Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   C30 Electrics : car only starts up when brake and clutch pressed in? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=317624)

stoke1863 Jun 15th, 2021 16:40

car only starts up when brake and clutch pressed in?

Hi chaps, forgive my knowledge when it comes to this, just helping out my Girlfriend with her 1.6 Diesel 2011 C30.

Recently her car wouldn't start, but if we rocked it in gear or pushed we could then start the car so i was assuming it was Starter Motor related.

She took it to a garage today and they changed the starter motor. She has driven it home parked up and now the car wont start again!

so we did the usual and tried to start it while it was rolling and now that wouldn't even work.

We worth both puzzled and she randomly held in the brake pedal as well as the clutch and the engine booted up! we tried this like 10 times and every time it will only start when the brake pedal is pressed in.

So procedure is clutch in, brake in, then turn the key. She is adamant that she has never had to engage the brake pedal to turn it on before since the day she has owned it.

WIthout this when you turn the key nothing happens at all, no clicking or any attempt to try and turn over. radio and electronics work as expected.

Has anyone experienced this?

This car has been a bit of a nightmare to be honest had various issues with the car going into limp mode as well, its been back and forth between various mechanics.

Markos01 Jun 15th, 2021 16:52

I've had manuals that will only start with clutch in, and autos that will only start with foot on the brake, but never both! Doesn't sound normal. Is it time to go to a main dealer for at least a diagnostic?

Simmy Jun 15th, 2021 18:50

sound like a faulty neutral position switch or clutch position switch get the codes read for a definative answer

cheshired5 Jun 15th, 2021 20:08

Don't take it to the garage who took your money to unnecessarily change a starter motor. :thumbs_up:

Clan Jun 16th, 2021 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoke1863 (Post 2745370)
Hi chaps, forgive my knowledge when it comes to this, just helping out my Girlfriend with her 1.6 Diesel 2011 C30.

Recently her car wouldn't start, but if we rocked it in gear or pushed we could then start the car so i was assuming it was Starter Motor related.

She took it to a garage today and they changed the starter motor. She has driven it home parked up and now the car wont start again!

so we did the usual and tried to start it while it was rolling and now that wouldn't even work.

We worth both puzzled and she randomly held in the brake pedal as well as the clutch and the engine booted up! we tried this like 10 times and every time it will only start when the brake pedal is pressed in.

So procedure is clutch in, brake in, then turn the key. She is adamant that she has never had to engage the brake pedal to turn it on before since the day she has owned it.

WIthout this when you turn the key nothing happens at all, no clicking or any attempt to try and turn over. radio and electronics work as expected.

Has anyone experienced this?

This car has been a bit of a nightmare to be honest had various issues with the car going into limp mode as well, its been back and forth between various mechanics.

You really should read your owners manual it is all in there , in fact you will find information in there that is not mentioned anywhere else . , yes you need the clutch pressed down to start the engine