Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   XC90 locking question (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=87285)

bobdabuilda Jan 8th, 2010 12:25

XC90 locking question

During this recent cold snap I have taken to starting the car and leaving it running on the drive for 10 mins before leaving. The problem is that I cannot lock the car with my spare set of keys to prevent ne'er do wells nicking my pride n joy! I can lock the drivers door using the key in the lock but it doesn't lock all the other doors no matter what I try!! Arghh

On all my audis I could lock the entire car with the spare keys so WTF does volvo have such odd locking options? I could also open and close all my windows using the key fob on my audis but I cannot do this with the xc90-why?

paul chocks Jan 8th, 2010 17:52

Bob,

It works with mine....but I have to actually put the spare key in the lock and turn it like we used to do all those years ago - the remote doesn't work.

I do just what you want to do.

bobdabuilda Jan 8th, 2010 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul chocks (Post 609587)
Bob,

It works with mine....but I have to actually put the spare key in the lock and turn it like we used to do all those years ago - the remote doesn't work.

I do just what you want to do.

yes mine locks the drivers door but not the others when the engine is running- are you sure yours locks the other doors too?

RoscoMac Jan 8th, 2010 23:43

I have tried to do this too - but without success! The drivers door will lock with the key, but immediately unlocks again. Probably some design "feature" to stop you locking keys in car!

R.

paul chocks Jan 9th, 2010 00:55

I'm pretty sure the key locks all the doors. Its a bit late now, but I'll check tomorrow.

Vecais Jan 9th, 2010 06:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdabuilda (Post 609385)
I could also open and close all my windows using the key fob on my audis but I cannot do this with the xc90-why?

The remote on my XC60 will allow me to open all windows when unlocking and close all windows when locking. You have to enable this in the on-board computer Menu. Not sure if the XC90 is the same?

Frank Jan 9th, 2010 09:18

Mine is the same as RoscMac's.It locks all doors with the key in the door but unlocks them all as soon as you remove the key from the door lock. It will not lock any doors with the remote.

Frank

bobdabuilda Jan 9th, 2010 11:35

It seems like we all have different combinations of the same problem!

1)Mine will lock the drivers door only (by putting the key in the lock)with the engine running but leaves the other doors unlocked.

2)Some say that they can lock all doors with the key in the lock and engine running.

3)Others say that the all the doors lock with the key in the lock but then unlock when the key is removed- which is worse than my original situation!

Ergo there must be a way of fixing this problem via the onboard software.

PS- Forget trying to lock/unlock the doors with the remote as this is normal and irrelevant to the initial question.

paul chocks Jan 9th, 2010 13:21

Bob, you're right - the key only locks the drivers door. The other doors must have ben iced shut the other day, as I could have sworn they were locked.

yeoman Jan 9th, 2010 15:49

what you should try is manually locking all the doors once you are in the car... that is pushing down the knob on the doors bar the drivers.
Than exit the car and use the spare to lock the drivers door with the key( not the remote control)

I have not tried this but methinks( logically) it will work...... Let me know if it does.. cheers