Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Hydraulic tappet snake oil (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=310369)

RollingThunder Sep 28th, 2020 16:25

Hydraulic tappet snake oil

After much pulling of hair over the weekend, I have concluded that the noise that I am hearing in my T5 engine is mainly due to the tappets. The correct/best way to rectify that would be to pull the head and clean or replace them, however I really don't want to pull the head unless its for something far more serious!

So, with so many magic cure options out there, has anyone tried any of them, and if so what results did you get?

These seem to be the main contenders -

Wynn’s Hydraulic Valve Lifter Treatment
Liqui Moly Hydraulic Lifter Additive
Forte Top End Treatment
Rislone Engine Treatment & Cleaner
Marvel Mystery Oil

I've also heard of adding ATF to the oil - again, does this actually work?

Dippydog Sep 28th, 2020 20:45

I've used the Wynns one before-although not on a Volvo,but don't see as that'd make a difference-and it was very good,I'd use it again if necessary.

V8XCV Sep 28th, 2020 21:05

Have you tried different grades & types of engine oils? My dad's 2.5NA was quite noisy so topped up with 2L of fully synthetic and magically went silent (probably being 2L down didn't help.....)

sdg1970 Sep 29th, 2020 21:05

When I bought my 70R it had 152k on the clock and the oil hadn't been changed for 9500 miles (I don't care what Volvo say, it should never be more than 5k on these engines!).

The lifters were a little noisy, so I decided to put in thicker oil, with a high zinc content. That amounted to bog standard, 15/40 mineral (non-synthetic) and I change it every 2500 miles without fail. I don't hear a peep from the lifters...

CNGBiFuel Oct 1st, 2020 13:49

1 Attachment(s)
They're all much of a muchness. I use Lucas Oil Stablizer (their Z) in a tired 1960s classic. Do about 4-5000 a year with it, and it works. Is it right, is it a good thing? Nope, and I'm sorry no snake-oil is going to make-up for lack of metal. But it solders on. Be clear, it's a bodge, these snake-oils all do the same thing in the same dubious way. What else did you want us to hear? I can say, Lucas Oil Stablizer does seen to stop oil wobbling, which is good.

Quote:

When I bought my 70R it had 152k on the clock and the oil hadn't been changed for 9500 miles (I don't care what Volvo say, it should never be more than 5k on these engines!).
Respectfully... utter rot: And here's proof... proper oil analysis at 28,000. You're wasting money. The PCV clogs for others reasons I've covered. Get your oil labb'ed and see for yourself. You'll spend less on a lab than you're spending on oil.

reggit Oct 1st, 2020 14:16

I used wynns in my old P2 D5 which was very tappety when I bought it.
Added the cleaner after an oil change and the tappet noise actually increased over a couple of thousand miles before going quiet. I suspect as the gunk was very slowly being flushed out of the tappet (sure it was just one on mine) increasing the gap before the oil way was cleared allowing it to perform properly again.

RollingThunder Oct 1st, 2020 14:23

Thanks everyone.

I've ordered some of the Wynn's stuff for now, just to see if it does make a (marginal) difference. I'm pretty sure my tappet noise is due to the POs lack of servicing - its pretty nasty in that engine, judging by what I can see through the oil filler :( The garage that I bought it off did an oil change before I got it, so I didn't get to see what it was like, but I suspect it was... well overdue!

Hopefully, some decent cleaning agents will break down the sludge and allow the tappets to operate correctly again. I'll report back after I've done a few 1000 miles.

Thanks again

Ninjabob81 Oct 1st, 2020 15:46

As a rule diesel specific engine oils carry a lot more detergent agents in them, might be worth doing an oil change with diesel oil, running it for a few thou then dropping it again.

sdg1970 Oct 1st, 2020 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel (Post 2669459)
They're all much of a muchness. I use Lucas Oil Stablizer (their Z) in a tired 1960s classic. Do about 4-5000 a year with it, and it works. Is it right, is it a good thing? Nope, and I'm sorry no snake-oil is going to make-up for lack of metal. But it solders on.

You're running on CNG as we all know and respect. Equally, it has still proven to be a huge white elephant, but has certainly taken off in the heavy commercial sector. I'll put my 2500 mile change interval against, with mineral running petrol against yours any day. But as I only do 2500 miles a year in that particular car, and am over 50, it's largely irrelevant..

Respectfully... utter rot: And here's proof... proper oil analysis at 28,000. You're wasting money. The PCV clogs for others reasons I've covered. Get your oil labb'ed and see for yourself. You'll spend less on a lab than you're spending on oil.[/QUOTE]

sdg1970 Oct 1st, 2020 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel (Post 2669459)
They're all much of a muchness. I use Lucas Oil Stablizer (their Z) in a tired 1960s classic. Do about 4-5000 a year with it, and it works. Is it right, is it a good thing? Nope, and I'm sorry no snake-oil is going to make-up for lack of metal. But it solders on. Be clear, it's a bodge, these snake-oils all do the same thing in the same dubious way. What else did you want us to hear? I can say, Lucas Oil Stablizer does seen to stop oil wobbling, which is good.

Respectfully... utter rot: And here's proof... proper oil analysis at 28,000. You're wasting money. The PCV clogs for others reasons I've covered. Get your oil labb'ed and see for yourself. You'll spend less on a lab than you're spending on oil.

It proves **** all. Your point being?? 🤷*♂️