Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   New engine needed in 2016 XC90 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=320812)

tmschall Oct 22nd, 2021 10:27

New engine needed in 2016 XC90

Hello,

We own a 2016 XC90. Last spring we started noticing that the low oil light was coming on. Slowly over time, the light would come on more frequently. At one point the gasket was replaced, but the problem continued. Recently the car went through some diagnostic testing, and it turns out the issue is related to a piston that needs to be replaced. We were told by the local dealer that the entire engine needs to be replaced for £11000 or $13000. I called Volvo and they did give us a 30% compensation for the work to be done, but this still seems like a ton of money, given that the car is only 5.5 years old. Has anyone gone through a similar experience? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Familyman 90 Oct 22nd, 2021 11:09

Does it have a full dealer history?

Whippy Oct 22nd, 2021 11:19

Seems excessive.

tmschall Oct 22nd, 2021 17:55

New engine needed in 2016 XC90

Quote:

Originally Posted by Familyman 90 (Post 2779098)
Does it have a full dealer history?

We bought it certified pre-owned at 1 year old, so we bought it in 2017. The dealership that has been handling our car has been servicing it since 2019. Prior to that it was another Volvo dealership.

GrahamHR Oct 22nd, 2021 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmschall (Post 2779086)
Hello,

We own a 2016 XC90. Last spring we started noticing that the low oil light was coming on. Slowly over time, the light would come on more frequently. At one point the gasket was replaced, but the problem continued. Recently the car went through some diagnostic testing, and it turns out the issue is related to a piston that needs to be replaced. We were told by the local dealer that the entire engine needs to be replaced for £11000 or $13000. I called Volvo and they did give us a 30% compensation for the work to be done, but this still seems like a ton of money, given that the car is only 5.5 years old. Has anyone gone through a similar experience? Any suggestions? Thanks.

I wouldn't think that a low oil pressure issue would be related to a problem with an engine piston. Low oil pressure could lead to problems with the pistons and bores though ( scraping, scoring etc). Also crank and crank bearings damage.

You wrote some diagnostics had been run; Have they actually checked the actual oil pressure with a manual gauge ?

If not, my first port of call would be to try a new oil pressure sender.

Sotosound Oct 22nd, 2021 18:37

Many, many years ago I had a scary time driving home from work in freezing fog one night after the oil pressure warning light in my car came on permanently.

Being in my early 20s, and being inexperienced about cars and mechanicals, I rang my father from a phone box and he asked me how the engine sounded. I told him that it sounded ok and he said to just drive slowly (which wasn't a problem in freezing fog).

In the end, I made it home ok and it turned out that the oil pressure sensor was faulty while oil pressure was actually fine.

A case of "Believe none of what you see and all of what you hear." :)

Zebster Oct 22nd, 2021 18:47

Oil consumption on early VEA engines is a known problem, caused by the oil control piston rings and associated piston drain holes becoming blocked with soot. Not sure when the eventual improvements were undertaken, but my 2015 model is affected and so does need the odd top-up.

Does your car run ok? Mine runs great and I'd not spend a tenth of what you've been quoted just because it needs 0.5L every 2000 miles or so! Suitable oil is reasonably cheap and I'd trade it in rather than bother getting it fixed...

Whippy Oct 22nd, 2021 19:26

My initial thought is "take it for a second opinion". I don't understand how low oil pressure can be caused be a piston. Piston failure due to low pressure maybe, but the other way round sounds........ tentative.

Zebster Oct 22nd, 2021 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whippy (Post 2779247)
My initial thought is "take it for a second opinion". I don't understand how low oil pressure can be caused be a piston. Piston failure due to low pressure maybe, but the other way round sounds........ tentative.

The OP states 'low oil'. I've read that to mean low oil level, particularly as - like you say - there can be no link between piston failure and oil pressure. Additionally, it's widely reported how VEA engines can sometimes consume engine oil due to piston issues.

Zebster Oct 22nd, 2021 19:58

Duplicate post deleted