Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Volvo Car Press Releases (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Volvo's new Euro 5 diesel S80 top performance and record-low (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=64112)

Bob Jan 7th, 2009 20:40

Volvo's new Euro 5 diesel S80 top performance and record-low

Volvo Cars is now introducing an entirely new 2.4-litre 5-cylinder diesel engine in the Volvo S80. It is in principle just the D5 badge and the five-cylinder configuration that it shares with the previous generation.

Click here to read the full report

Robbijay Feb 8th, 2009 17:56

Do we know when this is going into production, or is it already in the S80?

RoscoMac Feb 8th, 2009 22:34

Sounds good! A BMW 3.0d competitor perhaps?

Although I don't like the idea of no oil dipstick!! Merc operates this way, but I just think it is an unnecessary gimmick - assuming of course owners have the sense to check their oil regularly!

Laney760 Feb 9th, 2009 20:07

I saw my first ever S80 the other day, it was an 05 D5, fell in love with it. It is the only of the modern rounded 'Volvos' that I've seen that 'do it for me', probably its size had something to do with it, lol. I too would not like not having a traditional dipstick, displays can fail. Fantastic consumption and emissions figures though, what sort of price is one of these new?

tt82 Feb 9th, 2009 20:23

im enjoying havin my v70 d5 loan car, cant get over the sheer size of the thing, its nearly an suv. if this new engine is better than the existing d5 then i cant wait to have a go, this thing already takes off like its got a rocket up its arse.

dodgyken Feb 11th, 2009 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by tt82 (Post 460781)
im enjoying havin my v70 d5 loan car, cant get over the sheer size of the thing, its nearly an suv. if this new engine is better than the existing d5 then i cant wait to have a go, this thing already takes off like its got a rocket up its arse.

You should try it remapped to 210PS and 470NM :D :D :D

205PS from 2.4 litres would put it on par with the best the Germans are offering at the moment.

tt82 Feb 11th, 2009 18:26

ive often wonderded if they will do 3.0 litre D6, it would be espically nice as a V6

Clan Feb 11th, 2009 19:42

they already have a prototype 250 bhp unit based on the 3.2 , it seems Ford may have mothballed it though ..

dodgyken Feb 13th, 2009 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 461782)
they already have a prototype 250 bhp unit based on the 3.2 , it seems Ford may have mothballed it though ..

Should Volvo be split off - I would imagine it appearing quite quickly.

I think the problem lies with the contract they have with PSA for the 2.7 in the Jaguar. Ford would not want Volvo to have a "better" diesel than the Jag - nor can they ditch the 2.7 for the 3.2.

Ford really aren't very clever - but then we knew that anyway!!

Volvophile Feb 16th, 2009 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgyken (Post 462687)
Should Volvo be split off - I would imagine it appearing quite quickly.

I think the problem lies with the contract they have with PSA for the 2.7 in the Jaguar. Ford would not want Volvo to have a "better" diesel than the Jag - nor can they ditch the 2.7 for the 3.2.

Ford really aren't very clever - but then we knew that anyway!!

That 2.7 litre twin-turbo is outclassed anyway at this stage. BMW would easily be able to squeeze 207bhp out of a smaller engine and probably with a single turbo at this stage.

People outside the Volvo circle don't understand why Ford haven't shoehorned in this engine instead of the D5. It's all about brand individuality and the fact that the D5 unit was out a good few years before the Ford PSA unit.