Only selling to buy a much newer Volvo, he was visibly upset when selling.
It is an excellent car that I would buy back in a heartbeat if circumstances allow. I've requested first refusal in the future if James ultimately buys it...
All of the naysayers here have clearly not had the benefit of the knowledge of this cars extensive maintenance record, so I can appreciate where some of you are coming from.
However, whether some of you like it or not, the value of these cars is gaining traction.

Those with scabby, unloved examples will always wish to pull anyone down knowing theirs have one foot in the grave but, the considerate diligent owner will reap the rewards when time to sell. You know who you are.
Bitterness though is a very destructive emotion.
Lets all try to be a little more supportive and encouraging.

And I didn't buy it for £500 !
;)
I did spend £1500 in the first few weeks of ownership though.

andrewc1267 Apr 8th, 2021 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR (Post 2726998)
Certainly :) (to XC90 Mk1)

I chatted with the OP yesterday and gave him a frank appraisal of the car I sold.
Hopefully he will buy it and it will receive the same level of excellent care its been accustomed to and it will continue to look and drive beautifully for many years yet...
The alternative for our cars is that they're picked up cheap by some fool who will abuse, neglect and ultimately scrap it...is that really what we want ?
Mine by the way was a genuine reason to sell. An XC70 came up with great spec at a great price...a Christmas bargain ! Unable to keep two big Volvo's and planning to tour Europe with dog/family/bikes etc when this farce is over, I had a difficult decision to make.
The current owner was very keen but as I understand it, has a very good reason to sell. The chap I bought it from owned it for 8 years, spent a very well considered small fortune and is a member here. Only selling to buy a much newer Volvo, he was visibly upset when selling.
It is an excellent car that I would buy back in a heartbeat if circumstances allow. I've requested first refusal in the future if James ultimately buys it...
All of the naysayers here have clearly not had the benefit of the knowledge of this cars extensive maintenance record, so I can appreciate where some of you are coming from.
However, whether some of you like it or not, the value of these cars is gaining traction.

Those with scabby, unloved examples will always wish to pull anyone down knowing theirs have one foot in the grave but, the considerate diligent owner will reap the rewards when time to sell. You know who you are.
Bitterness though is a very destructive emotion.
Lets all try to be a little more supportive and encouraging.

And I didn't buy it for £500 !
;)
I did spend £1500 in the first few weeks of ownership though.

Totally agree as in my previous post I think that these cars should be going up in value they are becoming rare for decent ones and they do cost a small fortune to maintain and are not the most economical car you will ever own when I look back at some of the cars I have owned in the past if I still had a couple of them they would pay my mortgage of hopefully as the unloved ones get scrapped the good ones will continue to go up in value

griston64 Apr 8th, 2021 22:23

Still not worth 4k !!

To XCR... If it was a keeper ( as you put it ) in Nov last year, why didn't you keep it ??

Also if the " first offer of £500 takes it " ( as quoted by Jimbob ) why did you pay more ??

Did you spend £1500 just getting the wheels refurbed and painting the bumper ? As the previous owner put the stainless exhaust on it and it already had the LPG system fitted.

Just curious ?????

XCR Apr 8th, 2021 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2727056)
Still not worth 4k !!

To XCR... If it was a keeper ( as you put it ) in Nov last year, why didn't you keep it ??

Also if the " first offer of £500 takes it " ( as quoted by Jimbob ) why did you pay more ??

Did you spend £1500 just getting the wheels refurbed and painting the bumper ? As the previous owner put the stainless exhaust on it and it already had the LPG system fitted.

Just curious ?????

I'm not letting this kind of post go unchallenged, I think you want to wind in your neck buddy.

1. You've evidently not bothered to read a couple of posts back to see why I sold it.
(When you bother to do so, pop back and give us the thumbs up, theres a good lad....)

2. Yes, yes....of course I insisted on giving him more than the asking price !
As you do.
Get real.....
At the time I wasn't responding to James' post when I enquired on the car....I hadn't even read it. I knew nothing of the '£500' (I wish I had :))....I simply went along and offered what I thought it was worth. He accepted. I was happy and so was he. End of.

3. This though....just what are you trying to say here ?
I had discs and pads up front plus both hub bearings. A full bare metal bonnet respray along with the bumper off, repaired and painted. Properly.
A big service, new fog lights...bits...bobs...you know ?
Oh, and four new tyres and the alloys dipped, stripped, X-Rayed and powder coated. Properly. Yup, the LPG and Exhaust was already fitted...what are you implying ?

Perhaps you'll now be man enough to apologise for the rubbish you spouted ???
You are right though, you are more than a little 'curious'.

andrewc1267 Apr 8th, 2021 23:37

I think it's a good thing these are becoming valueble

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2727056)
Still not worth 4k !!

Just curious ?????

I would want at least 4k for my v70r when I come to sell it and it will sell for every penny it is worth and someone will get a great usable reliable classic car that in all models are becoming rare