Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Replacing the instrument panel with an infocenter type one (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=259778)

ww1dm1 Nov 22nd, 2016 12:20

Replacing the instrument panel with an infocenter type one

1 Attachment(s)
You have to admit that those infocenter instrument panels are pretty cool. How difficult would it be to fit one instead of a regular panel, with the analog temp/fuel gauges? I doubt that it's plug and play, would you need another ECU?

I'm interested in phase 1, by the way.

brent Nov 22nd, 2016 14:41

Edit: oops, wrong info centre :), never mind

boyracer996 Nov 22nd, 2016 15:07

my phase 1 had the info centre, same cluster as the one you have pictured.

I tried to retrofit it to a mates v40 a few months ago but the loom isn't behind the dash so I assume theres more to it!

ITSv40 Nov 22nd, 2016 17:15

You will need an info centre switch from a Ph1 as the Ph2 are different. Also the P1 measures engine coolant temp and engine oil temp. Only the very early engines had an oil temp sender - located on the front of the sump by the dipstick. If you do get it working the oil temp will always read cold if you haven't got the oil temp sender. Cannot be retro fitted as the sumps are different. No big deal - just giving you a heads up. Don't know about the wiring loom and whether it is plug and play or not.

ww1dm1 Nov 22nd, 2016 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by boyracer996 (Post 2199134)
my phase 1 had the info centre, same cluster as the one you have pictured.

I tried to retrofit it to a mates v40 a few months ago but the loom isn't behind the dash so I assume theres more to it!

Which loom are you talking about? The knob switch loom, or are there more than 2 usual connectors for the panel itself?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITSv40 (Post 2199198)
You will need an info centre switch from a Ph1 as the Ph2 are different. Also the P1 measures engine coolant temp and engine oil temp. Only the very early engines had an oil temp sender - located on the front of the sump by the dipstick. If you do get it working the oil temp will always read cold if you haven't got the oil temp sender. Cannot be retro fitted as the sumps are different. No big deal - just giving you a heads up. Don't know about the wiring loom and whether it is plug and play or not.

I noticed that the switches are slightly different, not a problem. What about the later engines - if they don't have the sender, how do they measure the oil temperature? Are there different infocenter panel versions, with and without oil temp?

Clan Nov 22nd, 2016 18:58

I have one or two lowish mileage T4 instrument panels from 1998 with the trip computer .

boyracer996 Nov 24th, 2016 10:35

the knob switch loom isn't there, the cluster itself is capable of displaying the values but only shows miles to empty I think and obv iv no way to scroll through the different options without the knob fitted

ww1dm1 Nov 24th, 2016 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by boyracer996 (Post 2200090)
the knob switch loom isn't there, the cluster itself is capable of displaying the values but only shows miles to empty I think and obv iv no way to scroll through the different options without the knob fitted

Crap. Which year and model of v40 does your mate have?

boyracer996 Nov 25th, 2016 08:48

have a look and see if yours is there taped up behind the cd player, you never know! his is a 2003 ph2 v40.

ww1dm1 Nov 25th, 2016 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by boyracer996 (Post 2200460)
have a look and see if yours is there taped up behind the cd player, you never know! his is a 2003 ph2 v40.

Oh, so it's a P2, there's still hope! P1 models had more options pre-wired, if I recall. For example P1 has seat heater wiring even if there are no heated seats, while P2 doesn't. And they shouldn't need different software to enable the features.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2199287)
I have one or two lowish mileage T4 instrument panels from 1998 with the trip computer .

Thanks for the offer, by the way. I already have a panel and switch from a P1 T4 in my stack of instrument panels that are different from the one that was originally in my car.

The one I have doesn't seem to indicate oil temperature (says DIST instead of OIL, even though it's from a P1), while the one in the first post does.