Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   xc90 Help (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=324981)

Mick130 Apr 22nd, 2022 18:45

xc90 Help

Hi
Have a 2012 d5 xc90 (95k miles) giving me some trouble.
Car started fine and i drove 5mins to the park, was there an hr or so and found car hard to start when leaving- cranked for 25-30seconds.
Dropped kids off and headed out to check if car was going ok, on tick over could watch rev counter fluctuating very slightly and feel engine not just right. Car seemed fine when driving but stalling when sitting at a junction, again started after some cranking.
Drove home and parked in shed and tried the next morning again, haven't been able to get it started since.
Put new fuel filter on and loads of fuel to the pump. Local fella plugged it in and no error codes showing, he checked rail pressure etc which was ok and injectors were pulsing.
Any ideas what could be the problem

Thank you.

TruckbusUK Apr 22nd, 2022 19:11

Did you change both fuel filters?

john langrick Apr 22nd, 2022 19:46

Just a thought, but when cranking on start, does the tacho move?

The erratic movement of tacho as earlier symptom could indicate faulty crank position sensor, but that will store a code.

You really need to try and check codes with vida or a good code reader.

Just a suggestion

John l

Mick130 Apr 22nd, 2022 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckbusUK (Post 2820493)
Did you change both fuel filters?

Both filters? I didn't know there was two. I changed the cartridge one in front of the rear wheel, where is the second one

Mick130 Apr 22nd, 2022 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by john langrick (Post 2820498)
Just a thought, but when cranking on start, does the tacho move?

The erratic movement of tacho as earlier symptom could indicate faulty crank position sensor, but that will store a code.

You really need to try and check codes with vida or a good code reader.

I am not sure if the tacho moves or not when cranking, I will check it out.
I know nothing about code readers but the local guy checked it with two different readers. The first was just like a normal tablet and the second seems like a purpose-built big, chunky, rubber code reader.
Just a suggestion

John l

Thank you.

TruckbusUK Apr 22nd, 2022 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick130 (Post 2820505)
Both filters? I didn't know there was two. I changed the cartridge one in front of the rear wheel, where is the second one

On the engine facing the front before the intercooler ... its got a 32mm? (cant honestly remember the size) hex moulding on the top .... can be a pia to get undone without a socket but is achievable.

Clan Apr 22nd, 2022 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckbusUK (Post 2820516)
On the engine facing the front before the intercooler ... its got a 32mm? (cant honestly remember the size) hex moulding on the top .... can be a pia to get undone without a socket but is achievable.

Thats an oil filter for the engine

Mick130 Apr 22nd, 2022 21:43

Got a PM but apparently I cannot reply to a PM until I have 30 posts.

No, the problem started before I tried changing the fuel filter and there is loads of diesel coming as far as the HP pump.

TruckbusUK Apr 22nd, 2022 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2820518)
Thats an oil filter for the engine

You are correct ... apologies brain freeze :eek:

NMB Apr 23rd, 2022 09:10

It could be a whole host of things - dependent of service history - I would recommend p[lugging in VIDA as it could be Injectors, Fuel, Glow plugs, sensors......

Any fault finding without VIDA is just pure guesswork.