Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   General: £4k 1999 t5 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315808)

Jamesdc Apr 5th, 2021 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2725963)
Started at £950 but had no interest. That was probably about right though.

Think it was up for sale towards the end of last year or beginning of this year at £3k

Yeah just looked. Guy selling it now isn’t the same guy. Fella who bought it for £500 and sold it for ~£3k must be laughing...

Annoying thing is I still want to own it :shocked:

Talk me down!!

XC90Mk1 Apr 6th, 2021 03:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesdc (Post 2725949)
Do you reckon it’s got much more life in it? I quite fancy one on lpg! If the PCV is in good health and the common ABS, steering rack, suspension knocks and turbo have been done the motor should be good for a good few more miles with the service history?

I do agree though - £4k is too steep.

If you are a very good competent mechanic then yes it will have a lot of life left potentially. Things like bore wear are now largely things of the past. But at that milage (and lower - I talk as someone running cars to 140-160k) you will now need to budget wheel bearings, bush’s throughout, Idlers, altenators and such like. All these rotating masses and perishables will be at end of life.

A new set of bearings for some cars (don’t know on the Volvo) are 40 per side or less. And the bushes are not too costly either.

If you are not a very competent home mechanic then I personally would budget a regular flow of £300 as the garages will change these £40 parts but will want a couple of hours labour.

I also think it’s well wel overpriced and will sit unsold for some time.

griston64 Apr 6th, 2021 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesdc (Post 2725977)
Yeah just looked. Guy selling it now isn’t the same guy. Fella who bought it for £500 and sold it for ~£3k must be laughing...

Annoying thing is I still want to own it :shocked:

Talk me down!!

Not sure if it sold for 3k before this one as it was removed from sale.

It's a nice looking car but it's not worth £4k.

ITSv40 Apr 6th, 2021 16:38

A T5 with a Pistonheads sticker on the boot - time to walk away.

XCR Apr 6th, 2021 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITSv40 (Post 2726179)
A T5 with a Pistonheads sticker on the boot - time to walk away.

Get a grip.

Jamesdc Apr 6th, 2021 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR (Post 2726213)
Get a grip.

You owned this lovely barge before, didn't you? Is she worth a punt nearer to 3k? Appreciate you don't own it now but I know you did some work on it during your ownership.

Mkengineering Apr 7th, 2021 19:24

James

Walk away from it. Unless your can get it for 1k or under then possibly. But that car isnt worth 4k! No where near that.

I believe another member on here was looking at this same car aswell.

But for the money you can find alot better.

XCR Apr 7th, 2021 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mkengineering (Post 2726642)
James

Walk away from it. Unless your can get it for 1k or under then possibly. But that car isnt worth 4k! No where near that.

I believe another member on here was looking at this same car aswell.

But for the money you can find alot better.

You'll not be a fan of this then ?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...c-f160b55fae40

Mkengineering Apr 8th, 2021 02:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR (Post 2726751)

Yes you're right I dont like that at all.

I genuinely think people have lost the plot with pricing cars. For 5k there are plenty of decent cars that can be had.

I myself ( as you already know) wouldn't even consider paying that. Rather buy myself a hot hatch like a clio 182 or a ep3 type r ect.

This is just my opinion and I very well know that the majority of volvo lads will burn me alive for saying that, but honestly for 5k I wouldnt even consider that.

XC90Mk1 Apr 8th, 2021 07:28

The thing that astonishes me with all these vehicles is that they just do not sell, they don’t.

As always the saying is a car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. If someone wants to pay £8,000 for a 1994 Volvo 960 then clearly the seller will ask it and good luck to him.

However I see the same vehicles online that were online at lockdown a year ago plus! It’s crazy.