Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Performance Volvo Cars (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   help needed! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=10942)

17yroldaddict Jan 20th, 2004 20:18

help needed!

as the name suggests i am 17 nearly 18 and have '95 1.8si 440. after reading the funny website about what a boy racer is i am rather worried that i might be slowly turning into one. i would appreciate any help that could be given to ensure that i do not turn into one of those annoying people.

sarge Jan 20th, 2004 21:43

RE: help needed!

For starters, don't overdo the hi-fi bass and only use your front fog lights when it's foggy.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD

Alex T5 Jan 20th, 2004 22:14

I thought inappropriate front fog light useage was reserved for audi/beamer and vectra drivers?

Alex
1996 855 T5

ex boy racer, (now realise how silly I must have looked at times!!)

mraldonnelly Jan 21st, 2004 09:49

"I thought inappropriate front fog light useage was reserved for audi/beamer and vectra drivers?"

I've noticed recently that the majority of foglight misusing bumholes are Clio drivers, followed by Megane drivers.

judgeman Jan 24th, 2004 19:42

1. Put your seatbelt on before you set off
2. When driving, sit back IN your seat, not leaning forward over the stearing wheel
3. Don't fiddle with your stereo every 5 seconds for no good reason
4. Stick to the speed limit (unless you're determined to lose your license, or worse, kill somone. Don't forget it's only 6 points within the first two years to lose your license!)
5. Don't stick a pointless 'Oakley'/'Pioneer'/'Sony'/'JBL!' sticker in the rear window. I did that on my first car (a 340) - it looks pants
6. Remember the car is only a Volvo 440 1.8. It's not a Ferrari - it won't beat much off the lights (I know, I had a 440 1.8Si, then a 440 2.0 SE) it's not bad, but you'll look silly trying to thrash a stealth Nova or company car Vectra driver who doesn't give a s*!t
7. Take your advanced driving test - you can get reduced insurance, and lots of other discounts including 25% off AA. You'll learn how to handle your car and drive PROPERLY. You'll also learn how to get the best out of your cars performance - it may even help you thrash that stealth Nova off the lights...! If your under 25 the lessons and test will only cost you £75 - including a years membership to the Institute of Advanced Motorists
8. Don't paint your wheels gold. They only look good on a Scooby (340 mistake number 2!)
9. Don't strap an old WW2 cannon to the back of your car and plumb it into the exhaust system
10. Go faster stripes don't make the car go any faster. (Santa Clause IS real!)

judgeman Jan 24th, 2004 19:45

1. Put your seatbelt on before you set off
2. When driving, sit back IN your seat, not leaning forward over the stearing wheel
3. Don't fiddle with your stereo every 5 seconds for no good reason
4. Stick to the speed limit (unless you're determined to lose your license, or worse, kill somone. Don't forget it's only 6 points within the first two years to lose your license!)
5. Don't stick a pointless 'Oakley'/'Pioneer'/'Sony'/'JBL!' sticker in the rear window. I did that on my first car (a 340) - it looks pants
6. Remember the car is only a Volvo 440 1.8. It's not a Ferrari - it won't beat much off the lights (I know, I had a 440 1.8Si, then a 440 2.0 SE) it's not bad, but you'll look silly trying to thrash a stealth Nova or company car Vectra driver who doesn't give a s*!t
7. Take your advanced driving test - you can get reduced insurance, and lots of other discounts including 25% off AA. You'll learn how to handle your car and drive PROPERLY. You'll also learn how to get the best out of your cars performance - it may even help you thrash that stealth Nova off the lights...! If your under 25 the lessons and test will only cost you £75 - including a years membership to the Institute of Advanced Motorists
8. Don't paint your wheels gold. They only look good on a Scooby (340 mistake number 2!)
9. Don't strap an old WW2 cannon to the back of your car and plumb it into the exhaust system
10. Go faster stripes don't make the car go any faster. (Santa Clause IS real!)

Chris
'96 854 T5S 129k

Bigbird76 Jan 25th, 2004 22:24

LOL i like that 1 maybee i can salvage a gun off a old WW2 destoyer and plumb it to my exshaust of my S70R

Matt_Watkins Jan 27th, 2004 10:28

And DONT wear a Burburry base ball cap. Thing to do is keep you car's body standard. Forget these huge wings and whatnot. You wont get pulled by the police as much and kids wont want to race you all the time. But if you have a T4/5 then you can have a laugh off the lights with them from time to time. I do just to prove that their Nova 1.1 Club (with dustbin exhaust, K&N, silly wings and big bass) does not have 6000000hp and does not go like the space shuttle off the mark. The only time the get past is once I have reached the speed limit.

I never was a boy racer. I just didnt fancy hanging out in McDonalds carpark with little girlies thinking I was cool because I had a ****e car.

My cousin is the same age as me (23). We have both been driving for the same amount of time (about 5 years). He was a boy racer from day 1. He asked me the other day how I could afford to insure a T5. So I asked him, what cars have you owned? He said 6 Novas (1 GTE), 2 XR2's, 1 Corsa and 1 Astra. Then I asked him, How many cars have you written off racing. He said 9 cars. His insurance on a 1.3 Astra GTE lookalike is £2398.67!!! Where as mine is £846. His next car is going to be a 250bhp Renault 5 GT Turbo so he said. I just laughed.

foggyjames Feb 10th, 2004 19:24

C'mon guys....big bass is allowed, surely?!

cheers

James