Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   XC90 mk2 D5 bearing failure (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338011)

anthv50 Feb 10th, 2024 10:48

XC90 mk2 D5 bearing failure

it sounds like my 2017 XC90 has spun a bearing in the bottom end. It sounds like a tractor on idle, it did go away on power but now I can hear it ticking when driving. I've had the cover off the bottom and it definitely sounds like it's coming from the bottom end.

Car has done 58,000 miles

Has anyone has this on one of these relatively newer engines and any idea on costs (preferably in the UK) to fix it?

Clan Feb 10th, 2024 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthv50 (Post 2935291)
it sounds like my 2017 XC90 has spun a bearing in the bottom end. It sounds like a tractor on idle, it did go away on power but now I can hear it ticking when driving. I've had the cover off the bottom and it definitely sounds like it's coming from the bottom end.

Car has done 58,000 miles

Has anyone has this on one of these relatively newer engines and any idea on costs (preferably in the UK) to fix it?

Have you been changing the 0w/30 oil every 18000 miles ? Are you sure it isn't a loose or faulty injector?

anthv50 Feb 10th, 2024 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2935292)
Have you been changing the 0w/30 oil every 18000 miles ? Are you sure it isn't a loose or faulty injector?

yes, oil changes done as it should have been. Its been less than 18000 miles, more like 10-12,000 since I do it yearly and do less than 18000 per year.

I'm not sure what it is to be honest, like I say I've been under it today and took the dust cover off the bottom too see if i could see anything loose, it sounded like it was coming from the sump which is why I went for bearings.

GrahamBrown1 Feb 10th, 2024 18:31

Could be the balancer unit? Very unusual for shell bearings tho. I’ve seen top end wear such as the cam shaft bearing caps and the balancers gave trouble. Your normally know when big end bearings go. Loss Of oil pressure soon follows.

Clan Feb 11th, 2024 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthv50 (Post 2935294)
yes, oil changes done as it should have been. Its been less than 18000 miles, more like 10-12,000 since I do it yearly and do less than 18000 per year.

I'm not sure what it is to be honest, like I say I've been under it today and took the dust cover off the bottom too see if i could see anything loose, it sounded like it was coming from the sump which is why I went for bearings.

Sorry I thought you had a 5 cylinder for some reason!.. And the oil should be 0w/20 to volvo specification RBS0-2AE
If it IS a bearing the only cause could be oil really, or lack of it.

anthv50 Feb 12th, 2024 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2935427)
Sorry I thought you had a 5 cylinder for some reason!.. And the oil should be 0w/20 to volvo specification RBS0-2AE
If it IS a bearing the only cause could be oil really, or lack of it.

I've had it to a local garage this morning and they said on listening it is 95% one of the aux belt pulleys. He couldn't narrow do to which one and couldn't book it in for a couple of weeks, so he suggested I take the belt off and run it, that would tell me if it is actually that, then it's the issue of narrowing down which one. I'm not sure when I am going to be able to do that with it forecast to rain around here for the next few days

Sotosound Feb 12th, 2024 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthv50 (Post 2935529)
I've had it to a local garage this morning and they said on listening it is 95% one of the aux belt pulleys. He couldn't narrow do to which one and couldn't book it in for a couple of weeks, so he suggested I take the belt off and run it, that would tell me if it is actually that, then it's the issue of narrowing down which one. I'm not sure when I am going to be able to do that with it forecast to rain around here for the next few days

I wouldn't remove a belt on a mechanic's say so. Too risky.

Kev0607 Feb 12th, 2024 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthv50 (Post 2935529)

I wouldn't remove the aux belt. The belt via the pulley's helps other components in the engine work, like the alternator. If you remove it, then that part (or others) aren't going to work.

anthv50 Feb 12th, 2024 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2935583)
I wouldn't remove the aux belt. The belt via the pulley's helps other components in the engine work, like the alternator. If you remove it, then that part (or others) aren't going to work.

Well yes, I know the alternator at least wont work, I presume the air con compressor is ran off it too, maybe a power steering pump too if its not electric. I've replaced aux belts and pulleys before, it's not particularly difficult. I would be taking the belt off, running it for less than a minute to see if the noise has gone, if so I know it's to do with that. If not then it's something else, possibly timing belt related.

Kev0607 Feb 12th, 2024 20:35

That’s fair enough.

The alternator clutch pulley can make a bit of a racket when they start to wear, so can a water pump. I wouldn’t expect the water pump on such a new car though, but you never know.