Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   V40: Intermittent errors and warnings - ECU issue? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=336347)

waloob Nov 13th, 2023 13:18

Intermittent errors and warnings - ECU issue?

My 2014 reg v40 has been great for the last 4 years, but a while back I had a few errors come up (pedestrain safety service required) then the power steering stopped working. I was just parking up, and when I came back to the car it was ok. About a month later it happened again, then was ok again.

Since then the warnings have become more varied and frequent, and now they come up every time I use the car. I get every single possible warning, from ABS to low oil, in completely random order and multiple times (i.e. clear the message and it'll come back a few seconds or minutes later).

As well as all this the power steering stops working, indicators also don't work (hazards do), and it's dificult to get into 5th and 6th gear. Presumably this is due to running in engine protection mode (don't know the technical term!)?

I also get other errors relating to the handbrake being on, seatbelts not being fastened and even doors being opened. These cause the 'gong' to sound repeatedly, but this is also intermitted and comes and goes constantly.

Occasionaly the immobiliser cuts in and it won't start, but this eventually clears.

Among all of this, the car drives perfectly (aside from steering, indicators and gears). It is due for a service but they have advised getting these issues sorted first.

Three garages have looked at it and reset all the warnings, after which they all return any time from a few seconds to several minutes later. They all experienced communication issues when connecting to the various ECUs and have suggested it could be a bad elcetrical connection somewhere.

The battery was suspected but replacing this had no effect. Particulate filter warning does not come on so it's not that.

I called my nearest Volvo main dealer (in Inverness) and they as much as said they're not interested in cars that old.

I bought a Thinkdiag device that connects to an app on my phone, and a few times when it wouldn't start I've used this to reset the ABS issue, which has then allowed me to start the car. But this is hit and miss as I get the same communication issues. I suspect this is due to the keyless ignition timing out whilst testing.

I'm hoping someone reading this will say, "I had this and all I had to do was...<insert something cheap and easy here>"!

Joking aside, any insights or suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks for reading.

BBA Nov 13th, 2023 18:36

My guess first need clean all terminals in CEM

waloob Nov 13th, 2023 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBA (Post 2922759)
My guess first need clean all terminals in CEM

Thanks, I'll try that.

The Thong Nov 13th, 2023 22:12

Get it hooked up to VIDA, it’ll give a clearer idea of what’s failing.

TT

waloob Nov 16th, 2023 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thong (Post 2922805)
Get it hooked up to VIDA, it’ll give a clearer idea of what’s failing.TT

No-one around here has a VIDA, nearest is the Volvo dealer an hour away and they're not responding.

I can't even get anyone local to look at the CEM.

The Thong Nov 16th, 2023 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by waloob (Post 2923199)
No-one around here has a VIDA, nearest is the Volvo dealer an hour away and they're not responding.

I can't even get anyone local to look at the CEM.

I’m assuming your nearest dealer is in Inverness. How’re you trying to contact them?

TT

waloob Nov 16th, 2023 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thong (Post 2923206)
I’m assuming your nearest dealer is in Inverness. How’re you trying to contact them?TT

Phone, they're an hour away. I've called about a dozen times and left messages, the receptionist told me 'off the record' that they're too busy to deal with old cars.

I'll persevere with local garages, I have a couple to try, otherwise I'll drive to the Volvo dealer, or call their head office.

The Thong Nov 16th, 2023 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by waloob (Post 2923214)
Phone, they're an hour away. I've called about a dozen times and left messages, the receptionist told me 'off the record' that they're too busy to deal with old cars.

I'll persevere with local garages, I have a couple to try, otherwise I'll drive to the Volvo dealer, or call their head office.

Gawd blimey…. That’s outrageous. I’d be contacting Volvo UK with that one. I’ve had this with VW and Citroen where I’ve been messed about by the dealers. It’s amazing how things start to move when H/O get onto them because a customer is going to make their product look bad. I feel your pain.

TT

Simmy Nov 16th, 2023 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by waloob (Post 2922708)
My 2014 reg v40 has been great for the last 4 years, but a while back I had a few errors come up (pedestrain safety service required) then the power steering stopped working. I was just parking up, and when I came back to the car it was ok. About a month later it happened again, then was ok again.

Since then the warnings have become more varied and frequent, and now they come up every time I use the car. I get every single possible warning, from ABS to low oil, in completely random order and multiple times (i.e. clear the message and it'll come back a few seconds or minutes later).

As well as all this the power steering stops working, indicators also don't work (hazards do), and it's dificult to get into 5th and 6th gear. Presumably this is due to running in engine protection mode (don't know the technical term!)?

I also get other errors relating to the handbrake being on, seatbelts not being fastened and even doors being opened. These cause the 'gong' to sound repeatedly, but this is also intermitted and comes and goes constantly.

Occasionaly the immobiliser cuts in and it won't start, but this eventually clears.

Among all of this, the car drives perfectly (aside from steering, indicators and gears). It is due for a service but they have advised getting these issues sorted first.

Three garages have looked at it and reset all the warnings, after which they all return any time from a few seconds to several minutes later. They all experienced communication issues when connecting to the various ECUs and have suggested it could be a bad elcetrical connection somewhere.

The battery was suspected but replacing this had no effect. Particulate filter warning does not come on so it's not that.

I called my nearest Volvo main dealer (in Inverness) and they as much as said they're not interested in cars that old.

I bought a Thinkdiag device that connects to an app on my phone, and a few times when it wouldn't start I've used this to reset the ABS issue, which has then allowed me to start the car. But this is hit and miss as I get the same communication issues. I suspect this is due to the keyless ignition timing out whilst testing.

I'm hoping someone reading this will say, "I had this and all I had to do was...<insert something cheap and easy here>"!

Joking aside, any insights or suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks for reading.

try joining vos Volvo owners Scotland. Facebook group and ask if any one has vida who will scan your car there are loads of volvo groups on Facebook join a few to get more volvo enthusiasts contacts.:regular_smile: ps check for any water ingress near the cem area.

The Thong Nov 16th, 2023 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by waloob (Post 2923214)

I’ve only ever found Volvo dealers to be mediocre for the price they charge so a kick up the ar5e needs to be dispensed from time to time. To be told they’re not interested in older models needs to be sorted out and hopefully with Volvo UK watching them why they do it. I’ve had wheel bolts left loose, damaged airbox, poor customer service while spending a lot of money with them. Time to get shouty mate.

TT