Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Events and Meetings (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   VOC National Rally & BKV 2022 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=324847)

nigel335 Apr 15th, 2022 18:22

VOC National Rally & BKV 2022

Volvo Owners’ Club 60th Anniversary National Rally & BKV 2022 Sponsored by Chris Knott Insurance
Sunday 26th June 2022

Please make sure you read the important ticketing information at the end of this feature.

The 2022 Volvo Owners’ Club National Rally and BKV (Best Kept Volvo) will be held at the Stratford upon Avon Racecourse CV37 9SE The National was last held here in 2017 and received extremely positive feedback. The main event will be on Sunday June 26th. As usual the Club will be paying for caravan and camping facilities from Wednesday 22nd until mid-day on Monday 27th June 2022. Dave and Jan Ovenden have once again, kindly agreed to act as marshals for caravans and tents, so please report to them on arrival.

Classes for BKV’s 2018

Class 1) PV*
Class 2 )Amazon
Class 3 )1800
Class 4) 140/164
Class 5) 200
Class 6) 300/66*
Class 7) 400
Class 8) 700/900
Class 9) S/V 40 (96-04)
Class10) P1 Platform - C30 (06-13),S40 (04-12) V40 (2013-), V50 (04-12), C70 (06-13).
Class 11) P80 (Phase 1) - 850, C70 (97-05) S/V70/V70XC (97-00).
Class 12) Phase 2 (P2) - S60 (00-09) V70 (00-07), V70XC/XC70 (00-07), S80 (98-06),
XC90 (03-14)
Class 13) Phase 3 - S60 (10-), V60 (10- 2018) , XC60 (09-2017), V70 (07-), XC70 (07-), S80 (07-).
Class 14) SPA - XC90 (14-), S/V90 (16-) XC60 (2017 On) XC 40 2017 on ) V60 (2018-)
Class 15 CMA platform (40 Series 2017-)
Class Non standard

Would anyone willing to act as a judge on Sunday please email Bob Isaac with their details.

VOC members wishing to enter their car into the Best Kept Volvo competition should collect an entry form from the Club official at the entrance to the site. You must produce a current VOC membership card to be eligible to enter. A condition of entry of vehicles for judging is that it MUST be road legal and have been driven to the event to qualify.*(If you are not a Club member but wish to join today the fee is £30.00 and you will then be eligible to enter the competition. Please see a Club official to join.)

Please leave the completed entry form on the dashboard. The judges will need to access the boot and under bonnet in order to conduct the judging so please leave the car open.*(You are responsible for the security of your property so please do not leave valuables in your car.)*The latest time to enter your car for judging is 1.00pm. Most regrettably if you arrive after that time you will not be able to enter the competition.

If for some reason by 15.00pm you find that your car still has its judging form in it and it appears your car has not to have been judged PLEASE contact a Club official and let them know and we will arrange for it to be judged.

It is anticipated that the raffle draw will take place around 15.30pm followed by the presentation of the awards.

There are number of water taps on the site. Dogs on leads are welcome, please clear up your dogs mess, bring your own water bowl. The usual excellent catering facilities will again be provided by Darren Solly. On the Friday night Paul & Alison Wildmsmith will put on another excellent quiz night for us.

Sunday’s attractions include:

Complimentary hot and cold drinks throughout the day
60th Anniversary gift will be given to all members on arrival
Anniversary Cupcakes in the afternoon
A comprehensive raffle with the chance to win a brand new set of Pirelli Tyres kindly donated by Pirelli, plus lots of other exciting prizes. (Money raised will be donated to Sue Ryder, the Club’s chosen Charity for this year)
Chris Knott, the Club’s insurance partner and sponsor of the trophies will be in attendance.
Autojumble
Sales and Wants Board
Club Merchandice
If you have been a member of the VOC for at least 6 months you can take advantage of the Volvo Affinity scheme when buying a new car.*

The Saturday night sees a return of the very popular ABBA tribute – this time the band will be ‘ABBA Fever’. There will be a very impressive evening meal with a choice of dishes. Please bring your own drink! The cost is only £15 per person and is as usual subsidised by the Club.

Saturday Night Evening Meal Menu

Starter
Country Style Pork Pate
or
Melon Capri – Prawns and melon salad in a flavoured Mayo dressing
or
Grilled Vegetable Terrine (Vegetarian option)

Main Courses
Coq au vin
or
Salmon en-croute with lemon sauce
or
Courgette and Chickpea “No meat Balls” with rich spiced tomato sauce (Vegetarian option)

Dauphinois potatoes and Seasonal Vegetables

Dessert
Classic lemon Tart
or
Millefuille with fruit and cream filling.

Numbers for the Saturday night meal and entertainment are limited so please order your tickets and menu choices through Dave and Jan Ovenden by Thursday 16th June in order that numbers can be confirmed with the caterers.

We hope you enjoy the day. If you wish to speak with any of the Club Directors or other officials please go to the membership desk and your enquiry will be dealt with there.

NigelAyling/ Jaki Ragg
Board of Directors
Volvo Owners’Club

National Ticketing and Attendance Information
This is a Volvo Owners’ Club event for Club members, and entry to the Rally and BKV competition is free as in all the previous years on production/proof of current Club membership at the entrance.
The Club has previously always welcomed non-members to the National without any ticketing requirements. This year the Club would still like to welcome non-members but they MUST register and obtain a ticket for themselves and anyone attending with them. There are a limited number of tickets available and these are free granting entrance to the Rally, but do not include the 60th Anniversary Mug, or BKV competition. (Food and drinks can however still be purchased at the venue)
Tickets for non-members can be obtained by visiting:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/volvo...s-280276563747
(Please only register for tickets if you plan to attend) If you decide to upgrade your ticket on the day and join the Club you will be welcome to enter the BKV competition, receive a complimentary drink and anniversary mug.

Moomoo Jun 10th, 2022 14:53

What time is a good time to arrive at the do? I’m an early bird , so usually, too early !😳

nigel335 Jun 10th, 2022 14:56

BKV 2022 at Stratford

Arrival time after 0900 please give us time to be ready

Many thanks
Nigel

Moomoo Jun 10th, 2022 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigel335 (Post 2828521)
Arrival time after 0900 please give us time to be ready

Many thanks
Nigel

Thanks Nigel.

Andrew.

wrinkles Jun 15th, 2022 20:03

Will it be ok to sleep in my car as I am not able to erect a tent due to breathing problems please.

nigel335 Jun 16th, 2022 08:37

National BKV

can you ring me on 07547058790
Nigel

classicswede Jun 21st, 2022 22:16

What is the reasoning behind this one?

"The Club has previously always welcomed non-members to the National without any ticketing requirements. This year the Club would still like to welcome non-members but they MUST register and obtain a ticket for themselves and anyone attending with them. There are a limited number of tickets available and these are free granting entrance to the Rally,
Tickets for non-members can be obtained by visiting:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/volvo...s-280276563747

I have always suggested non members to show up for the BKV to at least see what it is all about. With so many that will only show if the weather is right this move really seems a step in the wrong direction. Is some poor chap turning up from Inverness going to be turned away as not got a ticket‽

Fergie35 Jun 22nd, 2022 16:15

The club will always welcome non members to the National BKV.

The event is principally a day for the members, being paid for by the club from membership subscriptions.

We now have a much greater presence on social media and we simply do not want the event to be taken over by non members. It would not be fair on the fee paying members.

We have widely advertised that non members will need a ticket this year which they can obtain at no cost.

I believe some tickets are still available.

Jaki Ragg

Chris152 Jun 24th, 2022 16:46

It says 'sold out' now, a real shame (I didn't realise it was limited). My lad and I planned to go but it'd now cost £70 for two memberships, never mind petrol to drive a 240 for 5.5 hours there and back. Hmmm...

Simmy Jun 24th, 2022 21:29

wait for a closer bkv event theres usualy more than one

classicswede Jun 24th, 2022 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2830913)
wait for a closer bkv event theres usualy more than one

There is one every year, as they are always in the UK the event is never far away. Its only a 4 hour drive for me on Sunday morning

classicswede Jun 24th, 2022 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris152 (Post 2830877)
It says 'sold out' now, a real shame (I didn't realise it was limited). My lad and I planned to go but it'd now cost £70 for two memberships, never mind petrol to drive a 240 for 5.5 hours there and back. Hmmm...

I will ask if anything can be done

You might find you want to join the club anyway but I fully get it should be a option rather than being forced

classicswede Jun 24th, 2022 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fergie35 (Post 2830548)
The club will always welcome non members to the National BKV.

The event is principally a day for the members, being paid for by the club from membership subscriptions.

We now have a much greater presence on social media and we simply do not want the event to be taken over by non members. It would not be fair on the fee paying members.

Jaki Ragg

The social media presence has not changed at all in recent years so I do not see the logic there.

I fully agree the event is for members but turning away non members detracts from the members experience in my opinion. Non members can not compete in the BKV so there is no issue there. Non members usually turn up in a Volvo. Non members often buy from the traders/autojumblers, non members do boost the event. The BKV is also the golden opportunity to sell membership. Every year I speak to at least one non member who tells me they have decided to join. Holding them at gun point is hardly the way to sell

ITSv40 Jun 25th, 2022 07:20

I was a member 40 odd years ago, but lapsed membership as the local group - that was in existence at the time - were only interested in caravanning, something I have no interest in.

Although I remained a constant Volvo owner and attended BKV in recent years I never felt the urge to join the club. Last year I decided on the day to join and enter the C70 in the BKV and pleasantly surprised came second in class. I have thoroughly enjoyed my membership in the last year and will continue.

john.wigley Jun 25th, 2022 08:16

As a long-standing member of the club, I fully concur with 'ITSv40's sentiments, above.

The VOC is an excellent, well-run club that offers something for everyone, be they or their cars young or old whatever their interests. Let us not forget that it is run by volunteers for the members and an awful lot of work is done 'behind the scenes' in planning and staging an event such as the 'National'.

It is also unusual in making events such as this FOC to members - many other clubs charge - often significantly - to attend such events. That we are free to do so is also much appreciated and a valuable benefit of membership.

In the past, the club has welcomed non-members to this and similar events, also without charge. This has not changed. It is indeed an opportunity to promote the advantages of membership, but nobody is being held at 'gunpoint'.

A change in the rules by the organising committee requiring pre-booking is not unreasonable for the reasons explained above to meet changing circumstances. It has been published in the magazine and on this forum, so most interested parties, members and non-members alike, will be aware of the change. Pre-booking also indicates a degree of commitment to attend, and gives the organisers an indication on numbers and interest.

This forum is an excellent resource populated by both members and non-members alike. Surely it is not an imposition to ask non-members wishing to attend, where they will be most welcome, to register their intent to do so.

Let us not allow a small administrative change for very good reasons to be blown out of proportion into a major issue that could overshadow the event and spoil our enjoyment of it. I am sure arrangements will have been made by the organisers to deal sympathetically with the very few who may have slipped through the net and may therefore be unaware of the requirement. Finally, how much, or how little, one spends in order to attend is a personal matter which not has nothing to do with the organisers, but is also totally outwith their control.

Like us also hope for good weather and an enjoyable day for everyone - whether they are already a member or yet to become one!

Regards, John.

JDH Jun 25th, 2022 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris152 (Post 2830877)

I have two spare tickets for tomorrow which i obtained then subsequently became a member so will be attending via my membership , they have names printed on them so if they are transferable i would be happy to give them to you so you can attend the show. If you can find out if this can be done via the organisers i will find a way to send them over to you via email perhaps.

Chris152 Jun 25th, 2022 17:36

Thank you, JDH - PM sent.
Chris

Chris Wickers Jun 25th, 2022 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDH (Post 2830990)
I have two spare tickets for tomorrow which i obtained then subsequently became a member so will be attending via my membership , they have names printed on them so if they are transferable i would be happy to give them to you so you can attend the show. If you can find out if this can be done via the organisers i will find a way to send them over to you via email perhaps.

No problem to transfer them.

Thanks for joining.

Kind regards

Chris

JDH Jun 25th, 2022 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris152 (Post 2830996)
Thank you, JDH - PM sent.
Chris

Sorry I can't reply to the PM as I have not met the quota of posts to do so yet , but thats great you have it sorted have a safe journey down and may bump into you tomorrow :cool:

Moomoo Jun 25th, 2022 18:17

Forum handle badges would be useful!👍

classicswede Jun 25th, 2022 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITSv40 (Post 2830940)
I was a member 40 odd years ago, but lapsed membership as the local group - that was in existence at the time - were only interested in caravanning, something I have no interest in.

Although I remained a constant Volvo owner and attended BKV in recent years I never felt the urge to join the club. Last year I decided on the day to join and enter the C70 in the BKV and pleasantly surprised came second in class. I have thoroughly enjoyed my membership in the last year and will continue.

This is exactly my point. You were able to show up on the day and given the option to join. No pressure and a friendly welcome and you have kept your membership going. Just one of the many success stories.

In all honest when I spotted this the other day I thought it was some daft covid measure. I can not say I have ever noticed any issues with swarms of non members showing up and detracting from a BKV.

If it is really felt that non members are over crowding the BKV then why not charge a small entry fee refundable on purchase of club membership? Just a thought

Clark Jun 25th, 2022 21:22

I am a member and plan to bring my adult son and adult nephew with me. We will both be in one car. Can they enter with me under my membership or will they have to sign up to be a member?

We are looking forward to it :)

classicswede Jun 25th, 2022 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark (Post 2831039)
I am a member and plan to bring my adult son and adult nephew with me. We will both be in one car. Can they enter with me under my membership or will they have to sign up to be a member?

We are looking forward to it :)

I am sure they can entre under your membership with you

Clark Jun 25th, 2022 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicswede (Post 2831041)
I am sure they can entre under your membership with you

Thanks for your hopeful message bud. I wish I had your confidence. I'm trying to find specific guidance for people like me and I can't find any. The risk is they'll both have to pay for memberships, in which case it's not worth me attending sadly. Hopefully Nigel read this and is able to respond.

omc 47 Jun 25th, 2022 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark (Post 2831043)
Thanks for your hopeful message bud. I wish I had your confidence. I'm trying to find specific guidance for people like me and I can't find any. The risk is they'll both have to pay for memberships, in which case it's not worth me attending sadly. Hopefully Nigel read this and is able to respond.

Hi Clark,
l'm sure l'm not speaking out of turn when l say that l'm in the same predicament where by l've got an adult grandson non member coming with me tomorrow.
l rang Nigel Ayling earlier this week and he OK'd entry without booking if we are in the same car so you should be fine.
He said to just tell the gate Nigel has sanctioned it.
Look out for us tomorrow we are trailering my Amazon with my 940 Wentworth,looking forward to meeting everyone.......selling some grey trim if anyone interested.

Chris Wickers Jun 26th, 2022 07:05

If you are in the same car that is fine.

There are many points raised in this thread, and I will reply properly within the next 48 hours.

Kind regards

Chris

Dippydog Jun 26th, 2022 08:26

Does this ticket idea also extend to the Northern BKV at the end of next month?

Sparkyfixit Jun 26th, 2022 10:06

Late to the party...

I've only just this moment discovered that the Stratford event was on, right on my doorstep! I shan't be attending though due to no club membership, lack of availability of guest tickets, and zero car prep. I can however offer backup if anyone has vehicle troubles whilst attending. I have a workshop full of tools, car trailer, towing vehicles, all 15 minutes from the venue. Feel free to give me a shout if in need, as I'm normally odd jobbing near/at home on weekends. 👍

Moomoo Jun 26th, 2022 16:32

Just arrived home from the do! Splendid turnout!

My poor back gave out with standing about talking! Met some great folks, loved every minute from 9:20 to 1:20. Four hours well spent!

Massive thanks to all the organisers for a job well done!

Special mention for the burger van people, great tea AND coffee, not the usual standard and free! 👍

john.wigley Jun 26th, 2022 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moomoo (Post 2831123)
Just arrived home from the do! Splendid turnout!

My poor back gave out with standing about talking! Met some great folks, loved every minute from 9:20 to 1:20. Four hours well spent!

Massive thanks to all the organisers for a job well done!

Special mention for the burger van people, great tea AND coffee, not the usual standard and free! 👍

Fully agree, 'Moomoo'. Sorry to have missed you, I support your suggestion re name badges - in fact I've made the same one myself. Perhaps blank ones available on reception that folk could fill in and use if they so wish?

We were there from 11.30 until 15.30 - got home around 17.30. Not in the V70 this time unfortunately, but at least it was Swedish!! Traffic a bit grim round Brum on the way back but otherwise OK.

Regards, John.

Moomoo Jun 26th, 2022 19:58

What is the procedure to access the judge’s mark sheets following a BKV.

NOT that I have any expectations!😂👍

Fergie35 Jun 26th, 2022 20:29

Two quick answers as I've only just arrived home, after what seems to have been a very enjoyable day.

There is no ticketing requirement for the Northern BKV this year.

Anybody who wishes to receive a copy of their scores should email me at the email address in Driver with name, class and car reg. We cannot supply scores for other members.

I have to add though that a lot of people who registered for tickets did not turn up on the day.

Jaki Ragg

Purple Moose Jun 26th, 2022 21:57

Sadly only attended this briefly today, and as a walk in as my 940 cut out and wouldn’t restart about half a mile down the road. Never having been to anything VOC related before but a nice mix of cars on display, some really lovely examples. Was this a good turnout or smaller than usual? I only have Saab owners and 2CV owners meets to compare this to!

Thankfully my car problem was only water in the engine from the car wash, and after a period sulking on the Evesham Road we made it the 150 miles home no bother, even getting a little convoy with a pink 940 on M6 Toll!

classicswede Jun 26th, 2022 22:18

Arrived home around 8:30, been a decent BKV and my lad had a great time. The steam train was a great idea and went down very well but both the young and old kids :regular_smile:

Not sure how numbers compared to recent years but numbers on the older models at least can not have been far off from recent years.

Location was not bad only being just over 200 miles away.

Good to see everyone there and would have been great to have some more hours in the day to have talked more

Thanks to everyone involved with organising and marshalling today

omc 47 Jun 26th, 2022 23:02

Thanks to everyone who made the day very enjoyable, hard work behind the scenes is never easy and then there's the long drive home.
First time for me to have both the Amazon and the 940 Wentworth at a VOC event.
Grandson enjoyed the day with me and the little cakes went down well too,once again many thanks all.

Chris152 Jun 27th, 2022 08:10

My lad loved it and fwiw, is now planning to join the Club - I think he has to, as he bought one of the Club t-shirts! Nice to chat with so many people about their cars. Thanks all,
C

classicswede Jun 27th, 2022 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris152 (Post 2831184)
My lad loved it and fwiw, is now planning to join the Club - I think he has to, as he bought one of the Club t-shirts! Nice to chat with so many people about their cars. Thanks all,
C

Really glad you had a great time and have decided to join. Prime example of my point I think

paulcas Jun 27th, 2022 13:57

This was our first VOC National Rally attendance and would just like to say well done to the VOC board for a successful event.

The Saturday evening meal event and Abba tribute band were very enjoyable. Myself and my wife were fortunate enough to sit at the same table with Jakki and Chris so got some information about how the VOC is run and what future events might look like ( eg possible trips to Belgium and/or Sweden )

Re the parking up of cars on the Sunday, we thought that the mixing of all the different Volvo models worked well.

Already looking forward to the next one :)

ilmiont Jun 27th, 2022 15:14

Thank you to all the organisers for running a thoroughly enjoyable day. So many lovely cars and interesting chats with other owners. The field looked brilliant when the sun came out!

nigel335 Jun 27th, 2022 16:35

BKV 26 June 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purple Moose (Post 2831158)
Sadly only attended this briefly today, and as a walk in as my 940 cut out and wouldn’t restart about half a mile down the road. Never having been to anything VOC related before but a nice mix of cars on display, some really lovely examples. Was this a good turnout or smaller than usual? I only have Saab owners and 2CV owners meets to compare this to!

Thankfully my car problem was only water in the engine from the car wash, and after a period sulking on the Evesham Road we made it the 150 miles home no bother, even getting a little convoy with a pink 940 on M6 Toll!

It was me that chatted with you and your family as you arrived by foot Very happy that you enjoyed the day and even more that the car dried out and you got home safely. Hope to see you at future events
Nigel