Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   S80: Engine Lack of power without info (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=326268)

urban60 Jun 29th, 2022 06:52

Lack of power without info

My car goes into "limp" mode (poor acceleration, no turbo) only if I drive really fast and accelerate hard, but the weird part is that it won't show any visual indication - no messages, no red warning light, nothing... As soon as I turn off and turn the car on again, everything goes back to normal. This started to occur now at high outside temperatures (higher 20°C).

Any clues? Could that be a clogged up DPF? But if that's the case I should get some information on the screen?

Volvo s80 2.4D M66 2009 @377.000km
AC on

wendash Jun 29th, 2022 08:44

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the swirl flap arm had detached. I re-fitted it turned over by 180 degrees as the 'lobes' had worn and it has been fine ever since.

urban60 Jun 29th, 2022 08:52

Interesting. I'll take a look at it and come back with the results.

ferg55 Jun 29th, 2022 23:25

I've had the exact same issue for some years. Accompanied by a chuf-chuf sound on lift off of the accelerator. It comes and goes, but in all cases power is restored either after a stop and restart, or overnight. My swirl flap linkage is intact, so not that.

urban60 Jun 30th, 2022 07:22

Yeah so my swirl flap linkage is also intact so no luck here... Any more ideas? ferg55 have you resolved your issue?

Tannaton Jun 30th, 2022 08:26

Can also be the temperature sensor on the CAT or DPF - these sometimes fail intermittently - puts the car into a not well documents restricted power mode with no message or lights but wont rev past around 3,000 rpm. In this case a code will be logged, but Volvo compatible gear will be needed, generic OBD's report it as a vague message (e.g. temperature sensor Bank A).

monkeh Jun 30th, 2022 10:42

I understand your symptom. I'd second swirl flap actuator. May actually be worth giving the EGR a clean too, But turns out the linkage was disconnected because the linkage had jammed up.

The only other thing that hadn't been adressed when I bought the car was the EGR was chockers of soot.

Replacement of flaps (ebay) and an evening scraping powdered goo out of the EGR, stopped that issue outright.

urban60 Jul 1st, 2022 07:49

The other day I didn't have much time to really inspect the swirl flaps arm, but I did have it yesterday and it turns out this really is the case. The other day I only inspect it visually which seamed fine and it was in horizontal position so I assumed it was OK, but yesterday I saw it completely hanging down by the actuator. Assumption really is mother of all fups. Sorry about that and thanks everybody!

wendash Jul 1st, 2022 09:30

Glad you got it sorted.

monkeh Jul 2nd, 2022 18:55

Good news, that. You've got a "how to" to fix them properly, up top.
Or just cable tie it on.