Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Engine oil leakage XC60 2012 D5 AWD (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=320129)

Adrian B Sep 22nd, 2021 06:22

Engine oil leakage XC60 2012 D5 AWD

Hi. Noticed my oil leak is getting worse!
Initially I thought the gasket between the oil filter housing and the engine block was at fault but Iam not convinced as yet.
The oil seems to be escaping from under the alternator area down eventually coating the Aircon compressor. Before I remove any bits including the alternator has anyone got some idea based on their experiences? I know it still could be the oil filter housing but underbonnet air turbulence could be moving the down flow of the oil leak towards and under the alternator?
regards

Adrian B Sep 22nd, 2021 13:01

Just been on a short trip and checked on return under the hood. Noticed a leak where the oil filter plastic cap mates withe rest of the filter housing. I have already replaced the seal when changing the filter and the other oring on the mating thread . I dear not tighten the cap with the 36mm socket it's already solid tight! No cracks detected on the black plastic cap either? It could be the total leak problem. Any ideas other than buying a new full filter housing plus seal at £200 ish? When I can clean the engine in the specific area next week, hopefully then as time goes by I can trace the source of the leak! Also when I remove the under belly engine tray to do this it may be possible using a mirror expose the leaks source. Any other info is appreciated. Regards

wilbydoughboy Sep 22nd, 2021 14:27

Was the gasket that sits in the oil filter the same as the one that came out. I noticed that when I changed my oil filter there was 2 types of gaskets, one round and one chamfered with a tab. Maybe you have the wrong gasket or it is not seated correctly.

Adrian B Sep 22nd, 2021 14:56

I will try that first, a cheap fix👍

Adrian B Sep 30th, 2021 07:26

Changed part 31274139 and sealed the nipple hose as per the YouTube video fix it had a small leak through the electrical connector as well!
The main source of oil was out of the oil filter cap due to the seal being the incorrect design even though it fitted into the head of the cap perfectly! It now has the tab type in. Thanks for the heads up. Regards

siddidy Dec 25th, 2022 23:42

I am having same problem with my 2010 2.4d xc60. Oil leaking from filter cap. Have tried resitting the seal many times but didn't help. There is a oring on the housing itself but don't know what's the part no for that. Can u please share the YouTube link that helped u.
Regards

Adrian B Dec 26th, 2022 05:57

Dealer cheapest £6 ish.
I have sent you a PM

siddidy Dec 26th, 2022 16:17

Thanks for the part no. I have checked the bleed nipple but there is no like leaking from there. I hope replacing this o ring will solve the issue. Is there any specific way to install the oil seal which comes with the filter? I used Man filter and nade sure the seal sits in the groove inside the filter cap with tab facing upwords. Cap doesn't show any cracks too.
Thanks for the help.
Regards

Adrian B Dec 26th, 2022 16:21

I bought one of these o ring seals did not cure the leak!
I have sent you a personal message on here if you wish to check it I can explain a lot easier than txting

RDesign4Life Mar 29th, 2023 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian B (Post 2867475)
I bought one of these o ring seals did not cure the leak!
I have sent you a personal message on here if you wish to check it I can explain a lot easier than txting

What was the cure for your leak @Adrian B ?

I have a small leak there too. When I did my interim oil change last Summer at 6 months I cleaned everything up perfectly and it was still dry as a bone right up until Jan this year when the main dealer did the annual service. Now it's weeping oil. How come they are worse at this than me?